VeggieBoards banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
the mosquito topic made me think of this..

why would you not do everything possible to avoid being bitten by insects when they carry so many diseases?? Yet, i am sure many do not hesitate to go for a drive..

and does anyone have solutions to limit, or even prevent, the loss of life from driving??

i am sorry if these seem like dumb questions, but i feel that the more i know, the better i can be.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Bring a bottle of bug repellent where ever you go to avoid being bitten.
I don't know about the other ones though, sorry.

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
*Looks at thread title*

Ohh, well you see, when Mommy and Daddy love each other very much...

*looks at OP*

Ah. Um. Never mind.

I stated in the mosquitoes thread that I believed that, if there was actual danger involved, and it was either you or the insect, I don't see the problem with killing it. Sort of like you have a gun, and are about to be mauled by a bear that has cornered you. If there's no other way, then self-preservation kicks in. My issue is with people killing things that aren't really going to hurt them, just for the sake of them being annoying.

Mosquitoes can carry Malaria and some other diseases, but if you live in an area that is "civilized" (I use that term loosely because it pisses me off) then Malaria and Yellow Fever aren't really going to be an issue. Other flies and gnats can carry similar things, but mosquitoes seem to be the biggest risk. I suppose it really depends on where you live, what the risk factor is for that disease, and what lengths you're comfortable going to to prevent loss of life.

As for driving, there's really no way to prevent bugs from splattering on your windshield, unfortunately. Avoiding hitting larger animals is a lot easier, but it still happens to the best, most well-meaning of people who are taken by surprise by a scared animal that runs out in front of the road before they can do anything about it. Driving can be risky, for you and other beings, so once again, it just depends on how comfortable you are with the fact that you might end up killing a few animals, even without meaning to.

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryRabbit View Post

and does anyone have solutions to limit, or even prevent, the loss of life from driving??
Take public transit? I think you're much less likely to die on a bus. If your driving yourself, there's only so much you can do. The obvious: slow down, don't drink, don't be distracted by phones, passengers, music, etc. If someone else is being an a hole on the road, there isn't much you can do about it. A lot of people don't drive safely until after they've been scared straight by an accident.

Edit: oops I thought you meant human life

·
Ankle Biter
9,333 Posts
Don't text while driving. It helps you avoid squirrels in the road.

·
Registered
6,609 Posts
I am always alert if I'm driving in the evening and at night, when you are more likely to see deer. I can't believe how fast some people go on those country roads when it's so dark. I wonder how many dead deer could be avoided if people drove more carefully. Or dead people for that matter.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
I didn't read the mosquito thread. But if one lands on me, it's a goner. As are flies in my home. Spiders go as gently as possible into a little box and are put outside. I guess we all have our standards and these are mine.

I drive home from work later at night and watch very closely for animals on the road. It's always a worry. I hate seeing animals dead on the road. Some people out there don't care. There is not exact solution for this as long as one drives and uses products in this modern world.

·
Registered
4,026 Posts
Quote:

wear a seatbelt
drive a newer vehicle that has airbags
get your bakes checked regularly
obey traffic laws
refrain from driving when emotional or drunk
use your turn signals and hazard lights when appropriate
pur your kids in proper carseats or booster seats
limit driving as much as possible
get regular eye and ear exams to ensure good vision and hearing
etc etc etc

·
Registered
8,743 Posts
Quote:

why would you not do everything possible to avoid being bitten by insects when they carry so many diseases?? Yet, i am sure many do not hesitate to go for a drive..

you know those electronic insect things that are supposed to emit a sound that is offensive to insects so they stay away? Maybe you could get a few and hook them through the cigarette light of your car, and then mount them on your dash. That might help you avoid the loss of insect life on your windshield.

You could also wave your hand really fast out the front part of your window and maybe try to divert insects coming at your windshield.

If you drive really slowly, like 2 miles per hour, that would definitely help too.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irizary View Post

you know those electronic insect things that are supposed to emit a sound that is offensive to insects so they stay away? Maybe you could get a few and hook them through the cigarette light of your car, and then mount them on your dash. That might help you avoid the loss of insect life on your windshield.

You could also wave your hand really fast out the front part of your window and maybe try to divert insects coming at your windshield.

If you drive really slowly, like 2 miles per hour, that would definitely help too.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevenseas View Post

I get a weird vibe from the OP.
Me, too. Frankly, I think he or she is a troll. Bugs on the windshield are gonna happen. It can't really be helped unless you choose not to drive or drive as slow as a snail, which would defeat the purpose of driving. But then, you might accidentally run over a bug on the road. Even if you walk, you might accidentally step on one. May as well stay home and sit on the couch all day for fear of killing an insect.

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. T View Post

Me, too. Frankly, I think he or she is a troll. Bugs on the windshield are gonna happen. It can't really be helped unless you choose not to drive or drive as slow as a snail, which would defeat the purpose of driving. But then, you might accidentally run over a bug on the road. Even if you walk, you might accidentally step on one. May as well stay home and sit on the couch all day for fear of killing an insect.
Careful with the trollcalling. I was warned for that.

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
Quote:

the mosquito topic made me think of this..

i am sorry if these seem like dumb questions, but i feel that the more i know, the better i can be.
Those are honestly not topics that keep me awake at night.

·
Registered
120 Posts
LOL I love how people think the OP means how to prevent killing himself/herself.

·
Registered
120 Posts
LOL I love how people think the OP means how to prevent killing himself/herself.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts