VeggieBoards banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
over the past year I have improved my health greatly by going to the gym almost everyday. I have been running about 9 miles three times a week and and weights three days a week (sunday off). About a month ago I injured my left knee playing soccer. It starts to feel better if I take some time off my workout regimen, but if I try to run or lift weights it starts to hurt with some minor swelling. The pain comes mainly from the back of my knee and the swelling is usually in the front just below my knee cap.

Question: I have finally been able to make an appointment with my doctor a few weeks out. Should I stop working out until then? I would really hate to lose any of the ground that I have gained over the past year. Thanks for any advise.

·
Banned
2,081 Posts
I'd say chill out. Only do what you can, and maybe try to do lower impact activity, like swimming. Pain is not good. Making yourself do something that hurts is just going to do more damage.

·
Registered
8,451 Posts
essentially, rest is the best thing, and you won't loose your gains from the gym, etc. if you persist, you could loose your knee completely and then loose the gym/running completely.

i would take rest now over rest forever any day.
also, you might consider taking yoga with a trained professional (check out Yoga Alliance's list). i would recommend private lessons at first to make sure your alignment is correct, and then go from there.

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
Sounds like apex of patella syndrome or a problem with the Hoffa body. Our orthopedics give an injection into the apex and recommend cooling with ice a couple of times per day and rest.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
shattered my leg in a zillion pieces a year and a half ago and cant run ever again till I get another expensive operation to get the hardware taken out, and even then it is doubtfull. If you can run 9 miles without pain-- well, you are above average-- good for you---I cant walk 5 miles without days of pain after. You should not try to slow down to fake your doctor out. Show him what you have/expect/are. There is no need to Dumb down your experiences or the expectations you have of yourself. The people who become doctors are smart detail people and appreciate plain dealing and accurate facts. Say: this is what I do... here is where I am... this is what I want.. how can you help? ..etc... good luck...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts