VeggieBoards banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As an athlete I keep an eye on my sodium intake because excessive amounts cause water retention that prevents me from performing my best. This has now led to a sodium deficiency which I just came aware of.

In my meat eating days I could handle 1500mg or so before I noticed bloating.

As a vegan the amount seems to be about 800mg.

Why is this? On a vegan diet does the body make better use of sodium?

I am a 140lb 5'8" male who's sodium intake was about 650mg a day. I am now increasing this amount, and dealing with the water retention, in order to replenish my sodium levels. Really would love to continue to live a vegan lifestyle while fighting off water retention. However, I'm starting to feel this is going to be difficult to achieve.

·
Banned
2,587 Posts
Natural diuretic is lemon water, maybe try that to combat retention

As an athlete i ingest more sodium than average bc of the loss with sweating etc, i dont really have issues with h2o retention maybe bc i drink tea w lemon and lemon water

·
Registered
319 Posts
It's probably because you're consuming more potassium as a vegan. Are you eating bananas? If so, quit it.

Have a look at the worst potassium offenders, and remove them from your diet.

(Just a guess)

·
Registered
4,946 Posts
I'm confused - were you diagnosed with a sodium deficiency or just assume you have a deficiency because your intake levels that you tracked? I have no problems with 500 mg sodium/day (not from salt) and also am athletic and consume plenty of potassium (which is good).

·
Herbivorous Urchin
9,717 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by penny79 View Post

I'm confused - were you diagnosed with a sodium deficiency or just assume you have a deficiency because your intake levels that you tracked? I have no problems with 500 mg sodium/day (not from salt) and also am athletic and consume plenty of potassium (which is good).
This.

Also, we are *not* doctors and you can't take what we say as the word of G-d. If you are truly wanting to get to the bottom of your problem, see a nutritionist/dietician.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts