VeggieBoards banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking of going vegan in a couple months, but I have a few questions maybe some of you could help me with.

1.) I'm only 13, is it okay to be vegan if I have the right diet?

2.) Are there any vitamins I should take?

3.) This is probably petty dumb... But is dark chocolate vegan? :p

4.) I know gelatin is a meat by-product. What are other things vegans can't eat that I wouldn't know? I've heard whey, but I don't know what that is.

If you could help me with these questions, or you have any other helpful comments, I'd really appreciate it!

Thank you!!

·
Registered
0 Posts

Yes! People of all ages can be healthy on a vegan diet.

B12 is a common supplement for vegans. I think it's a good idea to take a multivitamin. They aren't usually necessary, but they are generally recommended for everyone regardless of their diet. www.veganhealth.org can help you will all the health aspects of the vegan diet, including vitamins/supplement suggestions.

Not a dumb question!
Some kinds are, and some aren't. The best way to find out is to read the ingredients list. Dark chocolate that is not vegan usually contains some form of cow's milk.

4.) I know gelatin is a meat by-product. What are other things vegans can't eat that I wouldn't know? I've heard whey, but I don't know what that is.

Whey comes from cow's milk. Here is a list of animal ingredients to help you in the future!

http://www.caringconsumer.com/resour...ients_list.asp

Good luck with your transition to the vegan diet!

·
Registered
195 Posts
Veggiejanie has covered pretty much everything but I thought I'd add this!

You might need to take vitamin D (look for D2- as D3 isn't vegan) in addition to B12 if you don't get enough sunlight. Most people, not just vegans, should take iodine and selenium supplement due to lack of bioavailability in soil. The UK vegan society make a good supplement with all of these nutrients called veg1.

Some dark chocs are vegan, some aren't! Bourneville contains buttermilk so is non-vegan, but green and blacks, organica and lindt are vegan. Organica even make chocolate couverture, in white and milk chocolate flavours that are completely dairy free- you can order it from www.crueltyfreeshop.co.uk from Dr Hadwen trust along with other vegan chocs and sweets.

·
Registered
684 Posts

Yep, I'm 15 and I'm doing just fine. :] Just make sure your parents support you so you can get all of the foods you need.

B12 is pretty important to take. It is my belief that everyone (vegan or not) should take a multi, too, probably containing vitamin D and iron. It's hard to get vitamin D as a vegan when it is not sunny outside.

As Janie said, it's not a dumb question. The "good stuff" usually is, and other stuff can be. Green & Black's is. Endangered Species is, just to name a few.

4.) I know gelatin is a meat by-product. What are other things vegans can't eat that I wouldn't know? Casein, which comes from milk just as whey does. Mono & diglycerides, mostly in baked goods (some are vegan, some aren't, it depends on the company). Janie supplied a great list that you can reference to.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.