VeggieBoards banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please help! My son's 4th grade teacher has given him an assignment to make a poster on poultry farming in Mississippi. I want the poster to inform the classmates and teacher of the horrible treatment of poultry in factory farms, but don't want to get too gory and preachy. My thought are to title it: "Poultry Abuse in Poultry Farming in Mississippi". I wanted to list facts of abuse. I have an HSUS report with statistics to use and a report from United Poultry Concerns about debeaking. We are supposed to have pictures on the poster too. Any thoughts or advice is appreciated!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
222 Posts
If you want to talk about alternatives to poultry farming, you could discuss the way crops use way less resources - water, land and fossil fuels.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,728 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisaanne View Post

Please help! My son's 4th grade teacher has given him an assignment to make a poster on poultry farming in Mississippi. I want the poster to inform the classmates and teacher of the horrible treatment of poultry in factory farms, but don't want to get too gory and preachy. My thought are to title it: "Poultry Abuse in Poultry Farming in Mississippi". I wanted to list facts of abuse. I have an HSUS report with statistics to use and a report from United Poultry Concerns about debeaking. We are supposed to have pictures on the poster too. Any thoughts or advice is appreciated!
You've said a lot about what YOUR thoughts are and what YOU want to do. What does your SON (you know, the child whose assignment this is?) want to do?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, he is not very proactive in thinking of titles for posters. He has not had that many to do. I told him my idea because he hasn't had any and he said that was good to him. Sometimes I have to take the reigns so he will get the project finished. I must help him and I want to inform the class of some things they have never thought about in consuming poultry. We are the only vegetarians I know of in his elementary school. Also, I detect an attitude from you towards my post that was not too kind. I try to help my son as much as I can and he has been vegetarian from the day he was born. He abhors ill treatment of all animals. I was sincerely wanting advice on a sensitive subject for him.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,728 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisaanne View Post

Any thoughts or advice is appreciated!
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisaanne View Post

Also, I detect an attitude from you towards my post that was not too kind. I try to help my son as much as I can and he has been vegetarian from the day he was born. He abhors ill treatment of all animals. I was sincerely wanting advice on a sensitive subject for him.
You asked for "any thoughts or advice" and I responded in kind.

I'm a parent too. I help my child as much as possible too.

Still, a collaborative effort is best, not taking over the entire project ourselves. What do our children learn if we take over and go forward with OUR ideas, our plans etc? Not very empowering.

By the way, that's more "thoughts and advice", you know, the kind you asked for?


Here are some useful links, because I'm "nice" like that:

http://www.all-creatures.org/anex/chicken.html

http://www.zazzle.com/factory_farm_a...91010960635400 http://paulin8.blogspot.com/2011/05/...ckens-day.html

http://www.experienceproject.com/gro...-Chicken/11697

http://www.pbs.org/parents/goingtosc..._homework.html

http://momentswetreasure.wordpress.c...or-their-kids/
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
0 Posts
You could let the class know that Mississippi poultry farms kill 853 million chickens a year (that's 300 times the population of Mississippi btw), 2.3 million every day, 97,000 an hour, 1600 per minute, and 27 every second. It's startling.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post

You could let the class know that Mississippi poultry farms kill 853 million chickens a year (that's 300 times the population of Mississippi btw), 2.3 million every day, 97,000 an hour, 1600 per minute, and 27 every second. It's startling.
Wow! That is very startling and disturbing.
 
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Top