VeggieBoards banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I just need some help in understanding more of what I can use to treat my SAD naturally. I don't want to go on prozac or paxil because I am nursing my dd and also because I wouldn't want to put that crap into my body. But I want to do something ASAP because I am living in complete hell! My SAD is so extreme and I just can't live like this anymore. I don't really want to get into all the details because it is just too personal and I haven't even told anyone how I really feel except for my family.

I just need help though. Does anyone experience SAD? Are there any natural treatments out there that truly work?

Please help, thanks!

·
Registered
4,604 Posts
Some people use St. John's Wort as an herbal alternative to Prozac.

Have you talked to any alternative medical practitioners for their ideas? Do you have plenty of support from family and your doctor? Make sure you are TALKING to people about this and about how serious it is.

A friend of mine who had SAD used some sort of light therapy where she sat in front of a full spectrum light for a certain amount of time each day. Have you heard of this? Ask your doctor about it.

Don't give up! We just had daylight savings time and maybe your symptoms will get better with the change of seasons.

·
Registered
776 Posts
I am really sorry that you are feeling so bad
I hope that you feel a little better very soon. I do not know much except about the light therapy as EggPlant said. I know you can buy lamps that are meant to emulate natural light.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
eggplant, thanks for your suggestions. I think you may be confusing Seasonal Affective Disorder with Social Anxiety Disorder, they both are abbreviated SAD.

Social Anxiety Disorder is a disorder where you just feel anxious in social settings. For me it has gotten to an extreme point where I feel anxiety with virtually everyone and life is beginning to be unlivable.

Here's a site to understand it more: http://www.social-anxiety.org/

If anyone knows of any natural remedies, please tell me! Thanks

·
Registered
152 Posts
Hi Tova, I have SAD(and in the extreme, I'm pretty housebound/pathetic) too... I used to know of some herbal remedies but now I just have a vague list that I wrote down and don't remember exactly what all of them was for what. I think valerian/hops together were recommended for panic attacks though, valerian is supposed to help with anxiety. Actually, here's a link I just dug up to check that which has a list with descriptive links of herbs at the bottom of the page that should be useful.

Also, Social Anxiety Support is a very helpful message board that I love, even though I'm usually too uncomfortable to post there because of a weird relationship with one of the members.

On another note, cheers to you for not wanting to expose your daughter (or yourself for that matter) to "that crap". I think you'd have to be pretty brave to be a mother with SAD... there's probably yet another reason I'm scared of having kids, I just don't think I could br strong enough for them and wouldn't want them to suffer because of my issues. Hmmn, anyway sorry to go off on that, just started thinking too much there for a minute.

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
Hi Tova,

I'm sending hugs your way.

My suggestions include exercise (to release the natural endorphins), eating right and some cognitive behavioural therapy. I like this type of therapy rather than the traditional psychotherapy (lie on the couch and talk about your mother) because it's shorter in duration and more focused on changing the behaviour and the thinking. If you are concerned about cost, check out a community centre.

Also keep talking to people, either on the website or with family and friends. You may also want to consider keeping a journal.

All the best. Keep us updated.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks so much for everyone's comments!

I went to the SAD message board that you suggested Kittay and I wanted to just say thank you so much! I really didn't felt so alone after reading everyone's comments, some of them were so identical to how I am feeling it was amazing. I always felt like such an oddball because of my SAD but it is such a relief to know that other people suffer in the same ways as me. I was on that board for hours and could of been on for hours more but it was late and I had to get some sleep in!

It really helped me in so many ways. Thanks again.

As far as what I'm doing in other ways to help myself, nothing much really....I do eat really well, I'm extremely health concious, but I'm not sure if SAD and diet is connected, Although I know coffee and cigarettes agravate it but I don't do either of those. I suppose I should excersise more...and as far as therapy, I don't have the time or money unfortunatly.

Kittay, what are you doing to help your SAD? Do you take herbs?

·
Registered
6,902 Posts
Robert Handley has written a lot on overcoming anxiety

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/se...939332-0049558

His books are old, so you may have to go to the library.

On St. John's Wort- It may come from a plant instead of a lab, but it is still putting a psychiatric drug into one's body that may not be good for nursing. I am not totally against putting stuff in my body if the benefits outweigh the risks, but I thought it was important to point this out, esp. if you are nursing.

·
Registered
4,604 Posts
Sorry, I thought you were talking about Seasonal Affect Disorder. I guess I read the message without looking at the heading. Anyhoo, what I said before about making sure you're letting people (family, health care practitioners, friends, etc.) know how serious your condition is still holds true. I'd hate to think you were going through this alone.

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
I just wanted to mention that St.John's Wort has been proven effective for the treatment of mild depression, but not nessasarily for anxiety disorders. I suffer from the popular anxiety/depression combo, and taking St.John's Wort makes my anxiety symptoms much worse-like a stimulant or something. Everyone is different though, I just thought that I would mention my results from taking it. Best of luck Tova

·
Registered
0 Posts
You say you don't have the time or money for therapy. Therapy would encourage you to face what you are fearing so much. But you can do it slowly and possibly on your own. You need to get out and be around people more and the more you do it the more comfortable you will get. It will desensitize your fear. Of course, it's best to be around very safe people. A support group for social anxiety disorder would only be maybe an hour a week or every 2 weeks depending on the specifics of the group. You might be able to find one that is free. Try calling a mental health agency for a referral to a place that has free help and or support groups. Reading library materials and self help tapes on it may give you additional help. If all else fails and you are suffering still then I would recommend that you find free therapy or low cost therapy. It exists.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts