VeggieBoards banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is how I like to do it: dredge the slices in a bit of corn starch, then pan fry in a tablespoon or two of canola oil and eat with salt and pepper. How much of that oil do you think they soak up? Do you think this is that bad, considering that the canola oil might be considered a "good" fat?

·
Registered
166 Posts
I dont think it's all that bad, since they say canola oil is very good. But dont overdose(aka, dont eat it like everyday) on it or anything. Then it wouldnt be so good for you. But I think if you're veg*n, and you're not eating a butt load of bad fats(aka, animal fat) then you're ok. : )

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
I really don't think it's that bad for you. If nothing else, you will feel more satiated when you eat something with fat in it and less likely to overeat.

Our bodies need fat, so trying to eat low-fat or fat-free all the time is as unhealthy as going overboard and eating too much fat.

If you are concerned about how much fat is in the tofu, be sure to measure the oil and heat the pan to medium heat. The cooler the cooking surface, the more the oil is absorbed.

·
Banned
2,081 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tearhsong2 View Post

The cooler the cooking surface, the more the oil is absorbed.
Really? I didn't know that. I'd think that when the food got warmer & softer it'd get more porous and absorb more oil. Interesting.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Hopefully not too bad, since that's what I had for dinner last night (but with peanut sauce). It's so yummy!

Once a week, it's a good treat

·
Registered
333 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica Alana View Post

Really? I didn't know that. I'd think that when the food got warmer & softer it'd get more porous and absorb more oil. Interesting.
Ever tried deep frying, not getting the oil hot enough and ending up with soggy, greasy food instead of something nice and crunchy? If the temperature's too low, the surface won't get "sealed" as quickly.

·
Registered
11,049 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thalia View Post

I use an iron pan and I don't have to use nearly as much oil as I would if I still used the teflon ones.
This is weird to me since my teflon pans don't require any oil - or maybe just a spritz..

My cast iron pan is great for frying - nice even temp and all..., and things don't stick - but it DOES need several Tbs. of oil to cover the surface (it's a large pan).

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Tofu-N-Sprouts, do you manage to get a crisp coating on the tofu even without the oil? That's what I like best about doing it this way. I don't know if it will work w/o the oil.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I'll bake the tofu either in the oven or toaster oven, and as long as it is properly drained I get a somewhat crispy texture. It is not as "sinful" as deep frying.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts