VeggieBoards banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Found a tip how to use a pan as a smoker. Here is the video (though I have to warn that it uses fish but shows it very briefly, no cutting and such - you can stop watching the video after she places the metal rack and just listen from there): <a href="http://www.chow.com/videos/show/all/55603/how-to-use-your-wok-as-a-smoker" target="_blank">http://www.chow.com/videos/show/all/...ok-as-a-smoker</a><br>
Has anyone used wok pan to smoke food? I would like to try but I'm afraid of getting too much smoke and therefore bad attention for doing something that you are not supposed to do with a pan. People who I live with are very skeptical about this kind of experimenting and most definitely not allow if I tell them. Also, I'm afraid of setting off the fire alarm.<br>
So, have you tried? Or do you have other tips for that?

·
Registered
143 Posts
I never really like the idea of smoking over a pan and rack... I see them do it on iron chef, but there are better ways. It seems like it stink up your house.<br><br><br>
Do you have a grill?<br><br>
You can do indirect smoking on a gas or charcoal grill very easy. Put your Coals on only half the grill or put one gas burner on.... Put the tofu on the other side, where it isnt getting direct heat. Then put a foil packet full of woods chips on the side with direct heat... Preferabley on the coals or on the burner. I soak half the chips in water for 30mins before I put them in the packet. Close the hood and smoke till its done. From what I can read... 20 mins on each side.<br><br>
I never actually smoked tofu but now I am going to have to try it... So far Ive had tofu everyway i can think of and still dont like it, but maybe smoked is the way.

·
Registered
10,324 Posts
Looks cool but also makes me nervous. I wouldn't try it. Liquid smoke is the closest I'll get to smoking tofu. Liquid smoke is one of the greatest food inventions ever.

·
Registered
3,456 Posts
Wow, this really woks? Bad pun aside, this looks cool.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts