VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
heyy. im currently on the switchover from vegetarian to vegan. i have eliminated milk, eggs, and pretty much everything. except for cheese. so i bought this vegan cheese to help me out, and it was horrrrrible... any suggestions????

·
Registered
379 Posts
what brand was it? i rarely eat vegan cheese but the kind i do eat is called vegan rella. personally i think its pretty good but it does kinda have a aftertaste(not a bad one). also make sure the cheese you bought doesnt have casein in it

·
Registered
11,049 Posts
Vegan cheese is horrible and nasty and never, ever will be even CLOSE to dairy cheese. There's no good vegan cheese. You learn to just go without. It gets easier.

OK, that's the harsh and brutal truth.

AFTER being cheese-free for quite a while - like usually a year or more - some people find a vegan cheese that they can tolerate. Some (few) people even "like" it... but it doesn't taste even remotely like dairy cheese and for a lot of vegans they just don't bother.

I definitely would not recommend trying to "switch" to cheese substitutes at the same time you're transitioning to veganism.

There's a whole "cheese (or dairy?) support" thread here somewhere.

It really DOES get easier.

·
Registered
6,887 Posts
I didn't like any of the cheese subsitutes until months after not eating dairy.

I just had to go without and satisfy my cravings for gooey and fattening with things like creamy guacamole, hummus and babaganoush.

I do really like vegan gourmet cheese, but it's hard to find, and I honestly don't know if it's very cheese like or not. It's the best cheese sub I've found though.

The toffuti stuff is also good, but it's made with hydrogenated oils, which I try to avoid.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by synergy View Post

The toffuti stuff is also good, but it's made with hydrogenated oils, which I try to avoid.
I cant stand that stuff. The smell reminds me of my old flatmates sweaty socks that he'd leave all around the place

·
Registered
19,134 Posts
TNS has it exactly right.
I've just recently found a cheese here in the UK that I can accept. But, it doesn't taste like cheddar.

If you're having specific cheese cravings, you might be able to find something to help, but cold-turkey seems to work better for some.

Perhaps the time helps because your tastebuds start to forget what dairy cheese tastes like?

·
Registered
33 Posts
The best "cheese" I ever had was almond cheese...DOn't know if it was vegan but I have not been able to find it ehre in GEorgia. I used to buy it at Fred Meyer when I lived in Oregon...

·
Registered
38 Posts
I've only tried Imearthkind Follow your heart. It taste pretty good. Well imo xD it's delicious. I like cheese more now that I've tried vegan cheese. I'm such a loser hahah. My b/f who's an omnivore thinks the cheese taste like metal which i totally disagree.

There are many brands of substitute cheese. If you don't like tofu cheese substitute there are almond and rice. Here's a list of different brand you can try. Maybe you'll like one of those. Well here are some brand available in Queens, NY

Soya Kaas - soy cheese

toffutti - soy cheese - Better Than Cream Cheese and Better Than Sour Cream

soyco vegan - soy cheese and rice cheese

soymage vegan - soy cheese

NuTofu- soy cheese

Soy A Melt - soy cheese

Tofu Cream Chie - soy cheese

Vegan, Tofu, Hemp, Zero-Fat and Almond Rellas - rice, almond, tofu cheese

If you absolutely hate rice, soy and almond cheese substitute, try nutritional yeast, it has a cheese like flavor.

hope that helps

·
Registered
3 Posts
I've been wondering about good soy cheese products too. But I disagree that they will never taste like the real thing. Just look how far other vegetarian substitutes have come.

I guess I will really have to work on my love of fondue. Soy stuff just doesn't melt

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
I like cheesly... only tried the cheddar and to me its like mozarella... except it went a bit cack on pizza. never tried anything else, i like my cheese grateable (woo pasta) and everything else in holland&barrett is slices

·
Registered
898 Posts
The only American vegan cheese that i can stand are:

Galaxy American Slices

Veganrella

Galaxy Vegan Parma

All of the other ones I have tired are gross. I haven't tried them all though only the ones that are available around me.

If you haven't tried Sheese yet, you might want to give it a try. It is from Scotland but is now available to purchase online in the States and at a few stores. It is the best vegan cheese I have ever had so far. We have a little thread going on it right now. My bf made me pizza bread with the Edam today and it was quite nice - nice gourmet tang too it!

http://www.veggieboards.com/boards/s...ad.php?t=67157

It is a bit expensive but, IMHO, I would rather spend a couple extra bucks on something that tastes decent rather than a few less bucks on something that will make me want to throw up.

Almond cheese that is being talked about can be made from raw almonds and needs to ferment to get that nice tangy taste. I don't know where you can buy it but you can find a recipe for it online. There are a few raw cheese recipes here: http://www.livingtreecommunity.com/store2/recipes.asp

My bf knows how to make all kinds of raw vegan cheeses from nuts - bad side is that they take a while to make, can be expensive because of the nuts and stink up your kitchen while they are fermenting! They are quite good once finished though.

You might want to try this book too if you are willing to make cheeses yourself:

http://www.amazon.com/Ultimate-Unche.../dp/1570671516

I have faith that vegan cheeses will get better and better in the future!

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nova79 View Post

I've been wondering about good soy cheese products too. But I disagree that they will never taste like the real thing. Just look how far other vegetarian substitutes have come.

I guess I will really have to work on my love of fondue. Soy stuff just doesn't melt
Fondue recipe from Vegan lunch Box

Lunch Box Fondue

Kids love to dip things! Be sure to include a long-handled fork to dip the veggies with. This recipe also makes a nice "cheese" sauce to pour over baked potatoes or steamed greens.

makes about 2 cups

½ cup chopped baby carrots

one 12-oz. package soft or firm silken tofu

¼ cup nutritional yeast flakes

¼ tsp. dry mustard

1 TB mellow brown rice or white miso

1 tsp. fresh lemon juice

¾ tsp. salt, or to taste

pinch of white pepper

pinch of nutmeg

Place the carrots in a small saucepan and cover with a scant ½ cup of water. Bring to boil and lower the heat to a simmer. Cook until the carrots are completely tender.

Meanwhile, place all the rest of the ingredients in a blender. When the carrots are done add them and their cooking liquid and puree until completely smooth.

Place the fondue back into the saucepan and heat on medium low heat, stirring frequently, until piping hot.

To serve, pour the fondue into a small crockpot or fondue pot and serve surrounded by vegetables and bread for dipping (see our list of favorites below). To pack for a lunch, pour hot fondue into a small thermos that has been preheated with boiling water for 10 minutes.

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by queenfluff View Post

those look interesting! Hmmm, muenster cheese! I forgot about that cheese! Have you tried any of them? If so, how did they turn out?
Oh, I'm so sorry I missed that when you first asked me! Well, I haven't tried them yet cause it's literally impossible to get nutritional yeast in my country, but a friend has made the "Colby" one and liked it a lot, so definitely try them out if you can and let us know what you think!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Personally I think that the Tofutti "cheese" slices are THE BOMB! Granted, its been awhile since I've had real cheese.... but these taste freakin' amazing. Try 'em out. I doubt you'll be disappointed...

·
Registered
145 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dani_cat View Post

I like veggie slices that I bought from Trader Joes.
I am almost 100% sure that their house brand contains Casein, derived from milk/whey.

I like:

Follow Your Heart - good raw or on pizza

Tofutti - all their products: Slices - Mozzarella/American, Better Than Cream Cheese and I need to mention Sour Supreme (Faux Sour Cream) - I believe both the cream "cheese" and sour "cream" come in trans-fat free versions

I just tonight tried Soy Feta/Mediterranean Herb from Sunergia. Excellent! Very close in taste and texture to feta. www.sunergiasoyfoods.com

I use firm tofu in place of ricotta cheese (mixed with lemon juice, nutritional yeast and some seasonings)

And when I have a hankering for mac & cheese - I eat Mac & Schreese (sp?) from RoadsOrganics (I think I got the co. name right? )

1 - 20 of 22 Posts