VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I've been lurking here for a few months and have enjoyed reading all the post. I'm learning so much from all of you. If this is in the wrong thread I"m sorry.

I've gone vegetarian 2 months ago, and I was doing excellent until yesterday. My parents threw a party for my little sister who just graduated high school. There was a large selection of food there and one of my favorits (Pasta salad). It never really occured to me until after I ate a huge plate of it that there was bacon in it
I was very angy at myself for not paying more attention to this.

Have any of you eaten any meat without realizing it until you've already consumed it?

Squirt

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
i have. mostly chicken fat and beef fat in flavorings. try not to beat yourself up. be veg*n is an ongoing process, move on and just rty to be more careful

·
Registered
6,902 Posts
At a potluck I went to, there was a little bit of greenbeans left, so I started eating them. They had a strange flavor I couldn't quite place. Then I realized- the dish had had pork in it (but there were no pieces left in the little that was left). I didn't freak out, I just stopped eating it.

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
Very early on I missed "whey" in the ingredients list for a cereal. I was visiting family in the middle of Nowhere, MO (not the real name of the area), and I was thrilled to have vegetarian food, much less vegan, but I thought I'd done a good job of finding vegan stuff. I simply didn't catch it when I skimmed the ingredients. Incidents like this are merely reminders to pay more attention. Nothing to feel kick yourself over.

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
Som epeople use bacos, and from what i understand they are vegan, but i wouldnt worry over it any. It happens.

·
Banned
1,045 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Squirt22

You're all right...Thanks all. Today was a new day..and back to square one..no more meat for me
you were successfully vegetarian for 2 months, i wouldn't say you're back to square one

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That's a great attitude to have! What matters is that you just keep trying- no use in getting mad at yourself.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
after years I had some green bean salad at a family gathering and it had bacon in it. growl, not even the bacos. sigh.

slip ups happen but you have to just live & learn. that's about all there is to the whole bit. good luck in the future

·
Registered
93 Posts
After I was vegetarian a few months- a friend ordered pizza from my house, I ended up eating a slice of so-called cheese pizza after drinking a few cocktails and a few later I didn't feel very well. Turns out that the pizza had pepperoni *under* the cheese accidentally (grrrrr). Even as an omni, I never ate pepperoni. Yuck. Ended up sick all night. My stomach was not happy with me !

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Again thanks all...Why did I wait so long to partake in this site is beyond me..you gusy rock!

Thanks all...

I'm going on..and feel better

Squirt

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
She don'teatmeat: Ewww pep slices under the cheese? Yikes.

Squirt: You seem to be doing fine. We all make mistakes, it's just the natural process of diet change.

·
Registered
6,902 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Tiggzie

She don'teatmeat: Ewww pep slices under the cheese? Yikes.

Squirt: You seem to be doing fine. We all make mistakes, it's just the natural process of diet change.
I mentioned in another thread that this happened to me, too. But it was greasy Italian sausage.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Papa John's who is all big on promoting the fact it uses non-animal rennet in its cheese is the main one who puts the meat under the cheese.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
It is a long and difficult process, from what I've learned, the "friends" you meet here will support you.

If you didn't know it, you didn't know it.....as I've learned, from educated posts, "THINK, THEN EAT".

Good luck, it's a challenge, I've been working since April....

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Not too long ago, I went to my favorite Thai restaurant- and got my favorite junk food (fried veggie spring rolls- which I made sure from day one were fried in their own oil). I got all the way to the last bite on the 1st one (thinking the whole time that they had a funny flavor, but assuming I was being paranoid)- and looked down to find little chunks of some kind of meat (I'm thinking pork)- burried here and there in the cabbage. I was so ill. I quietly slid them away and then chugged a couple glasses of water. The server was new and didn't speak much english, so I didn't bother saying anything at that point. I really felt disgusting.

I, too, felt stupid for not checking and for not inspecting once I noticed the flavor. That is the only one I can recall for years of vegetarianism... I'm sure there are more I just don't know about.

I am done with fried foods anyway.....blech.

·
Registered
16,090 Posts
hmmm, last time I slipped up... Last week, I ordered a Blizzard from Dairy Queen and come to find out it contained dairy products. Gulp.

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
When I first went vegetarian, I didn't know that most refried beans are made with lard (duh) and I ate some when I was out with my family. Luckily I found out about that in time not to repeat the mistake.

Another time my friend bought me what she swore were vegetarian spring rolls -- then I found a big chunk of shrimp.

At least I never ate fries at McDonalds -- simply because I never go to McD's!

Seriously, slip-ups happen, especially when you're starting out -- but they're possible at any time. It doesn't change your intentions, or your veg anniversary. Like Epski said, it just makes you more careful in the future. My mistakes also make me want to educate myself a lot more, and this is a great place for that.

·
Banned
5,034 Posts
I find if I get served, unbeknowsnt to me, something with meat etc. in it at a party etc. and I don't find out until too late, it helps to cause a scene and yell at the perpetrators.

That way it never happens again. Not because they learn to be more careful next time, but because they never invite you TO the next time.

·
Registered
504 Posts
A couple of months ago at an Italian place I ordered a bowl of pasta fagioli (kind of a pasta & bean soup) and was adamant about making sure there it wasn't made with beef/chicken stock and parmesan cheese. I took a couple of bites and thought it tasted weird....they had put little pieces of Italian ham in it

1 - 20 of 27 Posts