VeggieBoards banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm just now taking an interest into cutting back sugar. I have weight issues already, but I'm pretty sure I have signs of pre-diabetic stage so thats serious to me, and I read that too much sugar helps speed up the aging process. I think I'm insulin resistant as well. :/

Sugar is one of the hardest things for me to give up, and I dont aspire to cut it out completely, and I doubt that's even possible, but I would like to make changes obviously. First, I want to understand Fructose.

The amounts found in fruits are safe, yes? If I eat a bunch of fruit will it affect me negatively?

So I get that most packaged foods have added sugar, but what are some solutions or options that dont require becoming a gourmet chef? I can barely cook, and I dont have space and sometimes not even time. I live a dorm, so keep that in mind.

I do like the faux meat products and things like that ,but I havent been eating much of them this year, just lots of tofu, beans, vegetables, and bingeing on carbs like cereal, bread, etc. and i love sugar in my tea! I should probably cut back on fruit juices as well, no?

I'm not articulating this well, but my main questions are what are some suggestions to keep fructose intake to a minimum or moderate level, and what are some suggestions to reduce sugar intake over all?

·
Banned
2,587 Posts
Sugar is addicting just like cigarettes, caffeine and other drugs. It takes a few weeks to kick sugar addiction, once you get over your cravings for sugar almost entirely go away. But the only way to get over sugar addiction is to not eat sugar

sugar in fruits is fine. diabetics usually need to monitor fruit intake or avoid fruits that are high in sugar, some fruits have way more sugar than others.

sugar is added to A LOT of foods. you have to be a detective and read all labels and know that words ending in -ose mean sugar.

you can still eat healthy food with limited cooking skills, space and time. living in the dorm the rice cooker became my best friend, a crockpot is good to use too. in a rice cooker you can cook flavored rices by adding veg broth and spices, add veggies like peas and carrots. cook other grains in the rice cooker like millet, quinoa, and oats. crock pot is great for cooking beans all day while you are out and about, chili, marinara, are all easy and cheap.

Faux meat is a sometimes foods, not an everyday food, its best not to rely on these for nutrition

You mention fruit juice and this is a big culprit of added sugar. Most fruit juice for sale today has added sugar!!! it is crazy bc juice is already sweet. I'm seeing more juices available now w/o added sugar, just 2 years ago there weren't any at my local stores
Look for juice that says 100% juice.

In general try not to let yourself get hungry bc this is when we tend to reach for sugary foods the most. if you eat enough proteins it is easier to avoid sugar. i also found that eating baked potatoes really helps a lot too.

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
Fructose is fructose. What makes fruit different is volume and the fact that it's absorbed slower. Theoretically it could be dangerous in huge quantities, but it's far from being responsible for the obesity or diabetes epidemics.

Refined sweeteners are the biggest problem because A: they can be in the bloodstream causing an insulin rush in a matter of minutes of being consumed and B: are highly concentrated, making it very easy to overdo. Even unsweetened fruit juices are very easy to overdo.

From what I've read, I believe that anything over 30 grams a day of sugar, fructose, agave nectar, honey, or any other pure sweetener is dangerous, especially if you're already showing signs of insulin resistance. The insulin does as much or more damage to your system as the sugar itself, and if you're insulin resistant than your body has to use more of it than anyone else. Insulin also increases VLDL, which more closely tied to heart disease than LDL as a whole.

Now if you opt to continue eating sweets, even in small amounts, you certainly have that choice. Everyone needs to do what makes them happy. But I'm going to be blunt, there is no "safe" level. Sugar (and it's cousins) and refined flour are downright dangerous, and are increasingly being recognized as the primary causes of the diseases of civilian.

I'm not anti carb by any means, too much of the wrong kind is poison. One of the most significant things anyone can do for their health is to ditch the sweet tooth. It will eventually kill you.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts