VeggieBoards banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm looking for a cheap cheap cheap clarifying shampoo as I've recently started co-washing and spent a lot of money on buying the best cruelty free products I can for that. I don't care how horrible the shampoo is as I'll be using it probably like once a week and I am a college kid on a very tight budget.

I have a Dr. Bronner's obsession and tried that as a clarifying shampoo and it did NOT work at all. I'm shocked that I finally discovered a failing of that blessed soap.

I at first wrote off vo5 immediately as they were listed on PETA's site as being owned by Unilever. However, I looked into the cheap and cruelty free white rain brand and found that a company called High Ridge Brands owns them, not Unilever. I did some digging and found that Unilever sold Vo5 in the US to High Ridge. However, I could find nothing about High Ridge's testing policies and really nothing recent confirming that White Rain was still cruelty-free since being acquired by them. It was really difficult to find any information at all.

I sent off an email to both the Vo5 and High Ridge addresses, but it was one of those fill-in-the-form-on-the-site deals, so I don't expect a useful response. Has anyone done any more digging into vo5 since they were sold to High Ridge? Are both of these brands cruelty free?

Thanks!

·
Registered
69 Posts
You're not going to find cheap, 100% cruelty-free shampoo. Believe me, I am also a poor college student. Saving up for the $6 vegan shampoo works best for me, and if you are truly scrounging for pennies you can use less and/or dilute it slightly with water.

However, I would consider White Rain to be vegan enough. Not 100% but at least 95%.

·
Herbivorous Urchin
9,717 Posts
Can you go to Trader Joe's? I believe their shampoos are vegan and pretty cheap.

·
Super Moderator
8,959 Posts
Can you go to Trader Joe's? I believe their shampoos are vegan and pretty cheap.
Yes! Their Nourish, or the orange ones (?) are vegan and $2.99 for 16oz bottles of both shampoo and conditioner.

Whole Foods brands are another good choice

I do love Shea Moisture products- they can be found BOGO free on sales.

Someone posted Renpure are vegan-I have their argan shampoo and conditioner and there's nothing that I can find from animals but they didn't get back to my email. They do not test

How about just using a vinegar and water rinse on occasion since you're co-washing?

You can also look into bakingsoda/water and vinegar water. Look up 'no-poo'
I did that for over two years until menopause kinda screwed with it

·
Registered
69 Posts
I recommend against putting baking soda anywhere near your skin or scalp, if you are prone to acne breakouts. Messing with the pH of your skin with such a basic chemical is risky.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts