VeggieBoards banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
TO both this forum AND the Veg lifestyle. I mean, I have always been a big veggie eater...but have recently seen the light and the dangers of consuming animal products. So, as my New Years 2012 resolution, I am giving up the flesh for a year. Wish me luck...I will need it!

·
Registered
25,067 Posts
I, on the other hand, am old.

Old like an apple that has mold on it.

Old like a pun that has been used by 5,603 people before.

Old like a cut strain of beard from Gandalf's grandfather.

·
Herbivorous Urchin
9,717 Posts
Goodluck! You may want to expand your attempt for forever than a year! Hope we can help ya if you need it

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys, for the support and the humor. I possibly will need the help. I have folks around me who will be hard to sway, so I am somewhat taking a solo journey. At least with sticking to it, and not caving (only to bring about caving again, then forgetting what you were even doing, then remembering and reaffirming, and caving again), I will be on my own voyage of goal reaching.

So, yes...I have promised myself to do this, and I will. But if I cave, I will only tell you guys, the board of veritable vegginess.

·
Registered
25,067 Posts
Welcome to the boards. You can ask for suggestions in the vegetarian support forum

(and maybe some of us will be able to convince you to become vegan later on
)

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I will say that my biggest obstacle, besides going the road somewhat alone, is that I live in rural Mississippi...where the closest thing to veggie selection is the dreaded corporate monster we love to call, Walmarts. We are not far from Memphis, which has a Whole Foods (I will actually be venturing that way today). You would think with all this farmland we might have a fresh market or two. But alas, that is way too forward thinking for most people here...who instead choose to dine at our many fabulous restaurants, ranging from McDonald's, Wendy's, BoogerKing, Sonic, Taco Bell, Capt. Ds, Pizza Hut, Arby's, not one but TWO Amerexican joints (probably the healthiest of all), a couple of all-you-can fried everything buffet houses (one seats over 600!, or 300 if you take into account most people there need two settings). Oh, and there's a Subway. We have a few local places but they just try their hardest to mimic the fast food chains.

So, in a nutshell....this is going to be difficult, to say the least.

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
As long as you've got a local market with a produce section, you should be good to go.

Welcome to the forums. Enjoy your stay

·
Herbivorous Urchin
9,717 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by robinroberts23 View Post

I will say that my biggest obstacle, besides going the road somewhat alone, is that I live in rural Mississippi...where the closest thing to veggie selection is the dreaded corporate monster we love to call, Walmarts. We are not far from Memphis, which has a Whole Foods (I will actually be venturing that way today). You would think with all this farmland we might have a fresh market or two. But alas, that is way too forward thinking for most people here...who instead choose to dine at our many fabulous restaurants, ranging from McDonald's, Wendy's, BoogerKing, Sonic, Taco Bell, Capt. Ds, Pizza Hut, Arby's, not one but TWO Amerexican joints (probably the healthiest of all), a couple of all-you-can fried everything buffet houses (one seats over 600!, or 300 if you take into account most people there need two settings). Oh, and there's a Subway. We have a few local places but they just try their hardest to mimic the fast food chains.

So, in a nutshell....this is going to be difficult, to say the least.
I know how difficult it can be, when I first went veg I was living in Alaska which is vegetarian/vegan hell. Once you learn the basics of what you can/can't eat, and how to make a full well rounded meal, you can get buy pretty good, even if all you have is wal-mart!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hey!! I lived in AK a few years, '04-'06. Anchorage, we were AForce. I kinda miss it...but you're right. Definitely a meaty state...unless you live in Girdwood

·
Herbivorous Urchin
9,717 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by robinroberts23 View Post

Hey!! I lived in AK a few years, '04-'06. Anchorage, we were AForce. I kinda miss it...but you're right. Definitely a meaty state...unless you live in Girdwood
We spent four years in Palmer/Wasilla area for four years and North Pole for 1 year, 2005-2010. The two cities that are SUPER unvegfriendly!

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
Hello and welcome!

I have moved your thread from the "Veggie Patch" to the "Introduce Yourself" forum, where people will be happy to come and greet you

1 - 14 of 14 Posts