VeggieBoards banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! I am a 'new' vegetarian - barely a week but I have been eating very little meat for quite some time and only just officially cut it out entirely. I'm really into healthy options and love cooking. However, I'm constrained within a rigid meal plan and need to balance out healthy, vegetarian options wit the correct calorific content and wondered if there were an ideas out there for some good snack options? Thank you in advance!! I have a few on a list already - things like frozen banana with PB or nutella, crackers with PB, porridge made with water and sweetener etc but wondered if there were any other ideas floating around?

·
Registered
344 Posts
Fruit and veggies in their natural state. They're low-cal with minimal prep time. Nothing like a juicy mango or some carrots with hummus dip.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
you could also try the collard wrap thing with blueberries and nectarine slices. it's pretty good.

yogurt with a few nuts or some fruit is good too.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
the yoghurt idea sounds heavenly, i have some greek in the fridge and some almonds... perhaps a few tablespoons of that with the nuts and some grated apple. i think that's me sorted for today!
the wrap thing sounds beautiful as well... not sure how my parents would feel about yet another francesca-item on the shopping list so i don't think it'll happen which is a shame as i actually just bought some avocados from the market.
any other heavy-ish snack ideas? thank you everyone for replying!!

·
Registered
221 Posts
Avocado with whole-grain tortilla chips or pita or something along that line. Actually, avocado is just an amazing food all around. : )

·
Vegan Very Metal
774 Posts
Rice cakes are not calorific. You could possibly try them with PB and cucumber. Also dried fruit may be a good option.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel Bonneau View Post

you could also try the collard wrap thing with blueberries and nectarine slices. it's pretty good.

yogurt with a few nuts or some fruit is good too.
To add to this, yoghurt is really low GI so it's a great snack! Keeps you full for ages. And even low-fat frozen yoghurt is low GI! Not as nutritious as regular yoghurt, but super yummy if you're craving something sweet/ice cream.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mittens View Post

To add to this, yoghurt is really low GI so it's a great snack! Keeps you full for ages. And even low-fat frozen yoghurt is low GI! Not as nutritious as regular yoghurt, but super yummy if you're craving something sweet/ice cream.
I just buy the regular cups of yogurt when they're on sale and freeze a few of them. let 'em thaw for like five minutes and good to go.

also: seconding cereal - with or without milk. my boyfriend makes a trail mix when he's out in the woods all day. it depends on what we have on hand, but its usually seeds, nuts, dried fruit, and either chex or cheerios.

and I used to keep a container of slimfast powder in my locker at work (tasted better than the sludge they call shakes) for when I had to work late - it's only like 200 calories or so if you mix it with almond milk or light soymilk.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I like to make myself a PB sandwich for my daily snacking. I cut it up into 4 pieces and have them in between classes if I'm feeling hungry. I also like making nachos with cheese and adding pre-made salsa (comes in refridge section of my grocery store) and guacamole (comes in little pre-made packets).

·
Registered
501 Posts
I keep cut up veggies and make a ranch dip out of Greek yogurt and buttermilk. VERY low calorie and tastes amazing. After you consume it for about a month, full-fat ranch tastes awful. I also love baked chips and salsa to get my chip fix.

·
Registered
814 Posts
I am addicted to larabars. The full size range from about 190 - 230 calories so I will cut it into 3 and eat it over the day.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts