VeggieBoards banner

61 - 70 of 70 Posts

·
Banned
13,022 Posts
<div class="quote-container"><span>Quote:</span>
<div class="quote-block"><i>Originally posted by mushroom</i><br><br><b>Haves are lucky people...if they weren't born wealthy, they were most likely born smart or attractive. Hard work alone gets you janitorial work. I read that US citizens making $30 - 40, 000 give a little more than 2% of their income to charity. Those earning $75 - 100,000 give about 1.6%. Excuse my French, but that is f***ed up! (and stingy)<br><br><br><br>
As a child, I was a have not, I now consider myself a have. I don't mind sharing, because I know how it feels on the other side.<br><br>
Rotten.</b></div>
</div>
<br><br><br>
Hey, I was a have not as a child. My parents did make a better life for themselves - through hard work. It was made very clear to me at a young age - if you want something, you had better get it yourself. Ain't no one gonna help you get it.<br><br><br><br>
If you want to do some research, check the demographics for the number of people that remain below the poverty line for their lifetimes. It is rather small (in the US). Most people do better their lives over time. Some don't. The majority of those that don't often make numerous poor choices that cause their problems.<br><br><br><br>
I do more than my share to help others. I disagree with the government taking my money by force to supposedly correct social ills, and then either doing a poor job or "fixing" the wrong problems.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
I think children should be taken care of properly, regardless of their parent's income. Even if you look at it from a selfish point of view, it is a lot less expensive to pay for a good pre-school than to later pay for jail time.<br><br><br><br>
Every time I go to Wal-Mart, I see poverty stricken children. Their mothers are often smacking them or saying terrible things to them. The children are often dirty...and sad. One day, they will be sad adults doing the same to their own children (most likely)

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Just so you know, here in Canada we switched to government controlled subsidized daycare a few years ago and it was a total disaster.<br><br><br><br>
The premise was that every child should have access to quality daycare for $5/day, but the end result was that most <i>quality</i> daycares were unable to provide this, and went out of business.<br><br><br><br>
Most day-care children now are left with no choice but to stay all day in penny-scrimping, quantity-not-quality daycares, as they are the only ones who were able to survive. Quality caregivers were unable to compete with those like the one down our street: he cuts costs by placing only 1 staff in a room of 30 babies, where the kids spend the day strapped to their highchairs, with no free-play.<br><br><br><br>
The conditions are terrible now, and children are FAR worse off than they were before.<br><br><br><br>
i.e.: It does not work in practice.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Children need to be taken care of! They are a HUGE repsonsibility--& people should think of that before they have them (many parents of kids in my class should really have thought about all that having children entails!!)

·
Registered
15,684 Posts
Avalon,<br><br>
Ah, I wondered how long it would be before someone pointed out that socializing child care doesn't work in practice.

·
Banned
5,034 Posts
Here in Australia they're trialling a scheme where parents put in some time at their kid's chilc care centre (one day per month, a couple of days per year.... whatever) and they get substantial discounts.<br><br><br><br>
There are restrictions as to what the helping parents can do, of course. But from what I have heard (from those involved) it's been quite a success.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
That sounds like a good idea. I wonder if it would work here?<br><br><br><br>
How do they deal with issues like police checks, etc? Do they make everyone pass a screening. Cause anyone working with other people's children is generally required to pass such screenings...<br><br><br><br>
Just because you have kids, doesn't mean you're a good kid. Tons of paedophiles have kids...<br><br><br><br>
How are those risks addressed??

·
Banned
5,034 Posts
<div class="quote-container"><span>Quote:</span>
<div class="quote-block"><i>Originally posted by Avalon</i><br><br><b>That sounds like a good idea. I wonder if it would work here?<br><br><br><br>
How do they deal with issues like police checks, etc? Do they make everyone pass a screening. Cause anyone working with other people's children is generally required to pass such screenings...<br><br><br><br>
Just because you have kids, doesn't mean you're a good kid. Tons of paedophiles have kids...<br><br><br><br>
How are those risks addressed??</b></div>
</div>
<br><br><br>
I'll try to find out. I do know for certain that the helpers couldn't help with things like changing diapers, taking kids to the bathroom, getting them ready for their naps.

·
Banned
5,034 Posts
I may have to ask some child care centre managers (I know a few I've done work for.... I wouldn't feel right just walking off the street to ask) because I can't find anything online (the report on it I saw on TV).<br><br><br><br><br><br>
This thread brought to mind something that happened back in January. A mother was drunk and so she sat her 5 year old son on her lap to steer the car while she operated the pedals (her 9 year old son was in the passenger seat).<br><br><br><br>
Not surprisingly the car crashed. They weren't wearing seatbelts and were thrown from the car (all survived).<br><br><br><br>
I'd say she has a pretty good chance of winning a moron of the century award.

61 - 70 of 70 Posts