VeggieBoards banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, I'm having a cook-out for my daughter's birthday. We are serving many traditional-type foods (veggie-style): baked beans, potato salad, fruit salad, broccoli salad, potato chips, chips and salsa, etc.

So, I'm wanting to serve grilled dogs, but I don't know which brand is best for grilling and tastes the best. I was never a fan of meat dogs, and to me, the veg dogs all taste just as disgusting as the meat ones did. Before going veg, though, if I grilled my dogs to where they were almost black, then I could stomach them. However, I've found that the veg dogs tend to turn into rubbery little ... well ... dogs.

So ... do any of you have any tricks for this? I really want our omni family members to think: "Hey! These are surprisingly good!"

I was planning on serving grilled onions and peppers, as well as kraut and MAYBE veggie chili to go with the dogs ... but still, for those that just eat the dogs with ketchup and/or mustard, I want them to think they're pretty okay.

Anyway ... help anyone?

TIA

·
Registered
701 Posts
Smart Dogs are pretty good, but to be honest, I doubt you'll have an omni raving over them. If you really want to impress the omnis, maybe you're better off serving some good veggie burgers? You could do either soy-based like Boca burgers or some veggie-style ones like a black bean burger or a sante fe style burger. I think there are a lot of really tasty ones out there that are real crowd pleasers. And still do the chili as a side (or main dish).

Good luck!!!

·
Registered
478 Posts
I think the trick is to get them cooked just right - not over or under cooked. I've found that Ligtlife's dogs tend to turn out a bit rubbery no matter what.. Just last weekend I had some Yves dogs on the grill, and albeit they were a bit freezer burned, they turned out quite good. I took them off as they were starting to blister.. I dunno if they tasted all that much like real dogs though.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Boca makes some Italian Suasages and Smoked Sausages that are quite good. They would be great with the grilled onions and peppers. The texture of them is better than hot dogs IMO...but I'm not sure if they are vegan. Anyone know?

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah, I was kind of thinking about the Boca smoked sausages and bratwurst. I don't mind serving those (even though they're not vegan) ... but I think it would be less expensive to have the dogs. I hate to sound cheap, but veggie mock meats just aren't as cheap as the government subsidized meat - - and we're looking at feeding 25 - - that's going to be about 7-8 packages of veggie dogs!! And you get about eight dogs for about the same price as four boca sausages or four veggie burgers.

I'm thinking that OZ is onto something with the grilling while frozen thing. I think that would help keep them juicy.

·
Registered
415 Posts
My personal favorites are the Wonderdogs made by Lightlife. I have made these for my family and had them pretty confused as to why I was eating the same thing they were.
I came clean and told them they were veggie dogs and my brother thought I was lying. They are a tad on the expensive side though.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I just tried the Boca Bratwurst tonight for dinner and thought it was GROSS! now I am wondering what to do with the rest of the box (maybe the squirrels woudl like it???). I do like the Boca Italian smoked sausages though. It has been so long since I had meat that I don't know how authentic they are but I would bet they could fool some meat eaters. I thikn they are really tasty (grilled or microwaved).

·
Registered
428 Posts
Yes, you're right. The Boca sausages are expensive. I missed the fact that you need enough to feed 25! That would get pretty pricy. I've never seen the Bratwurst style. All I've seen around here are the Smoked and the Italian style. Anyhow...good luck! Maybe you could have a combo of veggie burgers and dogs. I like the Morninstar Farms dogs (again, not vegan) and Boca Vegan Original burgers the best. Let us know how it all turns out!

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I have found that I like(d) the Morningstar Farms veggie dogs the best. However, I have just gone off of milk and egg products recently , and I have not checked if they are Vegan or not. If you don't mind if whether they are or not, I think they are the Best!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts