VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My kids are super picky when it comes to protein rich foods. They don't get their daily allowance for protein, and I have been trying to find something they like with protein in it.

I came across the Cliff Builder Bar. Vegan and 20 grams of protein per bar. My kids love it! THey seem to like the vanilla almond the most.

Thought I would share....

·
Registered
75 Posts
They're all delicious (the chocolate mint is my fave) but ridiculously dense. I'd always break them in half and eat one after a workout. I'm trying to cut soy out of my diet as much as possible and Clif bars will be sorely missed.

·
Registered
4,026 Posts
My little muffin used to eat plain uncooked tofu and he just LOVED it. But now that he's a bona fide toddler and no longer a snuggly little baby, he's less into plain tofu. However, he now likes to eat tofu that has been marinated, baked, chilled and cubed. For example, Trader Joe's sells tofu like that and I can just chop it up and serve it to my son.

Other high-protein foods he likes are: lentils (in soup or chili), peanut butter or almond butter on crackers or bread, spiced black beans, chick'n nuggets, vegan meat balls, soy yogurt and milk, lima beans or edamame (steamed and salted), and yes he also eats cliff bars

·
Banned
1,013 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mollycakes View Post

My kids are super picky when it comes to protein rich foods. They don't get their daily allowance for protein, and I have been trying to find something they like with protein in it.

I came across the Cliff Builder Bar. Vegan and 20 grams of protein per bar. My kids love it! THey seem to like the vanilla almond the most.

Thought I would share....
Yeah, mine loves them, too, but dislikes the plain Cliff bars. Fortunately, she also likes tofu right out of the package, and any other way.

·
Registered
19,134 Posts
Most of what I've seen re: protein absorption in soy is with regard to bodybuilder types and compares it to whey protein (which is not vegan, so not applicable in this case). Do you have some info about it being less efficient than other veg proteins such as lentils, whole grains, etc.? I do admit, I'm not keen on soy protein isolate, because of the manufacturing process, but if you're eating it only occasionally, then that's probably not such an issue either.

@the op, have you tried being sneaky and doing things like putting red lentils or mashed up beans in pasta sauce?

·
Registered
6,850 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by agalloch View Post

Or eat almonds instead.
I don't know many small kids who will eat almonds. Actually if they are very young it's a choking hazard.

I'm not big on soy in the form of SPI either but I don't think occasionally hurts and it's better than a picky kid being protein deficient. I may have to look into this myself for occasional use. Some days my dogs wear me out and I crave extra protein. It's hard to find a protein bar that's both vegan and doesn't taste like the wrapper it came in.

·
Registered
75 Posts
From the Clif website:

Because the CLIF Builder's is formulated with adult needs in mind, children should not eat a whole bar until their nutritional needs more closely match those of an adult (around ages 9-13). Children ages 4-9 could have half on occasion and as with all food choices, parents should use their best judgment. An option for children is try out another bar we offer called CLIF Kid Zbar™. It is uniquely designed for the nutritional needs of growing, active children and tastes great.

As for almonds being a choking hazard, almond butter on toast or crackers (or celery) would get the job done.

·
Banned
1,013 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by agalloch View Post

From the Clif website:

Because the CLIF Builder's is formulated with adult needs in mind, children should not eat a whole bar until their nutritional needs more closely match those of an adult (around ages 9-13). Children ages 4-9 could have half on occasion and as with all food choices, parents should use their best judgment. An option for children is try out another bar we offer called CLIF Kid Zbar™. It is uniquely designed for the nutritional needs of growing, active children and tastes great.

As for almonds being a choking hazard, almond butter on toast or crackers (or celery) would get the job done.
There are plenty of other reasons why you would put a disclaimer on bars to keep people from feeding them to kids that have nothing to do with soy, not to mention that Clif's own disclaimer says nothing about soy.

You've yet to give reason for calling soy anything less than a "premium" source.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Oh, you're still here? The disclaimer was in regards to the "almonds aren't kid friendly" claim. Builder Bars aren't for designed kids, either. I could barely chew them myself.

As far as soy being a crappy way to get your protein, I was speaking more toward SPI. If you're eating edamame, fine. Otherwise I don't see how you could possibly advocate soy as a premium source of protein when it's usually in a processed vehicle. There are plenty of other whole food alternatives that are as rich/more rich in protein. It comes down to personal preference, as do most things.

Generally, I appreciate SPI for what it is. Bulking up the protein content of convenience foods that otherwise wouldn't have much.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts