VeggieBoards banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Soilman, as a learned layman with respect to pharmaceuticals, do give me your take on this "new" type of antibiotic that we've been prescribed of late in the Bank house to combat respiratory and upper sinus infections brought on by influenza. My grandson had it first, then my youngest kid really got hit bad with it, with a fever over 103 at times which held on for about 5 days. Now the wife is down with the same crap, she's pegging 102 as of this morning. My doc gave my son the Zithromax and it's a quick cycle, only 5 days. It knocked the stuffings out of his infections though, even though it's only been 4 days.<br><br><br><br>
Any insight on this series of antibiotics? Any down side? Whatcha think?<br><br><br><br>
Bank

·
Banned
10,763 Posts
Umm, my area of slight knowledge is <i>nitrogen chemistry,</i> and its historical and social implications more so than its technical details, as it relates to nutrition for green plants, synthesis of amino acids by green plants from inorganic nitrogen compounds, commercial production of nitrogen compounds that plants can utilize as food, the nitrogen cycle of the biosphere, how it is altered by human activities, and natural and commercial production of certain drugs that are related to amino acids, and have the same biosynthetic pathways, tho they are usually produced differently when produced commercially by humans -- called "alkaloids" -- with emphasis on the early discoveries related to alkaloids, and historical first isolation discovery, discovery, and identification of an "alkaloid."<br><br><br><br>
I wouldn't normally try to keep up with the latest useful medical knowledge about antibiotics -- unless I myself had a particular antibiotic prescribed for me, and then I would probably just get the basic Physician's Desk Reference info, and not try to learn much more beyond that.<br><br><br><br>
I believe you either have to id yourself as a med professional, or pay for a subscription, to access the PDR on-line, but I've found that most local public libraries have a copy in their reference section.<br><br><br><br>
Libraries may not get the semi-annual additions with new drug that appear between annual additions, so you may have to wait a few months before you local library has the PDR article on a new drug. Although smaller libraries may renew their PDR only once every few years. You could try the web site of the manufacturer. Or just do a google-search for pdr-like "comprehensive" info about basic chemical formula (if known), and "indications, dosages, cautions, warnings, and contra-indications."<br><br><br><br>
The bad effects of antibiotics often don't show up in clinical trials, and only become known after years of use. i would stick to antibiotics that have been in widespread use at least 3 years, unless these weren't working and a loss of life or limb was at risk.

·
Banned
10,763 Posts
That wasn't difficult at all. Google search. Pfizer, the manufacturer, publishes what looks like a pdr article, on-line, viewable by anyone with an acrobat reader.<br><br><br><br><a href="http://www.pfizer.com/download/uspi_zithromax.pdf" target="_blank">http://www.pfizer.com/download/uspi_zithromax.pdf</a>

1 - 5 of 5 Posts