2K views 22 replies 20 participants last post by  Kimberlily1983 
#1 ·
what do you guys eat for snacks?

i usually eat banana or rice cakes with peanutbutter or hummus
but would like some variaty

keep in mind I dont like nuts!

See less See more
#3 ·
I'm addicted to hummus and make about 3 cans a week. So much healthier and tastier than storebought.

Also, three bean salad.
Nuts and fruit.
Vegetable soup.
Roasted chickpeas.

Great topic! Looking forward to hearing other ideas!

#4 ·
I sometimes have rice cakes, with peanut butter and banana too!

I usually go for-
carrot sticks
fruit
seeds
biscuits
celery with peanut butter
homemade cereal bars
a fruit smoothie
a couple of veggie sushi

#5 ·
cereal, a smoothie, fruit, left-overs (seitan chicken, chili, a burrito, lentil soup, etc) toast, ramen, vegan grilled cheese (Daiya), a small salad, soy yogurt, a muffin, a bagel with vegan cream cheese, popcorn, hummus with veggies or whole grain crackers, a mini pizza...

#8 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Barilko View Post

Snacking is a great way to end up overweight-in fact right now on my browser there's thread full of people complaining about being fat-I wonder how they got that way?
Snacking helps me maintain my weight, since if I have a small healthy snack or two throughout the day I won't pig out at meals. At 30 years old, I have never been out of the "healthy" BMI range in my life, and I snack every day.

To The OP: my fave snacks are baby carrots with salsa, fruit with nut butters, trail mix (I make my own), Larabars, hummus and crackers.

#10 ·
Quote:

Snacking is a great way to end up overweight-in fact right now on my browser there's thread full of people complaining about being fat-I wonder how they got that way?
That makes it sound like you think people shouldn't snack at all. Snacking has actually helped people to maintain weight, and those who need to gain weight. I snack all day, just so I can maintain my weight (I use more calories than I eat).

Now, back on subject:

Chips and salsa (I know it's not that healthy, but it's a favorite of mine)
Carrots,
Celery and peanut butter (not sure if you like peanut butter or not)
Grapes
Strawberries
Crackers

#12 ·
Quote:

Huh? Long as your not eating a box of Oreos or bag Potato Chips you should be ok.

Ive lost almost 45 pounds with a diet that involves incorporating snacks into my lifestyle. As long you factor in calorie in-take for the day with your snacks and don't eat huge meals it actually will help you lose weight by speeding up your metabolism.

My Favs are

Greek Yogurt
Granola
Raisins
Bananas
Mixed Nuts
Pickles
Peanut Butter on English Muffin
Fruit of pretty much any kind

#13 ·
I have a bad snacking problem and I'm trying to switch to healthier snacks.

Nibs, carob chips, pistachio nuts, popcorn, apple sauce, smoothies, vegan microwave brownie, veggies and hummus, crackers, vegan pudding, vegan yogurt, tea, fruit salads, crunchy chickpeas, kale chips, chips and salsa or guacamole, spoonful of peanut butter.... the list could go on.

#14 ·
Snacking is great; it allows you to have more of a variety and experiment with fun little foods!
One could argue smaller meals as opposed to three heavy meals a day works out better for you. I'm not sure of the ins and outs but it's certainly more interesting that way! :)
My favourite snacks at the moment are:

~ Apples
~ Rice cakes
~ Corn rolls ('Amaizin' organic ones are great)
~ Cereal (adore 'Hale & Hearty Honey Bee Pops' right now!)
~ Spicy Lentil Rolls
~ Toast with Raspberry Jam
~ Herbal Tea (particularly Peppermint and Rose, Hibiscus & Vanilla)

#15 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunrise Over Sea View Post

Snacking is great; it allows you to have more of a variety and experiment with fun little foods!
One could argue smaller meals as opposed to three heavy meals a day works out better for you. I'm not sure of the ins and outs but it's certainly more interesting that way! :)
My favourite snacks at the moment are:

~ Apples
~ Rice cakes
~ Corn rolls ('Amaizin' organic ones are great)
~ Cereal (adore 'Hale & Hearty Honey Bee Pops' right now!)
~ Spicy Lentil Rolls
~ Toast with Raspberry Jam
~ Herbal Tea (particularly Peppermint and Rose, Hibiscus & Vanilla)
Spicy Lentil Rolls sound yummy! Are they something you make yourself?

#16 ·
I'm snacking all the time... And I'm right now very happily maintaining my weight, no problemo. Also lost weight while snacking constantly. I eat much better when I have several small snacks during the day instead of having three big meals.

Anyway, I love snacking on tomatoes, chips, liquorice, oranges, mandarines, lemons, bread with peanut butter, grapefruits, apples, kiwi fruit, ananas, etc. Yum. (I know, chips and sweets aren't the most healthy, but I don't eat them so often.)

Bill Barilko, you seem to have the unhealthy habit of hijacking threads with random posts that seem to be aimed only at causing frustration/anger. What's up with that?

#17 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kjesta View Post

Bill Barilko, you seem to have the unhealthy habit of hijacking threads with random posts that seem to be aimed only at causing frustration/anger. What's up with that?
I went back and read a few of his posts/replies. Seems he gets off on causing conflict, and making statements he's clearly uneducated about. So in essence, he's a *coughtrollcough*

#18 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashlend View Post

Snacking helps me maintain my weight, since if I have a small healthy snack or two throughout the day I won't pig out at meals. At 30 years old, I have never been out of the "healthy" BMI range in my life, and I snack every day.
Precisely. My eating habits are 1 or 2 meals a day and a few snacks, so I end up eating 5-6 times a day on average. And I'm 5'9" and weigh 140 lbs (or 176 cm & 63.5 kilos in metric), so it works. Especially as for most people who eat the standard 3 meals a day, their stomach stretches to a larger size than it's meant to, making them more likely to pig out. Your stomach is not meant to stretch to a size larger than 2 of your fists, which is something important to keep in mind when determining portion sizes. Anyway, here's some of my snacks:

-Apples
-Strawberries
-Yams(very quick and easy in the microwave)
-Almonds
-Chips & Salsa
-Guacamole
-Hummus
-Herbal Tea

#19 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by kasandra View Post

what do you guys eat for snacks?

i usually eat banana or rice cakes with peanutbutter or hummus
but would like some variaty

keep in mind I dont like nuts!
I eat waaaay more hummus that I should, but it's too hard to resist. Other snacks include fruit (every afternoon at work I have either an apple or orange), veggies, energy bars (store-bought or homemade), almonds, walnuts, cashews, popcorn, trail mix, dried fruit, etc.

#20 ·
i love snacking on fresh fruits, fresh vegetable salad and boiled nuts. i make fresh fruits fun to eat by slicing it in different shapes. i slice my apple really thin, add a bit of salt and i call it apple chips because it as almost like potato chips (lol).

#21 ·
I like triscuits and natural peanut butter, popcorn, home baked goodies occasionally only, leftovers, fruits/smoothies, pretzels or flax sticks from our local co op etc

snacking can definately fit into a healthy diet....spreads the calories out throughout the day.

#23 ·
Lately I don't snack. It's just been meals, that's it. But okay, from off the top of my head, I used to eat apples with peanut or almond butter and raisins; soy yogourt with ground flaxseed sprinkled on top; berries or other fruit and green tea; homemade whole wheat bread with hummus or tahini and blackstrap molasses. Carrot and celery sticks with hummus... Mmm, popcorn with melted vegan margarine or Earth Balance, nutritional yeast flakes, little salt... Tall glass of chocolate soy milk, or a mix of plain soy milk and frozen orange juice concentrate fortified with calcium. Soy smoothies of various kinds...

Mmm, remembering there's a pineapple sitting in the cupboard. But it's a bit late to be cutting into that tonight. Tomorrow!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.