VeggieBoards banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I give our daughter who is almost two veggie meat I call it "chicken", but I don't want her to get used to eating something that she thinks is chicken. I worry about her being out and saying she wants chicken. What do you call it? Thanks!

·
Registered
471 Posts
well, we did always call it "veggie chicken" or vegie "whatever". But my ds (3 1/2) is HYPERVIGILIENT about accidently being given or eating meat so if we say the "chicken" or if we call it "burger" or whatever he will not eat it. Even though he KNOWS we don't cook or eat meat. So, we call it the brand name. If it's a quorn product we call it quorn strips or boca patties. Or, I just call it "tofu" regardless of what it is.

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
I"ll have to keep this in mind for future reference. I don't want our little one getting confused with the real stuff, because when we go down to visit relatives in Atlanta, all they eat is meat and dairy. So if they say "we're having chicken" I don't want there to be any confusion. I can just picture a little person with a stomach ache from the nasty chicken!

·
Registered
0 Posts
I would refrain from using any terms related to animals. Try using names to describe the shape of the food - patties, strips, crumbles, nuggets, etc... Describing them this way at her age should prevent confusion in the future, since she's not associating these foods with animals. When she is older, then you could explain to her they are supposed to resemble the texture and taste of animal products.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I always call it pretend chicken or pretend whatever but veggiejanie is right it would be better to refrain from using any terms related to animals.

·
Registered
12,282 Posts
I don't have kids but I call things like the Morningstar Chick'n strips "Chickish." I'll say "We're having Chickish and Dumplings for dinner"

·
Registered
204 Posts
I also don't like referring to the animal names. I like to say soy patties, or soy nuggets, etc. Sometimes I use vegetable patties etc. Since I like the flavor of soy, the use of soy in the description sounds good and yummy to me.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.