VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
6,902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering around on the food network website when I looked at http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/et_s...932481,00.html

I noticed they had some recipies for cajun vegetarian stuff. How interesting. Until I got to the ingredients. They all had seafood.

And the intro to this page states, "Whether youre trying to curb your carnivorous cravings, or having a vegetarian friend over for dinner, our meatless meals are sure to please any palate. From Asian treats to Creole cuisine sans sausage, our delicious menu suggestions are so good, you wont even miss the meat. In fact, you might even stick to veggie-filled food forever! "

My italics.

After much, searching, I finally found a feedback form:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/abou...7_9310,00.html

Comment to them at will about perpetuating this myth and all the angry people who are going to make one of these dishes for their vegetarian friend and find they won't eat it.

·
Registered
4,557 Posts
If you look at cookbooks, many of them divide up recipes by meat, chicken, fish and seafood. Especially the old standards like The Joy Of Cooking. So I think it's very natural for people to assume "meatless" means chicken, fish, or seafood.

We may use the word meat to mean all flesh, but clearly not everyone does. Language is defined by usage. Maybe eventually "meatless" may come to mean vegetarian in the sense that we understand it, to everyone; however I doubt that will happen in the near future.

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
"I stumbled upon the "vegetarian" section of your site found at http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/et_s...932481,00.html , and i found a few mis-placed recipes. One such recipe is the crab cakes.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/reci...6_5140,00.html

the recipe calls for crab meat. This is not a vegetarian ingredient. It also calls for worcestershire sauce, which contains anchovies.

Another misplaced recipe is founds at http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/reci...6_6472,00.html this one calls for lobster, shrimp, crab and worcestershire sauce, yet is listed as "vegetarian" food.

The recipe for "gardenburgers" called for "chicken or vegetable stock" Chicken stock is not vegetarian.

As a vegetarian, I'm shocked that such a reputable website would be misguided as to what the term "vegetarian" means. I'm extremely worried that since these dishes are recommended for gatherings, then some non-vegetarians holding gatherings may unwittingly believe that these dishes are suitable for vegetarian guests.

The term "vegetarian" is applied to a diet which does not contain meat. Meat includes the flesh from all animals. This includes, beef, pork, lamb, chicken, turkey, fish, lobster, crab, anchovies, shellfish and slaughterhouse by-products such as gelatin. In the future, it would be advisable to be mor discerning regarding labelling recipes as "vegetarian." A common misconception of vegetarianism is that vegetarians are willing to consume flesh if it is from marine origin. Labelling recipes which contain meat as "vegetarian" adds to the confusion."

i filled in most of the personal details as N/A. i hate it when they want phone numbers, addresses etc. I gave them an email address. That's all they're getting. If they want any more they can piss off.

·
Registered
6,902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
D'oh, I didn't try using NA. But I put in boldface that they were not allowed to use my info in any manner or share it with anyone.

I didn't notice the chicken stock and worschester sauce. I just quit reading as soon as I found out the crab cakes didn't have fake crab (as I thought at first they would).

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
Good grief. They even have an encyclopedia at their site (glossary). You have to read this un-****ing-believable definition they opted to use:

Quote:
Home > Cooking > Encyclopedia

Encyclopedia

vegetarian

Definition: [veh-juh-TEHR-ee-uhn] Very simply, a vegetarian is one who eschews the consumption of meat or other animal foods. However, vegetarianism, which has been practiced since ancient times, is certainly not one-faceted. The wide-ranging custom of vegetarianism may be based on a variety of personal principles including religious (certain Hindu and Buddhist sects), ethical (cruelty to animals and more efficient use of world food resources), nutritional (the healthy benefits of reducing fat and cholesterol) and economic (nonmeat products are, on the average, less expensive). There are several types of vegetarians today. Vegans, who are the purists of the vegetarian world and who have the most limited diet, refuse to eat all animal-derivative foods including butter, cheese, eggs and milk. Ovo-lacto vegetarians consider such animal-related foods acceptable but, of course, do not eat meat. Then there are those vegetarians who will eat fish and/or poultry, but not other animal meat. Across the board, most vegetarians prefer their food organically grown and (if they eat fish and fowl) organically fed. Vegetarians get their protein from a variety of sources, such as foods from the large family of legumes.

Copyright (c) 1995 by Barron's Educational Series, from The New Food Lover's Companion, Second Edition, by Sharon Tyler Herbst
My comments:

Quote:
I think you need to review the definition of "Vegetarian" in your site's encyclopedia. While it's actually a bad, and unbelievably biased, definition (no vegetarian actually eats fish or fowl, because that would mean they're eating meat, which vegetarians don't do), it does make it clear that vegetarians don't eat meat. You should review your recipes section, because several "vegetarian" recipes include meat, which could become quite a problem, and possibly even expose you to legal liability.
Maybe the liability scare tactic will prompt a response or change.

·
Banned
5,034 Posts
From that article:

Quote:
Vegans, who are the purists of the vegetarian world and who have the most limited diet
"Limited diet" may be technically true, but this sure puts a negative spin on veganism.

Then again, "limited diet" could be used to say that the vegan foods offered in society are limited (ie; perhaps it wouldn't be seen as so limited if vegans were better provided for).

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
Epski... in response to this line of their defiition:

"Then there are those vegetarians who will eat fish and/or poultry, but not other animal meat."

They do not come out and actually state as fact that vegetarians do eat fish and/or pultry... they are saying "then there are those who do". There's a big difference here because the onlything they are really stating as factual is that there are indeed people calling themselves "vegetarians" who are still eating fish/poultry. On this board alone, consider how many posts have been about fish or poultry eating vegetarians. Or how many celebrity vegetarians eat fish.

It is a misconception yes, but one that is perpetuated by the fact that there are indeed people claiming to be vegetarians while consuming poultry or fish. As such, their definition is not entirely incorrect. Most of us know vegetarianism covers all meat, but a lot of so-called vegetarians do not yet understand this fact.

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
I know there's a big difference, Robert. In my letter, I even state that the definition accurately describes vegetarians as those who don't eat meat. However, my point was that the dictionary from which they chose to include a definition perpetuates the misconception that vegetarians do eat meat, which is, by their very own definition false and should, therefore, not be included in the definition itself.

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
Ok, good point. I was more or less getting at your mention of the "legal" issue since it could probably easily be argued that there are people claiming to be dedicated vegetarians, while at the same time they are chomping down some sushi.

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
Also, allowing for some discrepancies IN DEFINITION is fine, but having ingredients like chicken stock in a recipe (a hidden ingredient) when true vegetarians would not consume such things is just plain wrong. As Seusoman said, such a person eating fish etc is departing from the vegetarian diet not exemplifying it if eating fish.

·
Banned
10,763 Posts
borealis says:

===============

If you look at cookbooks, many of them divide up recipes by meat, chicken, fish and seafood. Especially the old standards like The Joy Of Cooking. So I think it's very natural for people to assume "meatless" means chicken, fish, or seafood.

=====================

I don't see how you come to the conclusion that "meatless" means "vegetarian" or that anyone else thinks it does. Vegetarian means restricted to vegetables. If you assume seafood is not meat, that doesn't mean that it is a vegetable. The recipes on the page weren't described as "meatless" recipes -- they were described as "vegetarian" recipes.

·
Registered
10,153 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Robert

Ok, good point. I was more or less getting at your mention of the "legal" issue since it could probably easily be argued that there are people claiming to be dedicated vegetarians, while at the same time they are chomping down some sushi.
Sushi can be vegetarian. Some people get it mixed up with sashimi (sp?).. which is raw fish.

·
Registered
431 Posts
I find the whole thing outrageous. But my first thought when I saw the recipe calling for chicken stock is how horrible it would be if some unknowing, unsuspecting friend made this recipe for a vegetarian friend. That would be worse than the crabcakes because the vegetarian wouldn't even know to refuse.

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Marie

Cucumber sushi is good.. and so is avocado sushi.

(off topic.. oops)
I LOVE cucumber sushi. I eat tons of it in one sitting. Thank goodness for Sushi Mac.

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
I like to wrap cornichons (cucumbers) in nori - delicious; and easy to do, you don´t have to rely on left over rice.

The definition of The New Food Lover's Companion resembles what cows drop to the ground, but isn´t this nicely said: ".eschew".

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
thanks for posting that thalia!

let's hope they reply to one of us at least.

here is my two cents worth >>>

---------------------------------------------------

hello,

i was looking through your site and i found some recipes for vegetarian dishes. being a vegetarian, i was very excited to see this as i am always looking for new recipes.

i have one small problem though, the ingredients you list have fish/seafood in them and these items are not suitable for vegetarians.

the dictionary says: vegetarian (n): one who eats NO meat or fish or (often) any animal products.

i think this is very misleading of your site to those trying to adopt a vegetarian diet and to those cooking for a vegetarian friends. i would be horrified to learn a friend had made recipes off your site for me thinking they were vegetarian and then i couldn't eat them.

i strongly recommend you to check out the website http://www.fishinghurts.com/ to learn more about how fish can feel pain just like a cow, a pig or a dog.

vegetarians abstain from eating any ANIMALS, that is anything with a face and anything with a mother, so to speak.

i will not continue to recommend your site with such material in it.

i would like to hear why you are promoting fish and chicken stock and crab/lobster meat in this VEGETARIAN section of your recipes site.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.