VeggieBoards banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It comes down to the fact that I think my body was designed for a 36 hour day, not a 24 hour one. Right now, I sometimes have to work night shift for my job, but even before I started, my problem was always that I can't get myself to go to bed, and then once I'm asleep, I can't wake up despite the number of alarms which I set. I also very rarely remember my dreams, which I've been told by a few people is a sign of very deep sleep patterns.

I'm baffled at what's causing this, and I'm trying to find a solution, as often I only have a 7 hour window in which I can sleep, and I'm sick of oversleeping and being late for class or work because I didn't hear my alarm clock.

·
Registered
10,728 Posts
Do you snore? Have sleep apnea? Fibromyalgia? Chronic pain? PTSD or other disorder? How's your diet? Do you avoid caffeine? Do you have health insurance?

I'm sorry you're having these issues, it sucks!

·
Banned
841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
As far as I know, I don't have issues with snoring, sleep apnea, or fibromyalgia, however I do have chronic stiffness and cracking in my spine, which yoga has been helping, PTSD is an issue, I think my diet is pretty good considering I eat on the run a lot, and most of the time if I have caffeine it's when I have class. And unfortunately no health insurance, although I finish my degree this year, so I'll probably have insurance this time next year.

·
Registered
7,577 Posts
How old are you MIa?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mia82 View Post

I do have chronic stiffness and cracking in my spine,
If you're having sleep problems and stiffness or pain in your joints and bones, it could be related to a Vit D deficiency. You should really get a blood test done, but if you don't have any insurance, it might be worth the risk of supplementing with Vit D for about six months and see if you feel any improvements. A worrying number of my friends have been diagnosed with this deficiency over the last few months and not all of them are veg*n. It seems to be very common.

·
Rat Queen/Mouse Matriarch
836 Posts
I set 3 very loud alarms on my phone and keep it across the room because sometimes I'll snooze or dismiss the first 2 and go back to bed without remembering. Making myself get out of bed and walk around also helps. Not sure if this would help you at all or you may be doing it already. If there's an appointment I can't miss, I'll also leave my PC on and use the college alarm clock to play this or some other really catchy/annoying song to force me to get up:

If there's a health issue causing your sleep troubles, hope you can find out what it is and improve soon! I'm also having trouble making myself sleep at normal times, it's pretty sporadic for me right now. Sleeping and waking at different times every day.

·
Banned
3 Posts
Hi,
You should really get a blood test done, but if you don't have any insurance, it might be worth the risk of supplementing with Vit D for about six months and see if you feel any improvement. A worrying number of my friends have been diagnosed with this deficiency over the last few months and not all of them.

·
Banned
841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you guys, I never thought of Vitamin D deficiency, although it is very possible as the climate here makes it intolerable to spend time outside for much of the year. I'm 29, which seems kind of young for me to have back issues, although they're related to mild scoliosis so the struggle on that one has been lifelong. I also am setting 2 alarms already, although when I was playing with my phone last night I figured out how to add a multiple number of alarms to my phone, so that's something else I'll try.

This just really started to worry me as I work 2 jobs, I have the hotel front desk job and I also tutor accounting a few hours a week at my university. Usually, I work night shift at the hotel, which is 11 pm to 7 am. The shifts they want to give me for tutoring for the summer term are Monday to Thursday 3 pm to 5 pm, and I'm scared of getting in trouble for oversleeping at least one of my responsibilities as it doesn't leave a huge window of time to wind down, crash, then wake up again. It's a lot of responsibilities, but then again I need the money if I'm moving away from Georgia this October.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts