VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 172 Posts

·
Banned
10,763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'll be in Toronto, at the Shouldice Hospital, for about a week, for inguinal hernia surgery, early in August 2003.

If any Veggieboarders, if any of my family members from Veggieboards, want to visit me in the hospital, and later elsewhere in the Toronto area, I'd love it.

I can e-mail you with the exact dates.

I'm having 2 45-minute procedures, 2 days apart.

I won't be tied to a bed -- not a bit. With a local anesthetic, they numb only a small area, then they encourage you to let yourself down from the operating table and walk out of the operating room, entirely under your own power, just as soon as they finish putting in the last stitch.

This is just exactly how I would want to do things, myself. I'm not at all wimpy about this surgery. In fact I'm looking forward to it.

I may even be able to even leave the hospital now and then during my scheduled stay, to visit local points of interest, I'm not sure.

I'd even consider spending a few days in the Toronto area after I'm discharged. So -- what is there to do in the Toronto area? I have a little info about theatre, sports.

I have heard this not only from the hospital, but also from patients there who had the same procedure there as I am having: most patients are able to be fully ambulatory, without discomfort, by the time they are discharged, which is just a few days after the last procedure. So just as soon as I am discharged, I expect to be able to walk moderately long distances and be able to walk for moderately long periods of time, without discomfort.

·
Registered
6,902 Posts
Wow, I am glad to hear you are getting the surgery you wanted.

Maybe I will consider taking a drive up there. It's not very far from Cleveland.

·
Registered
164 Posts
i just read about more reports of SARS in toronto, yikes!

best of luck with your surgery! take it easy and don't forget to pack yourself a little care package (do hospitals cater to veg diets??? you might need to bring some snacks). stock up on magazines, music/walkman, and stuff to keep you busy in case you don't feel like doing much. i always like to bring some of my own stuff (like my own lotion so it at least smells a little like home and a little less "hospital"). if i were you i would enjoy a few days off my feet and catch up on my reading

it has been years since i visited toronto btu when i was there i enjoyed the cn tower and riding the subway (not all of us have subways in our cities
). but i went in the dead of winter so your trip shoudl be far more enjoyable. check out the cn tower

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
That's great news Soilman... and very happy to hear that you are able to get the medical attention you need.

Toronto itself is a very diverse city. The Royal Ontario Museum is a great place with some good exhibits. You can usually catch some broadway style performance or vegas style acts, catch a local sporting event (The Blue Jays games are never sold out and tickets in the bleachers are reasonable), perhaps a concert. Canada's Wonderland (a theme park) is just north of the city. There's a lot to do. And the TTC (the transit system) is very good in that you can get to almost anywhere using it.

Here's a link you may find helpful for Toronto:

http://www.city.toronto.on.ca/events/

Oh, and given the exchange rate.. your US dollar is worth about $1.43 here.

Anyway... hope this helps and again, I think this is great news.

·
Banned
10,763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Much thanks for the info about what to do in Toronto, Robert.

You wrote: "very happy to hear that you are able to get the medical attention you need."

I'll be in Toronto early in August for the purpose of getting the medical attention which, yes, the doctors I've picked to help me, say I need, but which insurance companies, and others, say I don't need.

In this case I agree with the doctors.

It still isn't quite certain though that I will be able to get the surgery.

I think the best thing to do, like, right away, if anyone can, is for someone to set up a "Fix Soilman's Hernias" fund, open a specific checking account to put donations to it in, and for a few peope who know how, to solicit donations to the fund, just to make sure that there is enough money to pay for the surgery, by early August.

Or perhaps we should call it the "Get Soilman's Small Intestine Out of his Scrotum" fund. That is just as accurate, more fully descriptive, and better emphasises how urgent the situation is.

·
Banned
10,763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
allibaba writes

=============

check out the cn tower

=============

Thanks, I will.

==================

stock up on magazines, music/walkman, and stuff to keep you busy in case you don't feel like doing much."

==============

I don't yet know how much stuff I can bring with me on the train. Plus my hernias make it difficult for me to carry stuff.

===============

Do hospitals cater to veg diets.

===============

I haven't discussed this with them yet.

===============

if i were you i would enjoy a few days off my feet and catch up on my reading

===========

all the best info I have, and my personal experience, informs me that by getting back on one's feet as soon as possible, one speeds up one's healing processes and one creates an overall reduction in pain and discomfort.

·
Registered
4,049 Posts
oh good. even though the outcome isn't assured, i feel a great deal of relief knowing that it looks more promising than it has over the last months with you, soilman.

i wish i were in TO! i would bring you meals. most hospitals should be at least remotely familliar with veganism. be sure to specify "no gelatin"! because when i was in hospital after the birth of my son, i specified that i was a vegetarian, and they served me lemon jell-o with diced vegetables mixed in it.

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by soilman

I think the best thing to do, like, right away, if anyone can, is for someone to set up a "Fix Soilman's hernias" fund, open a specific checking account to put donations to it in, and for them, and others, to solicit donations to the fund, just to make sure that there is enough money to pay for the surgery, by early August. [/B]
Soilman... as a suggestion. Go over to http://www.paypal.com and signup an account for yourself (It's free). Once you get an account, paste the code into a webpage on your site.

This will allow anyone who wishes to do so, to make a donation to you directly, right online.

In fact, you could also ask Michael to add a link or make this post a sticky thread where you can link to your specific page containing your donation code.

Once it is up... just come back to this thread and post a link to that page so anyone interested can get to that page and make a donation.

In the event you are not familiar with them, Paypal is an online processor of payments and will allow you to withdraw funds from your account with them. Once you make the withdrawl request, they'll send you the money directly.

·
Banned
10,763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Kreeli I am hopeful about the diet situtation because the chief of surgery is a Muslim, is active in Muslim groups, and I understand Islamic dietary laws cause many Muslims to do intensive label-reading and ingredient researching, much the way many vegans do. For example I understand they may avoid products that list gelatin as an ingredient because commercial gelatin is likely to be made from animals that aren't killed in accordance with their dietary laws.

A former patient told me they "plied him with fresh fruit," and encouraged people to eat fresh fruit because vitamin C helped speed healing of wounds.

·
Banned
10,763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Robert, I think it's better if someone opens a checking account that they can sign checks from, preferable a professional like an accountant or lawyer, and that I can't sign checks from, to make sure people know the funds will be used only for hernia surgery and directly related costs like the train trip to and from Toronto.

Also, I don't think I wil be able to figure out how PayPal works, before August.

I think it is would be better not to co-mingle donations made to help me get surgery, with donations made to help me pay for time and expenses of runing the eoMeo web site (computer hardware and software, monthly fee for the web site, time spent researching the earthly origin of materials).

There are other reasons too, that I can explain in an e-mail, to have an account that someone else can sign checks from, and I'm not authorized to sign checks from.

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
Soilman, ok... I was trying to think of a quick method that could get something like that in place.

What is needed then would be for someone located in the USA to create such an account and provide a mailing address for checks or money orders, as you initially suggested. I'd set one up for you here... but you'd actually lose some of the donation dollars to the exchange rates between our two countries.

For example. If someone sent me a check for $100 USD... that would be deposited at rate of approximately $1.43 ($143 Canadian). For me to turn around and send it back to the US, it would cost about 1.5%, or $150. So, for every 100 dollars, you'd lose at least $7, just in exchange rates back and forth. Not to mention assorted bank processing fees for out of country checks.

Having said that... if someone does open the account, it would be good if the address was posted in this thread so that anyone interested could send off a check/money order accordingly.

·
Banned
10,763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Robert, you wouldn't have to make checks out to anyone in the US. You could pay the hospital, which is in Canada, directly.

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
Soilman, I'm just not so certain if it is wise for me to do it. (I certainly have no problem opening up a new checking account in my name to handle it). I am simply trying to evaluate if doing this is the best method available.

Causes for concern with this includes:

1. Privacy / Trust factor: will people trust me enough to send me a check, with their mailing address and name on the envelopes, destined for your fund. I am not an accountant, nor a lawyer.

And let's face it, its not like I do not ruffle a few feathers around here so having me involved in an administering capacity may in fact lead to others not wishing to contribute.

2. Convenience / Productivity: will requiring that people send checks and money orders hinder those who might otherwise contribute via credit card or online payment since it involves writing a check, stuffing an envelope, going to the post office, etc. I am thinking a credit card or online solution would be more productive simply from a convenience standpoint.

3. Funds Availability: My bank will hold out-of-country checks for 30 business days, depending on the amount of check. I have had out-of-country checks held for longer periods several times. This means it could be 40 days or more (if you include weekends) before those funds will be released and available for withdrawl.

This would mean that out-of-country checks sent to me now would arrive here from the US in about 1 week. Those funds would be available for withdrawal in early July. Anythng after the 3rd week of June would likely not even be available by the time your surgery is scheduled in August, leaving June the only realistic window to contribute.

4. Out of the Country Current scheduling has me out of Canada (to the US) for a 7 day period in mid-July and a 12 day period beginning the first week of August. Not necessarily a cause for concern, but it "could" mean that anything received during the July period does not get deposited in time to clear prior to your operation.

-----------------------------------------

Having said all of that, I WILL gladly do it. But I certainly think the above are very valid concerns that could affect the entire effort of a fundraiser, and ultimately affect your possible, and very much needed, operation.

For these reasons, I honestly believe it is in your best interest if someone else comes forward to handle it. Let me do some thinking on this and see what I can come up with.

·
Banned
10,763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Robert writes " am thinking a credit card "

If someone could set up credit care merchant account that might be nice, but I don't know what is involved. ??

Again, for several reasons, the account can't be something I have control over. I can explain in an email, if anyone wants the explanation.

·
Banned
10,763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
By the way, I don't use veggieboards private messaging. It has a high learning curve. I need to store lots of messages for future reference, in various folders, and it doesn't lend itself to that. If I just use one program for all my messages (Eudora E-mail) I don't get confused about which message are where, or try to press v-bulletin buttons to do Eudora functions and vice-versa.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Hey Soilman.

I live pretty close to Toronto and would be happy to help you out in August. There are tons of wonderful vegan restaurants in Toronto that you should check while you're here!!!

And of course all of the things that Robert suggested. Keep in mind that in August it will be very hot and humid in Toronto so depending on how you're feeling you may need some inside activities.

Good luck with everything

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
the very best of luck soilman. hope everything gets taken care of.

1 - 20 of 172 Posts