VeggieBoards banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been a vegetarian for the past two years, and lately I've been seriously thinking about going vegan. The thing is, I can't cook, and I usually fend for myself food-wise. I tend to end up heating things up in the microwave or eating frozen food. The grocery store I go to has severely limited options vegan-wise, also. The rest of my family doesn't really ignore my choices, but I don't think my dad will be willing to start going to a different grocery store and helping me stay vegan. And there are almost no good vegan choices at my school. I haven't seen many quick-prepare things are vegan, and those that are are pretty expensive, another thing my dad would be pretty pissed about. I really do want to be a vegan, but I'm not sure how to go about changing things so drastically. Any advice? (I'm a bit new here, so apologies if I'm posting in the wrong board or doing something wrong.)

·
Registered
32 Posts
Im not a big cooker either, but there are ways to be a vegan and live out of your freezer. Several companies like Bocca and Lifelight make microwave stuff that have lots of protein and vitamins that us rabbits need to survive. There are also great vegan cookbooks (Vegan with a Vengeance) that have fast recipes for "on the go" vegans.

I would start slowly by weaning yourself off of milk (substitute soymilk) and then go to cheese. It was easier for me to give up milk for me, because I love pizza.

·
Registered
7,858 Posts
we might be able to help you out a bit more if you give us some information about where you live (to the country or state or whatever, not like...in a stalkerish way), what you eat now, how old you are, where you shop, etc.

·
Registered
7,858 Posts
but here's some basic advice:

*anyone can cook as much as I can. Vegetable curries made with sauces that come in a jar, pasta and some kind of sauce, cheeseless pizza, rice and beans, tacos (just replace the meat filling with sweetcorn & refried beans), PB&J, fresh raw fruit and veg, salads, tofu wraps, etc. These are all easy.

* packed lunches! you will need them!

* go slowly. Not everyone has to go vegan overnight.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Um. I'm 16. I live in Ohio. Now, I don't eat any meat(of course), don't eat gelatin, but I eat a lot of things with cheese in them. I rarely drink milk, I do like soy milk. I don't eat many eggs, but they're ingredients in some things I eat. And I shop for groceries at Cub Foods, and I buy school lunches.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Do you have any health food stores near you? A lot of the bigger chain grocery stores have been carrying more vegan-friendly stuff, but I know it can be hard to find. Especially now that weve learned that Morningstar Farms has been naughty.

Look for health food stores near you and look in your local grocery store for something called Quinoa.

And if you're looking for a book that might help you family understand your need to go vegan, check out The China Study. I've bought several copies for my friends to read. It seems to help.

·
Registered
104 Posts
hey im in pretty much in the same boat. lol i went vegetarian liek 3 weeks ago and 2 days ago i went full vegan and yeh my family r agnst vegetarianism and i havent even told them bout the vegan stuff lol so im just getting frsh veggies and stuff which u can get newhere and just liek encourage your family into nutrition i guess i dont know ne vegan or health stores near me so i eat a lot of fridge stuf adn whateva. so yeh ur not the only one!

·
Registered
157 Posts
Not everyone will agree with me, but I think you should take this opportunity to learn how to cook. It's not hard. When I was in high school I only used to make pb & j's and mac & cheese, but I started experimenting when I watched cooking shows on TV. During a busy day, cooking may be the only creative thing you do all day. It is really fulfilling to take some ingredients and turn them into something you can eat, and it hones your taste for food. I don't even measure anything anymore unless I'm baking something fussy. Maybe try getting a simple cookbook or watch a cooking show and see what you can do. You might be surprised.

·
Registered
71 Posts
yeah i am in the same boat too!!!

good luck

and i totally agree with Cojo

i love cooking and a good way too get around it (this is what i do at home)

i cook alot for my family, when i have the time - non meat - and from now on, i guess vegan meals - there fore i am learning to cook - i get to eat what i want and at my house we have a 'i cooked you clean rule' haha so i dont have to do the dishes
- usually what my dad does , depending on what the meal is he might cook some meat to go on the side. (if somone would be that desperate)

haha

good luck!!!!!!!

·
Registered
78 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by psychochick3339 View Post

I've been a vegetarian for the past two years, and lately I've been seriously thinking about going vegan. The thing is, I can't cook, and I usually fend for myself food-wise. I tend to end up heating things up in the microwave or eating frozen food. The grocery store I go to has severely limited options vegan-wise, also. The rest of my family doesn't really ignore my choices, but I don't think my dad will be willing to start going to a different grocery store and helping me stay vegan. And there are almost no good vegan choices at my school. I haven't seen many quick-prepare things are vegan, and those that are are pretty expensive, another thing my dad would be pretty pissed about. I really do want to be a vegan, but I'm not sure how to go about changing things so drastically. Any advice? (I'm a bit new here, so apologies if I'm posting in the wrong board or doing something wrong.)
I have been vegan for almost three months and I found these websites helpful! http://www.peta.org/accidentallyVegan/default.asp

http://www.imearthkind.com

The first site tells you commercial foods that are found at the grocery stores that are vegan, and the other site is a place to buy vegan cheese that is out of this world! It melts and tastes like the real thing! Those sites made my transition into veganism much easier and more convenient! Hope that helps!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts