VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I mean it seems rather hypocritical that I am not eating meat yet wear leather shoes.......
but I cannot see myself just chucking out my still like new Dr marten maryjanes......anyone? What do you think? I am also sad that my fave shoes ever that I have been wanting (a pair of dansko's) are also leather.......can someone please direct me to some stores with CUTE vegan shoes.....I looked on zappos and did not see any I liked

Thanks

·
Registered
166 Posts
Vegan Essentials has great cruelty-free shoes. Ive heard many vegans say that they havent thrown away their leather/fur stuff, because they might have spent quite a bit, it might have some great importance to them, or they just dont want to watse them. If you do choose to not use them anymore, dont throw them away, give or donate them to someone who will need them : ) It's totally up to you with what you do.

·
Registered
674 Posts
You dont have to throw out any clothes if you dont want to! Really, its not a big deal if you wear leather shoes if you dont buy any new ones, IMO.

And it would be expensive too.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by karenlovessnow View Post

I think most people wear out what they have and just make new purchases cruelty free.
Bingo!

Some might argue that it sends a wrong message. But I say do what you're comfortable with. And if an omni gives you a hard time, just break your leather shoe off in their ass.

·
Ankle Biter
9,333 Posts
Dansko does make a vegan closed-back clog - it's a felt-like material, and comes in gray, red and black.

I gave away my leather handbags and wallet and replaced them with fabric and pleather, but I'm still wearing some leather shoes. Any new ones I buy are cruelty-free. Payless and Target are great sources for fun shoes.

·
Registered
885 Posts
Most people continue to use leather until its worn out. I did. A couple people asked me about it (gleefully, as if they caught me doing something "wrong") - anyone who would do that to you is pretty insecure about themselves. Just tell them that it doesn't help animals or the environment if you toss them, and that your next pair, once these are worn out, will be vegan.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Definitely wear out your shoes, there is nothing wrong w/ still having leather as long as you're ok w/ it. I would suggest not buying any more but that is a personal decision everybody has to make.

Years ago people (omnis) would always get me on that but you know I would always respond, once you stop eating the meat I 'll stop wearing the leather. That was before I knew meat & leather are not coming from the same cow.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks again and I am off to check out the sites!!! Oh and i do love Target and Payless shoes too
Now to find some like my danskos I have been eyeing as not planning on buying anymore leather!!!

·
Registered
702 Posts
This is probably pretty obvious but I thought I would throw this out there too.

Whenever I do any kind of animal protests (circus, fur, KFC etc.) I make sure I am wearing shoes and accessories that are obviously not leather (ie. canvas tennis shoes, cloth purse). People will try to pick on anything and I don't want to give them anything to take away from the message I am trying to put out there.

Not sure if you do anything like but it is something to think about if you do.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I would not throw it away, because thats wasteful. I have continued to wear leather shoes I had and I also purchased a 2nd hand pair of leather pumas (well they were brand new, never worn from the 2nd hand shop).

But I would never buy leather items from the producer.

·
Registered
548 Posts
If you feel okay about it, wear it. Lots of people do.

I personally dont like to buy real leather stuff often (Im lacto ovo, not vegan btw), it just seems pointless to me as often times its more expensive and there is a lot of fake leather that is just as good. I dont really like the look and feel of leather either, personally. If you dont care much about name brands, pay less shoes (Im assuming you are in the US, Im not sure if they are overseas or not) has lots of fake leather shoes (sandals and heels and stuff) that are cheap and actually cute and a lot of them look like real leather.

·
Registered
0 Posts
i agree if you feel okay about it keep wearing them...when i became a veggie..(I am a l/o veggie and dont wear or use any animal products make-up shampoo...ect.) 16 years ago...i gave all my leather/fur/wool goods away....to family and friends and peta and the goodwill...i just couldnt wear the stuff anymore and never will again but i feel its a personal decison and people should do whats best for them.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks ladies I do love payless and target shoes for my ones I wear occasionally but if I am on my feet a long time I prefer my danskos or dr martens which sadly the ones I like are leather (why they have not made them in pleather or man made stuff yet is beyond me!). I do wear lots of vans and other assorted canvas shoes and veg safe sneakers
Thank you so much!

·
Registered
168 Posts
Do what I do. You wear the things out and buy new things leather free. What is done is done, it is what you do in the future which matters.

·
Registered
98 Posts
It would be pointless throwing out your old leather, etc. Unless you feel like "purging yourself" of your old life as some sort of ritual, I think you might as well hold onto old clothes, etc, until they are threadbare. I still have some woolen hats, gloves, etc, that I've had for years. I don't see any need to replace my winter gear given that in Britain snow only falls for a few weeks a year, at most.

I would echo comments above - if you attend any protests, etc, don't wear anything that is obviously leather etc. People will find any reason to dismiss you (and thus ignore the animal rights message) so always avoid handing them their excuses on a plate.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts