VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Premium Member
34,591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been a vegetarian for over 2 years now and have always wanted to go vegan. So 2 days ago (Wednesday) I went shopping and bought a ton of food I could eat. I planned on started everything yesterday (Thursday). Then, I woke up yesterday with the flu! Now there's two ways I could see this... it could be God telling me not to do it, or it's just helping me get a head start considering I couldn't eat dairy let alone ANYTHING yesterday. I chose to think the second one.

It's just my luck. I was so determined.

I do have a quick question for everyone. Do you have a hard time finding breads without honey or Whey in them? I went to Trader Joe's (my favorite store) on Wed and couldn't find any! I settled on the healthiest and luckily, honey was the last ingredient, not one of the first. So I know it's a minimal amount. I don't know if anyone here shops at Trader Joe's, but they have a TON of vegetarian and vegan friendly items. I thought for sure they'd have vegan bread in their own brand.

UPDATE: I forgot I had this page bookmarked: http://animalliberationfront.com/Practical/Health/I%20Can't%20Believe%20It's%20Vegan!.htm

·
Registered
236 Posts
Yes, it can be difficult to find vegan breads. There are a few that are vegan, but have high fructose corn syrup (which I would choose if that was my only option). I dunno if Trader Joe's has vegan breads, but I do know that the grocery I go to has Rudi's organic breads and many of them are vegan (one has honey, but it says so right in the name--honey wheat). I also noticed that some of Publix's deli-made breads are vegan. If you go to any stores that have a deli section where they make their own breads, you might check them to see if they're vegan.

·
Premium Member
34,591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No, the stores here are too lazy to make their own breads. :p I've looked long and hard at the grocery stores nearby, but haven't found those brands. Now that I think about it, if any store besides Trader Joe's would have it, it would be Ralphs. They have a huge selection, but the prices are almost double than any other store. I'll have to check it out.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
I make my own bread and it's pretty fast and easy. And I use soy milk.

I know many artisan breads are vegan~ they go bad pretty fast, though. You would find those in the bakery area of your store, and you can ask for them to slice the bread if it isn't sliced and you need it to be.

I do know buying any bread is more expensive than making it. And the more "strict" the diet, the more expensive the finished product.

It may be worth it to look around (thrift stores are great for this) for an inexpensive bread machine and start making your own. You don't even have to be home for it to do the job.

I make mine by hand, as I don't have or want to have a bread machine. I'm also home with my kids all day, so I do have the time.

These are available in most stores and are vegan:

Sara Lee Heart Healthy Plus 100% Multi Grain Bread

Sara Lee Heart Healthy Plus 100% Whole Wheat Bread

Those 2 for sure, no honey, whey, etc. http://www.saralee.com/saraleebrand/...px?category=24

(several others looked fine but did have honey)

HTH. And if you want bread recipes, I can share. Mine make 2 loaves per recipe, so if you are using them in a bread machine, you'd need to halve the recipe.

·
Registered
236 Posts
I'll try to remember next time I'm at the store to see which common bread is vegan (but has high fructose corn syrup in it)...I know it has an image of an Omish-looking horse and carriage
I've also noticed that quite a few "artisian" breads are vegan...I've bought some at bread stores (like Panera--all the artisian except those with cheese in them and they say the cheese name in the bread name), though they are quite expensive.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bekajoi View Post

Those 2 for sure, no honey, whey, etc. http://www.saralee.com/saraleebrand/...px?category=24

Neither of these breads is vegan...both have vitamin D3 (which is animal derived--only D2 is vegan).

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Ah well... they looked good until then. Its why I don't bother trying to read lables half the time and just make things myself. Sorry! Glad I put the link there for you, though!

·
Registered
236 Posts
Yeah, thanks for the link
I actually have a bread maker and enjoy the bread I make it in, but I've gotten lazy now that I can find Rudi's bread at my local grocery

·
Registered
1 Posts
The TJ's by my house has ezekiel bread. I'm pretty sure it's completely vegan. I can actually understand what all the ingredients are, which is nice.

·
Premium Member
34,591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by bekajoi View Post

I make my own bread and it's pretty fast and easy. And I use soy milk.

I know many artisan breads are vegan~ they go bad pretty fast, though. You would find those in the bakery area of your store, and you can ask for them to slice the bread if it isn't sliced and you need it to be.

I do know buying any bread is more expensive than making it. And the more "strict" the diet, the more expensive the finished product.

It may be worth it to look around (thrift stores are great for this) for an inexpensive bread machine and start making your own. You don't even have to be home for it to do the job.

I make mine by hand, as I don't have or want to have a bread machine. I'm also home with my kids all day, so I do have the time.

HTH. And if you want bread recipes, I can share. Mine make 2 loaves per recipe, so if you are using them in a bread machine, you'd need to halve the recipe.
The brand I usually by, Trader Joe's, expires within 2-3 days. I end up throwing half away or sending to my bfs house.

I have a bread machine (its my moms), but I haven't had time to really clean or even get vegan bread recipes. Once I'm over the flu and I have another day off, I'll look into that.

I actually do buy Sara Lee sometimes (the delightful bread is good), but prefer the TJ's brand because the flour isn't Enriched.

I'll send you a message next week about the bread recipes. Thank you!

·
Premium Member
34,591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by shellwaves View Post

The TJ's by my house has ezekiel bread. I'm pretty sure it's completely vegan. I can actually understand what all the ingredients are, which is nice.
When I went on Wednesday, they didn't have that many breads. Half of the time when I go there, it's either picked over or they haven't gotten their new shipment in. They don't keep on the shelf long, so it's hard to keep them stocked without wasting. One of the checkers told me that the Ezekiel bread is really good. I've been wanting to try it, but it's always gone when I shop. I'll keep trying
Thanks!

·
Registered
3,984 Posts
also note: you may or may not notice certain changes from the detox when you no longer consume dairy. From foul flatus, to other fun detox things, oh and withdrawal might hit as well.

Just get over the hump and good luck!

Support from your sig:

"How can you be pro-life and eat dead animals?"

How can you be pro-life and support veal or the slaughter of thousands of newly born male chicks? (dairy)(eggs)

"Vegetarians are animals in bed"

vegetarians taste better...

vegans taste best <3

<3

·
Registered
203 Posts
Not sure if it was said already, but check the freezer section. A lot of the breads I've found in the frozen area are vegan and preservative free (hence the freezing part) and they taste amazing.

Ezekiel 4:9 is some amazing stuff and I have some new 7 grain stuff in my freezer now (i'll get the name when i get home) and it even says 100% vegan on it
It's quite delicious as well

·
Registered
4,604 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by danakscully64 View Post

I don't like rye. Bummer. I'll keep looking.
Oh, there are other vegan varieties as well. That's just the one I like. And regarding your bread going bad, because I don't eat bread that often, I always keep it in the freezer and thaw or toast as needed.

·
Registered
684 Posts
Trader Joe's Sprouted Wheat berry bread is vegan.

I suggest making your own breads. Once you get the hang of it, it's really easy. Make a few loaves and freeze 'em.

I've found I don't eat very much bread since there are so many other things to eat, but vegan bread is definitely easy.

·
Premium Member
34,591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by troub View Post

also note: you may or may not notice certain changes from the detox when you no longer consume dairy. From foul flatus, to other fun detox things, oh and withdrawal might hit as well.

Just get over the hump and good luck!

Support from your sig:

"How can you be pro-life and eat dead animals?"

How can you be pro-life and support veal or the slaughter of thousands of newly born male chicks? (dairy)(eggs)

"Vegetarians are animals in bed"

vegetarians taste better...

vegans taste best <3

<3
I think I'll be okay. For the last week, I've been turned off to the idea of eating dairy and animal products, so I've been cutting it out slowly. So far, I've eaten vegan almost 100% (with the exception of 2 pieces of toast with honey inside... I couldn't hold down anything else with the flu). I'm eating Vegan marshmallows now and I have homemade veggie soup cooking.

That Vegetarians taste better site made me dizzy! haha

1 - 20 of 35 Posts