VeggieBoards banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I make bean burgers once in a while and I've experimented with using different beans and veggies. I always put lots of garlic in and sometimes sage, but there is just something missing.

What is a good spice or flavouring that will give my burgers a kick and not taste so 'beany'?

·
Registered
180 Posts
Well if you like it Spicy!

You should try adding cumin and cayenne. Cumin adds a bit of smoky earthy flavour and Cayenne is spicy!

Sometimes I add jalapeno if I am making something with black beans-it creates a mexican flavour.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
I would add a bit, maybe a tablespoon or two, of peanut butter. Yes!

And try a bit of marjoram, oregano, onion powder, a tablespoon or two of ketchup or tomato sauce or bit of tomato paste. Definitely use a "beefy" addition such as soysauce, vegetarian oyster sauce, or, even better, if available a teaspoon or so of marmite. A bit of liquid smoke would do miracles! Or for smoky with a bite, add some chipotle chiles, dried or from the can. Only a little though, it's hot!

If you want, add some rehydrated tvp for a more burger-like texture. That might help to take the edge off the beaniness

·
Registered
828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
what is tvp? I have never seen liquid smoke in the store, but I have never looked. Is it common in stores outside of big cities?

I actually have some vegimite that my cousin brought me from Australia. Will that work like marmite? I tried it and it was the most disgusting thing ever.

I will definitely add chile peppers when I make them for myself, but my parents don't like spicy foods, so usually I make them tame and add hot sauce on top later to mine.

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
tvp is textured vegetable protein

I usually find liquid smoke over where the steak sauces are

I chop up sprouts coarsely and put them in my burger mix - kind of lightens it up. Instant plain oats also does this.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
vegemite subs perfectly for marmite. I don't like it straight either! I use it *in* things, like broths, seitans, burgers, or anything to add a "beefiness."

Yes, liquid smoke should be in all regular ol' grocery stores. You can ask an employee if you don't feel like going on a hunt; it comes in small, dark bottles, usually in the condiments section.

TVP is Texturized Vegetable Protein, also called TSP, Texturized Soy Protein. It's dried, fatfree soy or vegetable protein. It is excellent as a meat sub. It comes in flakes or crumbles that look like granola. There are some places that sell already-flavored kinds, like "chicken," "pork," "ham," "bacon," or "beef." Most health markets have it and usually even little independent health stores or vitamin shops that have small food sections. You need to rehydrate it in hot water unless otherwise specified in a recipe. It comes out looking like hamburger. If you look at labels of veggie burgers, sausages, chicken, etc., you will almost always see "soy protein" or "concentrated soy protein."

Here's a picture of how you'll see it packaged, this is the plain kind:

Here is an excellent site to bookmark by the way -- it's a great resource -- it's called the "Cook's Thesaurus" Here is the soy section:

http://www.foodsubs.com/Soyprod.html

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
I second the peanut butter suggestion! I put peanut butter or tahini in my bean burgers, and usually a little rice, too. Occasionally some miso--kind of depends on what I've got around.

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
Cumin, perhaps, but I'd suggest coriander myself. I love the stuff. You migh twant to experiment with spices. But if you want to give it a spicy kick as in "spicy = hot" then go with the cayenne pepper. But if you feel it needs more of a spicy kick as in "spicy = flavour" then try using cumin.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts