VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm babysitting at a house where there is no land line phone, just cell phones. Normally, the parents can reach me on my cell phone, however I dropped my phone beneath the couch and cannot, for the life of me, get it out. I tried reaching beneath it (my hands are too big), using tongs or turning forks (they're all curved and therefore are useless beneath the couch), and even woke one of the children who I am babysitting, even she couldn't get it out.
Fortunately, I have a laptop and am therefore able to have my friends call the parents I babysit for so that they know not to panic because they can't get ahold of me (I also had them call my boyfriend because I felt neglectful because I suddenly stopped texting him). My question, though, is how you suggest I might get this out sooner than waiting for the arrival of the parents to help me with it. It's a corner couch, the kind that's rounded and I'm pretty certain it's one piece, not a sectional.

Any ideas would be great. I'm all out of ideas.
Thanks!
-Nikki-

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
Use a yardstick or broom handle to push it out.

·
Herbivorous Urchin
9,717 Posts
Wait for them to get home, so you don't ruin their couch. Seriously, it's just a phone, it can wait.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
A. It's stuck in there in a way that I can't see it, but I can hear it, and it's stuck in a little crevice that I can't reach with ANYTHING.
B. I'm not asking for sarcastic bull**** or for you to be rude. I wouldn't be concerned about the phone if it weren't for the fact that it's the only way for them to reach me or for me to reach them, so if something happens with them, they can't get ahold of me, or perhaps one of the kids decides to tumble down the stairs and crack their skull, I imagine that's kind of important. I'm not DREADFULLY worried about it but it'd be nice to have it and I babysit for people who work hard all day and I don't like to create more hassle for them once they've come home at 1am.

If you have nothing helpful to say and are just going to be rude and think that you're SOOOOO clever for making snide remarks about a teenage girls relationship with her cell phone you need to shut it because I'm down to my last nerve today and it's not going to be some random troll from the on the internet who breaks me.

Anyone else who wants to be legitimately helpful, I appreciate it =]

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
How heavy is the couch? Can you move it at all?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I managed to move it just enough to get it up onto a book that's about 2 inches thick, but even that was quite the struggle, so there's pretty much no way to move it until they get home because I imagine Deon (that Papa of the children I wrangle for money) is strong enough to move it or figure something out.

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
Unfortunately that is probably what you'll have to do. Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Oh it's no problem, I appreciate the attempt though!

My friends and I ran out of ideas so one of them was like "post it on yahoo answers" but then I decided that yahoo is for chumps and the lovely folks at veggieboards would be way more useful =]

·
Registered
6,741 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by garbanzogonzo View Post

A. It's stuck in there in a way that I can't see it, but I can hear it, and it's stuck in a little crevice that I can't reach with ANYTHING.
B. I'm not asking for sarcastic bull**** or for you to be rude. I wouldn't be concerned about the phone if it weren't for the fact that it's the only way for them to reach me or for me to reach them, so if something happens with them, they can't get ahold of me, or perhaps one of the kids decides to tumble down the stairs and crack their skull, I imagine that's kind of important. I'm not DREADFULLY worried about it but it'd be nice to have it and I babysit for people who work hard all day and I don't like to create more hassle for them once they've come home at 1am.

If you have nothing helpful to say and are just going to be rude and think that you're SOOOOO clever for making snide remarks about a teenage girls relationship with her cell phone you need to shut it because I'm down to my last nerve today and it's not going to be some random troll from the on the internet who breaks me.

Anyone else who wants to be legitimately helpful, I appreciate it =]
I'd offer advice, but you said that.

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
Yeah, I wouldn't post it in yahoo answers either. You'd probably get a lot of snarky replies.

·
Registered
10,324 Posts
Can you move the couch with your feet? Brace your back against the wall and push the couch out with your legs? Or can you fit a ruler under the couch?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
You guys seem to underestimate just how weak I really am.
I'll give you a point of reference:
The other day I went to taco bell with my boyfriend, I offered to refill his drink (a large raspberry iced tea). While I was filling the cup I remembered why I don't ever get a large... it is literally too heavy for me to the point where I almost drop it.
Yeah, it's that bad.

So no, literally no way for me to move this couch with the exception, perhaps, of using the force-a skill I have not yet honed.

And yes, yahoo never gets good advice. Just a-holes looking for something to occupy their time while simultaneously wasting someone else's.

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nishani View Post

Locate it with a torch and then put a vac nozzle through where it fell and suck it up biatch!
Actually, this could work...

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
That's probably the best idea yet. However, it doesn't work well with the whole *not brutalizing their couch* so it seems rather counterproductive.

However, I just got a facebook message from Felicia (le mama of the children) saying that they'll be home in a couple hours and we can mutilate the couch then. So that's reassuring.

·
Registered
3,801 Posts
Eeesh, that sucks! I'm thinking you're going to have to wait...

In the meantime, the only truly crucial thing is to make sure you know someone online who can call 911 for you if you have an emergency with the kiddos. And it sounds like you have that covered.

ETA: Just saw your post. At least you know they're planning on helping when they get home, and they aren't going to be all bummed they have to root around their couch when they get back.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I'm kind of paranoid in general, but when it comes to my kids (yes, the 3 girls I babysit and my 6 nieces and nephews are considered "my kids") I'm extra cautious and afraid of everything so I always have to have some connection to the outside world to make sure that the risk of death is at the minimum.

And yeah, I'm lucky to babysit for such awesome people. I grew up with the mom, she practically raised me, so she's always been great to me, and her husband is super sweet too, I just feel bad when I hassle them.

PS: Your comment made me smile. You didn't have a solution, but you didn't pretend you did, you just offered insight and weren't a douche about it =]

·
Registered
20,217 Posts
I think the best thing you can do right now is just wait for the parents to get home. Sorry I can't offer any better advice. Keep us posted.

However, for the future, every time you babysit these kids or other kids, HOLD ONTO YOUR CELLPHONE! Seriously, strap it to your belt or something so you don't lose it.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts