VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Which presidential candidate do you think would uphold beliefs and values congruous to our own regarding factory farming? Teach me, please. I need to be a more active knowledgeable citizen.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Come on, there has to be something.

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jentlytread View Post

Which presidential candidate do you think would uphold beliefs and values congruous to our own regarding factory farming? Teach me, please. I need to be a more active knowledgeable citizen.
She's not even born yet, but she's going to be a wonderful person.

As for the ones we have now, I'm supporting Obama. Not because he's strongly pro animal rights, but because he's not a part of the religious right hate machine like all the Repubs including Ron Paul.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh James xVx View Post

She's not even born yet, but she's going to be a wonderful person.

As for the ones we have now, I'm supporting Obama. Not because he's strongly pro animal rights, but because he's not a part of the religious right hate machine like all the Repubs including Ron Paul.
Ditto.

·
Registered
116 Posts
You don't have to listen to my rant
the best thing for you to do is go watch some videos and look up some statistics for yourself, but here's my view-

Ron Paul is the only person that opposes the federal reserve... He might not be able to rid America of the deeply rooted banker control over our nation and economy, but he's the only one willing to try. What does that say about all the other candidates? Ron is the only one that isn't a payed off puppet, and that includes more than any other our current president. Ron is the only guy who's been preaching the same stuff for 30 years and his views don't change based on poles, public opinion, media opinion, or even how much his own party supports him. Many people don't realize that our presidents get payed half a million bucks each for life after serving as president. Ron has openly opposed this and is refusing to take it himself. There is a complete lack of any legitimate dirt to be found against him- unlike all other politicians trying to get presidency.

Yes he's christian, so is Obama. He's also homophobic, you could bash that. However he feels that personal views have no place in the federal government and he doesn't care if you're gay or not, he's wants equal rights, freedom, and liberty for every american- gay/straight, religious/atheist, black/white, man/woman, doesn't matter.

What he preaches most is that the government is too large, he wants to greatly reduce its size and cut taxes. He wants to cut regulations and subsidies, he believes in free market and he's right. He wants to take the governments hands out of the school system so that maybe it won't be one of the worst in the developed countries anymore. He wants states to have power over their laws, not the federal government. This means states decide individually on issues such as abortion and gay marriage- this is the system that was devised by our founders. Ron wants to cut all the bs and go back to how we were set up. He wants to get rid of the IRS, CIA, and most importantly the Federal Reserve. He wants to end the war on drugs, reinforce the constitution, bring all of our foreign posted troops home, and stay out of everyone else's business. No more America the police invading less developed countries that just happen to be a huge source of oil that we get to liberate.

·
Give peas a chance
1,715 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ret View Post

What he preaches most is that the government is too large, he wants to greatly reduce its size and cut taxes. He wants to cut regulations and subsidies, he believes in free market and he's right.
In your opinion, do you think Ron Paul would be against laws and regulations relating to animal treatment and welfare?

·
Registered
116 Posts
Unfortunately we never got Dennis Kucinich in office. Seems he has been the only one that might of shown much concern for animal welfare, being vegan. I haven't seen anything to show Ron cares one way or the other. I doubt he'd do any more or any less than any other candidate for animals. Likely addressing it when it comes up, i doubt it's something that's even crossed his mind.

·
Give peas a chance
1,715 Posts
Quote:

Unfortunately we never got Dennis Kucinich in office. Seems he has been the only one that might of shown much concern for animal welfare, being vegan. I haven't seen anything to show Ron cares one way or the other. I doubt he'd do any more or any less than any other candidate for animals. Likely addressing it when it comes up, i doubt it's something that's even crossed his mind.
From what I've heard I don't expect Ron Paul to do anything to improve the welfare of animals... and none of the other current candidates either. My concern is that, especially in his case, he seems extremely aggressive in his ambitions to eliminate regulations and laws. And I wonder what the implications of that would be for animals, the environment, humans... if he is successful. Because I think if you take away government oversight of things like animal welfare, things will quickly deteriorate.

·
Registered
6,741 Posts
None of them currently.

But have a heart, don't vote Republican.

·
Registered
116 Posts
There's two ways our government could function. Large that sacrifices civil liberty and a populace that takes little responsibility for what goes on because the government is supposed to fix it for them. Or a smaller government built on civil liberties and power of individual states and a populace that must play a more responsible role because big brother isn't there to mother and control them.

I agree with you that much damage would probably be done after Ron is elected, but only in a way that would be good for people. In a free market system we stop seeing subsidized markets like hormonally injected meat and gmo/heavypesticide foods. With the government no longer there to continue pouring our tax dollars into broken and corrupt systems that are being taken advantage of by fat cat capitalists, I believe the outcome for the environment will be a positive one. Animal rights possibly the same, but i also imagine in other aspects there will be negative effects in the immediate time.

There's much to consider, but overall i think a free market system with little government control is what's best for the people and the planet. Besides that though, there are many other reasons that i'd vote for Ron in a heart beat over any other candidate i've ever seen, the only one i'd possibly consider vs. him being Dennis Kucinich.

-and again, Ron is the only guy that opposes the federal reserve.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Quote:

You don't have to listen to my rant
the best thing for you to do is go watch some videos and look up some statistics for yourself, but here's my view-

Ron Paul is the only person that opposes the federal reserve... He might not be able to rid America of the deeply rooted banker control over our nation and economy, but he's the only one willing to try. What does that say about all the other candidates? Ron is the only one that isn't a payed off puppet, and that includes more than any other our current president. Ron is the only guy who's been preaching the same stuff for 30 years and his views don't change based on poles, public opinion, media opinion, or even how much his own party supports him. Many people don't realize that our presidents get payed half a million bucks each for life after serving as president. Ron has openly opposed this and is refusing to take it himself. There is a complete lack of any legitimate dirt to be found against him- unlike all other politicians trying to get presidency.

Yes he's christian, so is Obama. He's also homophobic, you could bash that. However he feels that personal views have no place in the federal government and he doesn't care if you're gay or not, he's wants equal rights, freedom, and liberty for every american- gay/straight, religious/atheist, black/white, man/woman, doesn't matter.

What he preaches most is that the government is too large, he wants to greatly reduce its size and cut taxes. He wants to cut regulations and subsidies, he believes in free market and he's right. He wants to take the governments hands out of the school system so that maybe it won't be one of the worst in the developed countries anymore. He wants states to have power over their laws, not the federal government. This means states decide individually on issues such as abortion and gay marriage- this is the system that was devised by our founders. Ron wants to cut all the bs and go back to how we were set up. He wants to get rid of the IRS, CIA, and most importantly the Federal Reserve. He wants to end the war on drugs, reinforce the constitution, bring all of our foreign posted troops home, and stay out of everyone else's business. No more America the police invading less developed countries that just happen to be a huge source of oil that we get to liberate.
However much I'd like to respond to this all, I don't feel this is the right place. So much to disagree with.

·
Registered
6,793 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpius View Post

None of them currently.

I usually vote for the candidate that does not give me heebie-jeebies.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Quote:

There's much to consider, but overall i think a free market system with little government control is what's best for the people and the planet.
I agree, and please take into account my limited political experience/opinion.
It seems to me, individuals have more compassion when having to make conscious choices themselves, rather than conveniently allowing the govt to think for them. Our American society is so lazy and lackadaisical with everyday choices.

·
Ex-*****
5,391 Posts
Quote:

It seems to me, individuals have more compassion when having to make conscious choices themselves, rather than conveniently allowing the govt to think for them. Our American society is so lazy and lackadaisical with everyday choices.
I tentatively agree with this, but I would hesitate to conclude this is the outcome in a free market / truly capitalist system, where power shifts to big corporations which I'm sure would also gladly do the thinking for us. As they do already e.g. through commercials, product placements, branding, monopoly building (thereby forcing us to buy their products), lobbying, purchasing politicians and indeed entire governments. The driving force in capitalism is profit, and there are countless examples of corporations going to extreme lengths to maximise their profit, such as environment destruction, human and animal exploitation. I don't see any reason to believe the situation would be made any better by limiting or eliminating regulation and the government which enforces it.

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
The role of individual lifestyle choices can't be downplayed in the animal protection movement, but it's ultimately going to be a combination of legislation and those choices on a wide scale that breaks the current system. None of the current crop of presidential candidates is really 'on our side' fully. I doubt none of the 2016 pack will be either, or the 2020 pack. In fact I don't personally expect to see an outwardly animal friendly much less vegan candidate for another two decades. We can't just decide not to vote or to vote on a single fringe issue when there's so many other important things at stake out there, though.

·
Registered
10,324 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh James xVx View Post

Same here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpius View Post

None of them currently.

·
Registered
6,741 Posts
Quote:

You seem to give people/citizens/individuals too much credit. Do you REALLY think that every voter in the U.S. is capable of handling themselves without any aid from the government (think: health care, building highways/roads, basically all the things tax dollars go to that most people take for granted) ?
If the government truly "thought for us" then there wouldn't even be elections and a legislative branch in the first place!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts