VeggieBoards banner

So Bob, are you REALLY vegan then?

2K views 26 replies 19 participants last post by  Carley 
#1 ·
From Biggest Loser Bob Harper's Twitter today ...

MyTrainerBobBob Harper

I woke up craving egg whites today so decided to have them....so crazy!! It's been so long. Also had strawberries & oatmeal. #fb

#2 ·
I saw that on Facebook and was really disappointed. Then after watching one of his 'cooking' videos where he was using greek yogurt I unliked him on Facebook and won't be watching anymore of his training videos. There were a few comments asking him how egg whites were vegan, but mostly people congratulating him on eating something not vegan.

Another celebrity vegan bites the dust.

#7 ·
From his bio:

Harper recently chose to follow a Vegan lifestyle. He enjoys a plant-based diet because it makes him feel clear-headed and strong. As a result, his genetically high cholesterol dropped more than 100 points. In 2010, he became the spokesperson for Farm Sanctuary, won the Veggie Awards "2010 Person of the Year" award for VegNews and was honored as PETA's Sexiest Vegetarian Celebrity of 2010.

He needs to update the bio. And, give the awards back.

#8 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by PRC47 View Post

From his bio:

Harper recently chose to follow a Vegan lifestyle. He enjoys a plant-based diet because it makes him feel clear-headed and strong. As a result, his genetically high cholesterol dropped more than 100 points. In 2010, he became the spokesperson for Farm Sanctuary, won the Veggie Awards "2010 Person of the Year" award for VegNews and was honored as PETA's Sexiest Vegetarian Celebrity of 2010.

I agree. Jerk. And here I am, unassuming, non vegan looking, been vegan for 5 1/2 plus years and have never looked back. I think Farm Sanctuary even named a rescued piglet after him. I think a name change is in order. I love Farm Sancuary but they need to make sure they give their awards to people who want to be vegan for real. No surprise on the VegNews thing. They deserve each other.

#12 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisMTL View Post

... :x

You'd think being a celebrity vegan you'd feel more disciplined 'cause so many people look up to you, and watch what you do.
I think celebrities are starting to figure out that doing things like this gets them a lot of attention and publicity.

Maybe I'm just being cynical but every time a 'vegan' celebrity talks about how they eat cheese or eggs or whatever sometimes it gets them a huge flood of media attention and name recognition as a result. I only know who Ginnifer Goodwin is for that reason

I personally have no giant uncontrollable desires to run off and eat animal products and then blab about it to everyone periodically, and I find it hard to believe that I have more self discipline than a guy who actually works out regularly and is into fitness. And I also find it hard to believe that all these people are so lacking in self awareness that they wouldn't think about what kind of reaction the things they say publicly will get.

I think it's more likely this is a calculated attempt to get attention, and hey it works! Vegans get infuriated and rant about it and spread the info everywhere, and omni's think it's great that he is weak and inconsistent about what they consider flaky ideals and congratulate him for becoming more like them and easier to relate to.

#13 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Werewolf Girl View Post

I think celebrities are starting to figure out that doing things like this gets them a lot of attention and publicity.

Maybe I'm just being cynical but every time a 'vegan' celebrity talks about how they eat cheese or eggs or whatever sometimes it gets them a huge flood of media attention and name recognition as a result. I only know who Ginnifer Goodwin is for that reason

I personally have no giant uncontrollable desires to run off and eat animal products and then blab about it to everyone periodically, and I find it hard to believe that I have more self discipline than a guy who actually works out regularly and is into fitness. And I also find it hard to believe that all these people are so lacking in self awareness that they wouldn't think about what kind of reaction the things they say publicly will get.

I think it's more likely this is a calculated attempt to get attention, and hey it works! Vegans get infuriated and rant about it and spread the info everywhere, and omni's think it's great that he is weak and inconsistent about what they consider flaky ideals and congratulate him for becoming more like them and easier to relate to.
Well said.

#15 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashlend View Post

I read something else recently about how he "cheats" every so often. I do really like him (I love The Biggest Loser) so it is disappointing.
Yeah like Somebodyelse said there was already a thread about this idiot. I had no clue who he was but I saw him on Rachel Ray talking about being vegan but "cheating" because he loves cheese so much. The guy was really obnoxious and just kept going on and on about cheese.

#16 ·
Wow. What is this with the cheese. I see this often. Can't go vegan, like cheese too much, vegan cheese is so bad. I was never much of a cheese eater. I guess I'm lucky that being vegan is such an easy no-brainer for me.

Vegan but cheats = not a vegan. Yeah, more for the media.

#19 ·
I don't know why everyone is freaking out over this - it's not ideal to "cheat" but it's not the end of the world. It's still way better for the planet and the animals to do it most of the time and it was an egg-- it's not like he ate a steak. I think it's fine to be human and not so strict. And his diet is still "plant-based" if he had a couple of egg whites and everything else is plants. I'm with whoever said at least he's open about it and not lying.

#20 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by PRC47 View Post

From his bio:

No he doesn't, he's still vegetarian...

#21 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh James xVx View Post

I hold celebrities to a lower standard than average people. That way when they actually don't disappoint me it's a bonus.
hahaha that's awesome!

#22 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Veggie View Post

I don't know why everyone is freaking out over this - it's not ideal to "cheat" but it's not the end of the world. It's still way better for the planet and the animals to do it most of the time and it was an egg-- it's not like he ate a steak. I think it's fine to be human and not so strict. And his diet is still "plant-based" if he had a couple of egg whites and everything else is plants. I'm with whoever said at least he's open about it and not lying.
I agree with you about it not being a big deal... but there's no such a thing as being vegan and cheating on it. That just means you are not vegan. It's like if I told my wife I cheat on her "just once in a while" that wouldn't make me a faithful husband, no matter how I worded it or how open I was about it. She'd leave my ass, so this guy (who I don't even know, I don't watch much TV or anything) shouldn't be using the word vegan to describe himself.

#23 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Veggie View Post

No one is freaking out, and it is more damaging to the idea that people can thrive without animal foods than not when famous people make it look impossible. As long as celebs like this idiot give the impression to millions of fans that human beings cannot survive without eggs, chickens will be living in factory farms. Everyone in the world who wants eggs, and is led to believe by celebrity failures that they can't live without them anyway, can't be supplied with eggs without the factory farming of hens. This is most definitely not better for the planet or animals.

#25 ·
Why OH Why do these people want to make life harder on those of us who have actually, really, truly "adopted a vegan lifestyle"!!?? How is it that I, a lowly, average, normal, non-famous person, am able to stick to my vegan convictions and these freaking people in the spotlight...the ones I have to have shoved in my freaking face about how they are not vegans anymore or how the vegan diet made them sick...CANNOT!!!! I really don't crave eggs, but I do crave tofu "egg". I have on occasion craved cheese, that is when I have something gooey and cheese-y but it is still VEGAN!!! For someone who is so disciplined with his exercise for his own life and well-being, he apparently does not have that discipline when it involves something else's life and well-being. If he wants to eat eggs then go ahead that is a choice, but PLEASE do not confuse the general public regarding what it is to be a vegan.....this is why when I say I am vegan I still get f****** cheese on my sandwich or people say "oh then you want the fish then".....UGH!!

#26 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by alayne2002 View Post

Why OH Why do these people want to make life harder on those of us who have actually, really, truly "adopted a vegan lifestyle"!!?? How is it that I, a lowly, average, normal, non-famous person, am able to stick to my vegan convictions and these freaking people in the spotlight...the ones I have to have shoved in my freaking face about how they are not vegans anymore or how the vegan diet made them sick...CANNOT!!!! I really don't crave eggs, but I do crave tofu "egg". I have on occasion craved cheese, that is when I have something gooey and cheese-y but it is still VEGAN!!! For someone who is so disciplined with his exercise for his own life and well-being, he apparently does not have that discipline when it involves something else's life and well-being. If he wants to eat eggs then go ahead that is a choice, but PLEASE do not confuse the general public regarding what it is to be a vegan.....this is why when I say I am vegan I still get f****** cheese on my sandwich or people say "oh then you want the fish then".....UGH!!
I think you are taking this too personally - Bob isn't trying to make your/our life harder - that hasn't crossed his mind. And I think I am right in saying he adopted a vegan diet for health purposes rather than animal rights, so eating the odd bit of animals products won't make a difference for him. He doesn't have 'vegan convictions' like you or I have, he has cut out of animal products purely for HIS benefit.

That doesn't mean that I think he should label still himself as a vegan - perhaps he should call himself a 'flexible-vegan' (like Peter Singer does) or a strict vegetarian, to clarify things.

Having said all that, if he does influence others to cut down on meat/dairy/egg consumption, and encourage others to go 'veganish' then that ultimately benefits the animals. And that is all I care about.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.