VeggieBoards banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi.
I'm in a bit of an odd situation, I don't need to lose much weight, but it's more about finding a lifestyle that will initially get it down then keep it stable.

I used to box, and my training was adequate for keeping my weight down. I didn't know anything about nutrition, I just ate what I liked when I felt hungry.

Now I've stopped training and have joined no activity to replace it, I've found 'eating when you're hungry' not a good philosophy... My weight's increasing when it should be, and I'm edging into overweight (although I'm not technically overweight right now, I probably will be soon).

I don't know what I need to know - nutrition? Exercise? Self restraint?

Please help, I've never had to lose weight and don't know how to go about it.

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
Eat less calories and exercise. Try and find low calorie foods that will fill you up and keep you feeling full. Beans, veggies, whole grains... basically anything with lots of complex carbs and fiber does the trick for me. I steer clear of highly processed carbs (think white flour/rice, sugar) and added oils. I do eat enough walnuts, flax, chia seeds etc to get plenty of the essential good fats.

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
Reading Dr Barnard's Reversing diabetes program book has been very educational. He has a whole chapter devoted to just weight loss, which isn't specific to diabetics, but to anyone who wants to lose weight. It's very hard to be or stay overweight if you are just eating whole, high fiber foods, which includes no meat, dairy or eggs (vegan diet). This also means no white flour, sugar, or junk processed foods, and following a low fat/no added oil diet.

So, basically, eat oatmeal or other grains for bkft (not refined cereals), lunch can be leftover dinners of soups, stews, burgers, salads, etc, dinners could be vegetables, legumes or beans, and fruit.

He doesn't require counting carbs or calories, because when you are eating high fiber foods, esp with a lot of water in it or consume liquid with the meal, triggers from the stomach lining to the brain register being satieted or full.

Even if you don't have diabetes, the weight loss recommendations are still the same. My sister is a prime example of losing weight with this, as she couldn't exercise after her cancer removal, but she adopted the vegan diet and has lost a lot of weight, and is still losing.

oh, and do you like to cook for yourself, or is someone else doing the cooking?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts