Registered
6,548 Posts
Soy protein is useful in moderation.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Agalloch- do you have kids?

IamJen- I actually made them whole wheat penne pasta with cooked red lentils and tomatoes for lunch today! I do this often.
My daughter ate a whole bowl (she is 16 months) and my son (2 1/2) touched one to his tongue and spit it out. He got a heart shaped peanut butter sandwich then. Then he threw that on the ground. Then he got soy yogurt. Didn't touch it. So far he has had 2 grams of protein today. So I am working on what to make him for dinner tonight. He hates beans, edemame, quinoa, and the "superfood pastas"
So maybe if its 8pm and he didn't eat anything all day I will give him a builder bar.

·
Registered
6,548 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mollycakes View Post

He got a heart shaped peanut butter sandwich then.
Quote:

heart shaped peanut butter sandwich
Quote:

heart shaped
There's your problem.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by agalloch View Post

From the Clif website:

Because the CLIF Builder's is formulated with adult needs in mind, children should not eat a whole bar until their nutritional needs more closely match those of an adult (around ages 9-13). Children ages 4-9 could have half on occasion and as with all food choices, parents should use their best judgment. An option for children is try out another bar we offer called CLIF Kid Zbar™. It is uniquely designed for the nutritional needs of growing, active children and tastes great.
This just sounds like marketing. Like how Luna bars are 'different' from Clif bars. Its all the same stuff.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Envy View Post

There's your problem.
ha ha- I do tend to go a little crazy with the cookie cutters in this household...

·
Registered
8,022 Posts
There's also the school of thought that picky is silly. Our kids eat (for dinner) what we eat. They have that choice or none. My son went to bed once or twice refusing dinner, and he ate impressively well the next morning. After that, it was never a struggle.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by unovegan View Post

There's also the school of thought that picky is silly. Our kids eat (for dinner) what we eat. They have that choice or none. My son went to bed once or twice refusing dinner, and he ate impressively well the next morning. After that, it was never a struggle.
it is silly. I wish he wasn't.
The kid has more stamina than missing dinner. If its not a cookie or bread he will fold his arms and keep asking for it. And not eat for days. We tried this approach. Doesn't work on him.
I have a daughter that it works for, opposite personality.

He sees an OT for his feeding issues- has since he was diagnosed with reflux as a result of his FTT. She is helping us out with his behavioral/ eating issues. She likes the idea of a builder bar to help out gain weight here and there.

on that note (not directed at you unovegan- I know every household is different) I don't have to defend how I feed my kid to a forum. I am happy to invite anyone over and give it a try themselves. My son is a great kid- but so far nobody who has tried has gotten him to eat what they wanted him to. I started this post to help out other parents who have trouble getting their kid to eat vegan sources of protein. Thats all

·
Registered
8,022 Posts
Quote:

it is silly. I wish he wasn't.
The kid has more stamina than missing dinner. If its not a cookie or bread he will fold his arms and keep asking for it. And not eat for days. We tried this approach. Doesn't work on him.
I have a daughter that it works for, opposite personality.

He sees an OT for his feeding issues- has since he was diagnosed with reflux as a result of his FTT. She is helping us out with his behavioral/ eating issues. She likes the idea of a builder bar to help out gain weight here and there.

on that note (not directed at you unovegan- I know every household is different) I don't have to defend how I feed my kid to a forum. I am happy to invite anyone over and give it a try themselves. My son is a great kid- but so far nobody who has tried has gotten him to eat what they wanted him to. I started this post to help out other parents who have trouble getting their kid to eat vegan sources of protein. Thats all
does he like quinoa? or beans? i don't care much for quinoa, but my wife made it on tostadas recently and it was better tasting. so, serious experimentation may help.

i understand about differences in kiddos as well. my daughter is very different. a total pistol. what is easy for one can be super difficult for the other.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by unovegan View Post

does he like quinoa? or beans? i don't care much for quinoa, but my wife made it on tostadas recently and it was better tasting. so, serious experimentation may help.

i understand about differences in kiddos as well. my daughter is very different. a total pistol. what is easy for one can be super difficult for the other.
I spend pretty much most of my time and money in the store or the kitchen cooking everything under the sun to try on him. This is my entire life. Its exhausting. We have tried all sorts of methods too (cutting out anything but water for the day, only offering food 3-4 times a day, only offering him one item, offering him multiple items, I've taken him to the store and had him pick out all the food for himself, and showed him me cooking it, having him watch us or his sister eat it, making it into fun shapes and toys, hiding healthy or protein rich food in things...) lol- everything short of intravenously!
My daughter will eat ANYTHING! she will pack all sorts of food into her mouth. She is the sort of kid that loves tofu, veggies, brown rice, mushrooms. Luckily all my efforts don't go to waste on him- she gets leftovers!

He refuses smoothies too . Totally, I tried all different kinds. The other problem also is sometimes he will like something I made him. Then 2 days later I make it again and he refuses. Or he won't eat something once and I give up on it, then I notice he wants it later - like if I made it for all of us. Things he likes (sometimes): pasta, vegan mac and cheese, grilled cheese (vegan cheese), coconut ice cream, chick'n nuggets, french fries, pizza, and potato chips. Realistically I am not going to feed him these foods- they are junky- but he knows I can make them and often will refuse what he is offered and ask for one of those items. When we have an outing or he has a school event where he is spoiled, it takes us days to get past it and get it through to him that he won't eat that item again.

Its a learning curve for me. I tried everything and keep going at it. I am so open to all new ideas I haven't tried before, an I feel bad that everyone around me (friends and family) witness the struggle themselves and try to offer so many suggestions, I have already tried. Sometimes I just nod and say thanks for the suggestion- so I don't make them feel bad- they are just trying to be nice and have no clue what I go through daily with him. And how stressful it is. I am a great parent- I know most who just throw "Gerber graduates meat sticks" and and apple at their kid and call it a day. I know I spend 30x the amount of time that most parents do over the simple task of just feeding my kid. I definitely try hard. I want him to eat. I know he has mental issues with eating- the details of that are far to lengthy to get into, I have mentioned that before on some threads here.

Thank you for understanding. I don't think most have the slightest what I go through.

(.....and wow that felt cathartic......)

·
Registered
4,026 Posts
It's probably got a lot to do with his age. Mine is nearly two and all of a sudden he's much more picky about food. He has his favorite things and if they're available he will eat those things and nothing else. Luckily he's still young enough that we can do a lot of "out of sight out of mind" type of stuff... so it's not like he demands pudding and french fries yet unless he sees them. And he's still VERY good about eating what we eat. If he sees us enjoy our food then he usually wants to try it. He doesn't always like it, but he's always very curious about it.

I know what you mean about outings and school events involving special foods. My son is still asking to go trick-or-treating again. He is asking for candy daily. He points at people's doors and says "candy". Haha. It was his first Halloween were he got to get candy instead of give it. Luckily, I tricked him into believing that his vegan toddler vitamins are candy
So now when he asks for candy I can give him one of those.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElaineV View Post

It's probably got a lot to do with his age. Mine is nearly two and all of a sudden he's much more picky about food. He has his favorite things and if they're available he will eat those things and nothing else. Luckily he's still young enough that we can do a lot of "out of sight out of mind" type of stuff... so it's not like he demands pudding and french fries yet unless he sees them. And he's still VERY good about eating what we eat. If he sees us enjoy our food then he usually wants to try it. He doesn't always like it, but he's always very curious about it.

I know what you mean about outings and school events involving special foods. My son is still asking to go trick-or-treating again. He is asking for candy daily. He points at people's doors and says "candy". Haha. It was his first Halloween were he got to get candy instead of give it. Luckily, I tricked him into believing that his vegan toddler vitamins are candy
So now when he asks for candy I can give him one of those.
How old is your son? Mine is asking to go trick or treating again too!

21 - 32 of 32 Posts