VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My husband decided that he has fallen in love with snakes and wants to own one. I'm comfortable with this, but I told him that it must be adopted and not from a pet store. The Humane Society here only has one snake available and they advised me that that particular snake would not be good around children (we have a 2 year old) so we turned to kijiji. There is a beautiful ball python there that someone needs to sell as it's illegal in the province they're moving to. (Or something like that..)

My main question I suppose is, are there any moral implications to buying a snake second hand off of kijiji? Should we wait until one turns up at the humane society?

·
Registered
326 Posts
snake are pretty rare in shelter's anyway so I wouldn't wait around for the rest of eternity for one to turn up, I'd go ahead and get that snake you had your eye on. Who knows where it will end up if no one takes it.

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
If the snake needs a home, I'd consider it the same as adopting from a shelter, regardless of where it originally came from. An animal in need of a home is in need of a home.

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fadeaway1289 View Post

Would the snake have to eat small animals?
Well, yeah, that's what snakes tend to do so they can stay alive. The snake's going to eat small animals whether they have it or not.

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegkid View Post

Well, yeah, that's what snakes tend to do so they can stay alive. The snake's going to eat small animals whether they have it or not.
Yes, I've thought about this. Carnivore's gotta do what a carnivores gotta do. But it is one of the many reasons I have to adopt. I don't want to contribute to the breeding of more snakes, and thus, more mice used for food.

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
Quote:

Yeah but live animals?
Probably... long time ago one of my roommates had a pet rattlesnake (don't ask) anyway the thing would not eat dead animals unless it was the one that killed them.

·
Banned
1,803 Posts
Quote:

Yeah but live animals?
It is usually recommended to feed them dead animals. Although you have to warm up said dead animals to body temperature before feeding because the snake won't eat it unless it thinks it's alive. (You need to fool the snake's heat receptors.. And for fussy snakes you might have to wiggle the mouse around to tempt the snake and let the snake "kill" it) Feeding live mice/rats to snake can be very dangerous and stressful for the snake as mice and rats can fight back (and they will fight because they don't have the option of fleeing) and they can seriously injure the snake. (Not to mention how awful it is for the mouse/rat
)

(Strange topic to have come up seeing as I've been helping to feed snakes today... )

Limes, go for it. It's an animal in need of a home at the end of the day.

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
Quote:

Yeah but live animals?
Would you rather feed a snake a mouse that has been frozen to death in some factory somewhere or a mouse who is killed by the snake itself?

It really comes down to that. Neither option is perfectly moral or morally perfect, but something has to be done.

·
Registered
6,548 Posts
So how do the snakes do in nature when they can't have anyone else kill the prey for them?

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Envy View Post

So how do the snakes do in nature when they can't have anyone else kill the prey for them?
Which is why I think it's more natural and humane to both parties to feed live prey, but that's just me.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Quote:

nope. in fact, a ball python's diet's consists primarily of lentils and tofutti cuties.

and yes live, either way the animal dies, and building off one of vegkid's points, either they get frozen to death, put in a carbon dioxide chamber, or killed by the snake itself. I'd go for the latter. Many snakes refuse pre-killed food and thawing is a pain.

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks everyone for your input
I hadn't thought about live vs frozen, I had only plans to use frozen, and that does seem the better route with no chance of injury to the poor snakey

And personally, I think I would rather freeze to death than get eaten alive...but maybe that's just me.

·
Registered
10,324 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorjor View Post

nope. in fact, a ball python's diet's consists primarily of lentils and tofutti cuties.
Well that was helpful.

I thought maybe there were certain breeds of snakes that are able to survive on a diet that didn't consist of rodents. Obviously I know nothing about snakes but hey thanks a lot for your informative answer.

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Quote:

Well that was helpful.

I thought maybe there were certain breeds of snakes that are able to survive on a diet that didn't consist of rodents. Obviously I know nothing about snakes but hey thanks a lot for your informative answer.
I think there's some breeds that eat only birds, but they're not the type you would have for a pet. I've seen some eat frogs too. But I think most eat mostly rodents.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Quote:

Well that was helpful.

I thought maybe there were certain breeds of snakes that are able to survive on a diet that didn't consist of rodents.
ok well sarcasm aside,

ill give you the benefit of the doubt that you thought some snakes fed on insects, not nibbling on spring grass,(if you did I don't need to know lol, my head might explode) yes there are one or two, Garters can eat fish,snails,worms, and insects although most people agree that in captivity, pinkies and fuzzies are ideal as they are usually free of salmonella and parasites and are a complete diet.

but other than that 98% of snake species in their natural environment consume a diet of rodents,small birds,lizards,amphibians, and sometimes other snake species(california kingsnakes often like to make a meal out of rattlers). again in captivity, rodents are the easiest.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts