VeggieBoards banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I made some almond burgers last night for our macro potluck. (Sorry, I can't give out the recipe because it's from a book that is being written and is soon to be published.) But I had a few problems, so I thought I'd ask here.<br><br><br><br>
Some people at the dinner said, "Thanks for the cookies." Well,<br><br>
they weren't cookies, but I tried to shape them into sort of mini-burgers or "meatballs" and they came out looking like homemade oatmeal cookies.<br><br><br><br>
This was not really a problem. The problem, I felt, was that in trying to shape them by hand and place them on the cookie sheet/pan to bake, I was wasting a lot of space and not making them uniform. I was wondering if there was any sort of cookie mold(mould?) or similar device that anyone has used and could recommend. And any such device for shaping a full-sized burger patty?<br><br><br><br>
Perhaps I should add that the "dough" for the almond burgers was very "sticky" like cookie dough and not the sort of consistency that you could easily shape into a burger patty with your hands. I.e., it seemed like it would stick to your hands more easily than it would stick together in the form of a patty.<br><br><br><br>
I also did manage to burn the "cookies" in the pan on the bottom rack. Not too badly, but enough that they were set aside and not taken to the potluck. Even those on the upper rack were a bit blackened on the bottom. I was wondering what can be done to prevent "bottom blackening." Do you just make sure the oven racks are placed as far away from the heating element in the oven as possible? Do you alter the cooking time or temp in the recipe the next time you make it? What are the tricks that experienced cooks use?

·
Registered
350 Posts
I would try using a mug or a bowl as a mold. If it's too sticky, oil and lightly flour the sides of the mug or bowl. Use the middle rack at about 350 degrees for even cooking. You don't want to cook them at too high of a temperature because the outsides will burn too quickly, while the insides stay raw.<br><br>
It sounds as if you used too much flour and not enough savory spices if people thought they were cookies and not burgers. I'm dying to know what the recipe was. What were you using for moisture and what were you using as a binder.

·
Registered
350 Posts
My boyfriend just told me that Tupperware makes a buger mold.<br><br>
Flour your hands when your trying to mold the burgers by hand, and lightly oil the cookie sheet your cooking them on.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts