VeggieBoards banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone PLEASE give me some more ideas for lentils and beans. Every recipe I look at has Cumin and Coriander and there's just so much I can take before it all starts to taste the same. I use a lot of chilli and paprika too so not those... Arrrrggghhh no more masoor daal.

·
Registered
5,644 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by dk_art

"use liquid smoke"

--------------------------

LOL ... hahha that sounds like such an oxymoron. Does that come in a bottle?
I think so. Liquid smoke is a liquid that gives food a smokey flavor....

I don't know if it will sub for cumin and corriander, but it's worth a try.

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
Try experimenting with different spices, like cinnamon, fennel seeds, fenugreek, star anise (aniseedy), cardamom etc... I understand your boredom! If you want something a little more "sweet" (I can't think of any other way to describe it) try cardamom, cinnamon and maybe star anise... cardamom is lovely!

·
Registered
8,777 Posts
what about making southwest or mexican style beans?

They still have cumin but are completely different from what you described.

Instead, just make dried black or pinto beans like you normally would (boil for an hour, or soak overnight). Then, add just enough water in a pan to cover. Add chopped green peppers, onions, a jalapeno or two, and a fresh diced tomato. Add some cumin and salt. Boil, then reduce heat to simmer for about an hour.

Keep an eye on the water level - don't want them burning. Add a little more water if needed.

These are great in burritos or just on the side with tacos or a salad... enjoy.

amy

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys - I would never have tried cinnamon and I eat WAY to much mexican style meals already heehee.

BTW anyone know what I'm doing wrong when I cook lentils? The canned ones are still whole but when I cook them they break apart and the 'skin' part comes away - they aren't smooth either they come out textured - slightly rough. Hmm maybe I overcook them or cook them too fast? I usually drop them in boiling water and simmer them for about 25 mins.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.