VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 250 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!

I am so angry and have to vent... I just saw an ad on the telly for a horrible current affairs show. They are doing a show about smacking children and the line was "Smacking - we all do it. Now governments around the world are going to put a stop to your right to discipline your child." (I THINK I have the second sentence quoted correctly but I could be wrong).

I know this is a sensitive subject - but - just as I am proud to be an ethical vegetarian I am also proud to be a parent who does not smack her children. My blood started to boil when I heard "Smacking - we all do it" - ERRRMMM - NO WE DO NOT! I have to say I was really shocked when I saw a recent poll that said 94% of Australian mums think it's OK to smack their kids.

There are 101 ways to discipline your child without resorting to smacking.

Have I opened Pandora's Box by posting this thread? I'd like to hear what you think...

·
Registered
19,134 Posts
How long will this thread last?

lay your bets now folks....

Really vm, I think it is a good subject, just one that's very personal and generally results in an, um, vigorous debate here.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I don't "smack" or "spank" my child either.

I had corporal punishment used on me as a child...

I don't want my daughter to hit. So how can I justify hitting her, y'know?

I don't ever want my child to be afraid of me. I certainly don't want her "behaving" through her fear.

So...I'm with ya. I'd be disgusted too.

ETA: However, this is what works for OUR family. What works for you and yours may be different.

·
Registered
284 Posts
What we think of "smacking" a child? Or spanking? Is this considered as the same thing?

The term "smacking" brings to mind pictures of people being smacked across the face, which is never a good thing, child or not. I am mixed on the spanking issue...I wasn't spanked, and I don't think I'll spank my children. It hinders communication, which is vital for a healthy family.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
In Australia/NZ/UK - smacking is the same thing as spanking.

I know this is a very very personal issue, but I really think I will get a lot of support from VBers. We love animals, we love our children. It's about compassion, it's about thinking before doing, it's about living with passion, awareness and love.

Am I just an old hippie??? lol maybe...

·
Registered
995 Posts
I dunno about smacking children but I like to try and smack adults who tell me how I should be punishing my child.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
94% o_O

woah, that cant be right.

I think theres no excuse for it.

Children become scared of not doing something in case they get hit, rather than not doing it because its wrong. great moral development there!

·
Registered
800 Posts
<--- non spanker here. I've seen some parents spanking their children (not naming names). the poor kid is now scared out his/her mind, and cries when he/she sees the parent getting angry.

·
Registered
2,511 Posts
I think when kids are very young, a quick spank on the butt or hand is a good teaching tool for when they're too young to understand things like "a hot stove will burn you" and "hanging on the cabinet door is dangerous". It's more for negative reinforcement than punishment.

Once they're older than like, four and they can understand things like that, there are FAR more effective ways to teach kids how to behave (quality time with the mattress has always been the most effective disciplinary tool with my kids.)

·
Registered
4,604 Posts
I think it's bizarre in this day and age that they would say "we all do it." Cleary, we do not. Of course we've had this debate on VB before, but I'm another one in favor of never hitting a child in any way. There are always better disciplinary alternatives.

·
Registered
2,511 Posts
Um, yeah probably. Not like a beating, nothing that would hurt for more than a second. Not even like a real smack that would actually hurt.

I'm not okay with actual "spankings" as punishment. Just a very quick tap to keep very small children from hurting themselves.

·
Registered
19,134 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nigel View Post

I thought all Australians beat their kids. And eat them, too.
Silly, that's only dingos.

·
Registered
800 Posts
it's strange how the raising vegetarian children thread is usually dead until someone brings up spanking. I can't say that I won't swat at Elliott's hand if he reaches for the hot stove or runs out into traffic because he's just a baby. I think you have to have experience to know for sure whether or not something warrants a spank (tap on the butt, nothing painful).

·
Registered
2,511 Posts
I have a funny story:

Okay, my daughter has a GREAT (but morbid) sense of humor. We kind of have a family joke about "beatings" because people always compliment us on having such well behaved children so among ourselves, we joke that it must be because of all those beatings and then we all have a good laugh (my kids think it's hilarious that me and my husband both got regular beatings as children and that it was considered completely normal at the time.) Anyway, we were at Target one day and looking at camping gear and my daughter spotted a walking stick and very loudly said, "Look Mom, wouldn't this make a great beating stick?" then she breaks into hysterical laughter while my husband and I are all panicking that everyone in Target thinks we beat our children.

1 - 20 of 250 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.