VeggieBoards banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just spent the last 3hours making an apple pie!

The dough almost had me jump out the window!

How do you guys make it? I used a recipe from Joys Of Vegan Baking and instead of using shortening I used all margarine, which might be part of the problem right??? I don't find vegan shortening here

I first refrigerated all the dough ingredients like said in the directions. And today I used my KitchenAid. Maybe I should just do it by hand?

I just couldn't properly roll it without having pieces break! And the dough wasn't even too dry. It was super irritating. I ended up just making an open top pie because rolling the second piece would have been the end of me!

Does anyone have a good recipe not including shortening? Any tips or videos are GREATLY appreciated!

·
Registered
501 Posts
Oh gosh! That sounds horrible! I would've made an open pie too after all that! I'm not much of a help as far as pie crusts go, I always go the lazy route and use those Pillsbury premade ones
I'm sure they aren't vegan though :/

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
lol thanks

another thing, the now baked crust actually SMELLS of fat. Ewww...

·
3,936 Posts
I've made pastry for a quiche a few times and I just use flour, oil, and water,(plus salt).

I personally mix the oil in with the flour until it goes crumbly, and then add in the water.....you need enough water to make it doughy so that it can be rolled, without falling to bits....the water does something to the gluten, in the flour, or something.

·
Banned
2,587 Posts
you can't find vegetable shortening? are you outside the US? its a REALLY common ingredient, maybe you aren't looking in the correct section in the market, its usually on the dry goods shelves by baking ingredients.

crusts are much easier if you don't use margarine, its not solid at room temp and causes major problems if you don't work super fast.

i use veg shortening for bulk recipes because its cheaper and reliable.

however for a single pie i use coconut oil and it works perfectly just like a butter crust without the disgusting butter flavor.

here is a rough recipe ( i don't measure so these are estimates):

2 cups flour (pastry works best for pie crust)
1 tsp salt
1/2-3/4 cup coconut oil (or shortening or a mixture of both)
1/4 cup vodka
1/4-1/2 cup water (you may need more or less depending on your flour)

pulse the flour, salt and oil in a food processor until crumbly. drizzle in liquid while pulsing processor until the dough barely comes together. knead 5-10 times no more. this dough does not need to be cold like butter dough, simply roll it out within 5 minutes of making it. it is delicate but its also incredibly easy to stick it back together if it breaks, the vodka gives it a play doh feel, a dream to work with!

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanx so much !
I live in Switzerland. I need to get a lot of my stuff on my trips to the US or UK (like TVP and Vital Wheat Gluten) and I just forgot the shortening
I need to ask again in my health food store here. So it is like a flour? Or like a butter?
I will for sure try your coconut oil recipe!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Do you have Copha???? You will find that in the refrigerated section of the supermarket near all the butters etc. It comes in a block and is rock solid (it's the main ingredient use it to make chocolate crackles) mmmm yum!

·
Registered
319 Posts
What Blobbenstein said works (although I don't do the crumble thing, I just eyeball it and mix in more flour and water if need be). Liquid oil will work fine as long as you don't use very much of it.

Try kneading your dough more; that can help the gluten stick together. Use Safflower or Canola oil if you can find that (since they're still relatively high in monounsaturated fats, and don't taste as strong as olive oil).

If you do use solid oil:

Don't use shortening if you can avoid it- it's hydrogenated oil, and contains a fair amount of trans-fat that is possibly even worse than saturated fat. Palm oil is about as bad.

Coconut oil is probably a little better- if anything, it's certainly the "least of all evils" where solid fats are concerned. I would go with luvourmother's recipe there- it sounds like a winner!

Best of luck!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.