VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am broke, so I can't afford to shop at at speciality store or health food store (they are noticable more expensive where I live) so I am trying to make due with what I can at the regular chain grocery stores. Anyway, they NEVER have veggie ground round at the store closest to my house. All the other Yves products are available, but they NEVER have the ground round. It's at the point where it became an issue. I went and talked to the Assistant Manager and I was being kind of friendly and he thought I was flirting with him for some reason. Anyway, I gave him my voicemail # (number that goes directly to my vm not my cell phone or home phone #) and he was all smiling, but that was just so he save some whenever they get thier shipments in and notify me. I think he thinks I was coming on to him. Did I just pimp myself for ground round?

11,550 Posts
even if he thinks you're coming onto him, i think if he has any sense, he'll be careful what he does with your number, and what he says, and how, (he shouldn't take it home with him, or call you for any reason other than to do his job, or anything).

if and when he phones you about getting your hands on his fake meat- he should watch it, cos he could get fired for innappropriate conduct by coming onto you, if you complained.

this puts you in a position where if he does come onto you, and you're freaked, you could get him fired, so he probably won't.

if you want him to come onto you, and he doesn't... you're lucky that you've now got the opportunity to come onto HIM, and that you have the makings of some interesting conversations around 'being desperate for something meaty to put into your mouth', 'getting your hands on his veggie meat', etc. you could even offer to make him a nice dinner with it, if he helps you get some (ground round).

either way, you did what you had to do, to get your needs met, lol, so don't be too hard on yourself... unless you were reaaaaallly flirty and undid like 12 buttons while you told him your number, in which case i'd say 'hhhhmmmm, thats a bit excessive,perhaps' and give you a slightly disaproving look, hehehe.

·
Registered
6,887 Posts
Pimpin' it for the ground round.

That. is. awesome!!!

·
Banned
5,772 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoodedclawjen View Post

even if he thinks you're coming onto him, i think if he has any sense, he'll be careful what he does with your number, and what he says, and how, (he shouldn't take it home with him, or call you for any reason other than to do his job, or anything).

if and when he phones you about getting your hands on his fake meat- he should watch it, cos he could get fired for innappropriate conduct by coming onto you, if you complained.

this puts you in a position where if he does come onto you, and you're freaked, you could get him fired, so he probably won't.

if you want him to come onto you, and he doesn't... you're lucky that you've now got the opportunity to come onto HIM, and that you have the makings of some interesting conversations around 'being desperate for something meaty to put into your mouth', 'getting your hands on his veggie meat', etc. you could even offer to make him a nice dinner with it, if he helps you get some (ground round).

either way, you did what you had to do, to get your needs met, lol, so don't be too hard on yourself... unless you were reaaaaallly flirty and undid like 12 buttons while you told him your number, in which case i'd say 'hhhhmmmm, thats a bit excessive,perhaps' and give you a slightly disaproving look, hehehe.
actually here in murica you aren't harassing someone until they have communicated that the attention is unwelcome.

·
Registered
5,660 Posts
I have voicemail, but I didn't know you could get a separate number to call it directly. The only thing similar to that is if I get a VM message and it tells me the other person has VM and I can send a message to their VM, but I've never tried that.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe View Post

I have voicemail, but I didn't know you could get a separate number to call it directly. The only thing similar to that is if I get a VM message and it tells me the other person has VM and I can send a message to their VM, but I've never tried that.
the phone company in my city offers it ... they are charge like 7 bucks per month ... it is an unique number not tied to a phone, cell phone, or pager... they give you a number with a crappy area code though (my city has 2 area codes)

·
Registered
5,660 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chocolate_girl View Post

the phone company in my city offers it ... they are charge like 7 bucks per month ... it is an unique number not tied to a phone, cell phone, or pager... they give you a number with a crappy area code though (my city has 2 area codes)
That's fascinating. They don't offer that here. And VM itself is only 4 or 5 bucks a month. Maybe if more people got VM they might offer those separate numbers for it.

BTW, I did try that VM to VM feature last night, but I think I only know about 3 people locally who have VM, so I dunno how useful it might be.

·
Registered
7,895 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nigel View Post

You've never heard of "the 909," I'll assume.
you guessed right, never heard of it.... please explain, is it one which is superstitious or one with some sort technical fault due to perhaps over-complexity of numbers in the area? Just guessing here.

·
Registered
7,895 Posts
where do I get hold of VoiceMail anyway? are you all talking about a specific program literally known as VM but which is applicable only to phones and not PC's ?

·
Registered
9,260 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA~goth~UK View Post

how is defined a crappy area code? LOL (serious too?)

keep us updated on your date before our interest in you becomes flirtatious too.
Area codes work different ways in different locales. In the US, an area code consists of 3 digits. These three digits are prepended to a 7 digit phone number (that number is actually split into 2 pieces, but those pieces are more important to our historical past when there were fewer phone numbers.). Usually, locales start out their lives happy with one area code, but as the locale grows in number of phone lines, we begin to run out of numbers for a particular area code. Some locales handle this by splitting into two smaller locales. Some locales give cell phone numbers a different area code than landlines. Both of these are good solutions in my opinion. These solutions mean that as long as you are dialing someone in the same locale as you, you only have to dial 7 digits and you never have to worry about the area code unless you're dialing outside of your locale.

However, some locales decide to "share" two area codes, with the newer numbers using the newer area code, and the older numbers keeping their same area code. This usually results in you having to dial 10 digits no matter what number you are calling. Currently, the city of Albuquerque has out grown its current area code, 505, and the "10 digit phone number solution" where you must always remember and dial the area code is one they're discussing. Most businesses here don't want to change area codes due to the cost of reprinting ads, business cards, and brochures. To have a mixed area would suck though.

Anyway, that's the scoop on how American telephone area codes work.

·
Registered
5,660 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA~goth~UK View Post

where do I get hold of VoiceMail anyway? are you all talking about a specific program literally known as VM but which is applicable only to phones and not PC's ?
Voicemail is a service offered by the phone company here in the US. There is nothing tangible to buy or possess. The service is similar (in result) to having an answering machine, except Voicemail can be set to "answer" an incoming call even if your line is already busy--which is what I mainly use it for. Voicemail also works during an electric power outage, when a physical answering machine may not. There are other differences, but those are the main two that concern me.

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by froggythefrog View Post

Area codes work different ways in different locales. In the US, an area code consists of 3 digits. These three digits are prepended to a 7 digit phone number (that number is actually split into 2 pieces, but those pieces are more important to our historical past when there were fewer phone numbers.). Usually, locales start out their lives happy with one area code, but as the locale grows in number of phone lines, we begin to run out of numbers for a particular area code. Some locales handle this by splitting into two smaller locales. Some locales give cell phone numbers a different area code than landlines. Both of these are good solutions in my opinion. These solutions mean that as long as you are dialing someone in the same locale as you, you only have to dial 7 digits and you never have to worry about the area code unless you're dialing outside of your locale.

However, some locales decide to "share" two area codes, with the newer numbers using the newer area code, and the older numbers keeping their same area code. This usually results in you having to dial 10 digits no matter what number you are calling. Currently, the city of Albuquerque has out grown its current area code, 505, and the "10 digit phone number solution" where you must always remember and dial the area code is one they're discussing. Most businesses here don't want to change area codes due to the cost of reprinting ads, business cards, and brochures. To have a mixed area would suck though.

Anyway, that's the scoop on how American telephone area codes work.
The entire state of Ohio has ten-digit phone numbers now.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts