VeggieBoards banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, I'm a new veggie (only my second day) but I am absolutely committed and know that I will never eat meat again. What cemented my resolve was watching 'Meet your Meat', as well as a couple of other videos showing slaughterhouse activities. There is no way that meat will even be tempting again to me, now that I have seen the truth behind it.

My question is this: how can people see such videos and NOT become vegetarian? I asked my husband to watch 'Meet your Meat' and he did so but still said afterwards, despite finding it horrific, that he will still eat meat 'because he likes it too much'. I just can't understand this attitude and there must be many others like him.

What are your opinions on why some people can shut out the truth for their own pleasure? Are they cruel people? My husband is a lovely, gentle man and I know he was affected by the video but it still hasn't driven him to give up meat.

Are we vegetarians just too sensitive?

Many thanks,

MilkyChops.

·
Banned
4,482 Posts
hi and welcome ,

Well milkychops there just arnt no rules , people become veg in there own way .

Even you use to eat meat , were you insensitive hardly, it was just the right time .Things just came along and fell into place .

have fun

·
Registered
4,262 Posts
a.) Many people do not care about animals and are not affected by images of animal cruelty and killing.

b.) There are also many people who like or care about animals, but they do not care enough to make major changes in the way they live.

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MilkyChops View Post

My question is this: how can people see such videos and NOT become vegetarian? I asked my husband to watch 'Meet your Meat' and he did so but still said afterwards, despite finding it horrific, that he will still eat meat 'because he likes it too much'. I just can't understand this attitude and there must be many others like him.
If slaughterhouses had glass walls, wed all be vegetarians ---

sounds logical once youve turned veg*n, but it just isnt that simple.

Slaughterhouses almost do have glass walls nowadays.

There are documentaries shown on TV, loads of information available on the internet, etc.

Yet most people continue to eat meat.

Its simply how people were brought up.

Most are taught from childhood that it were necessary and/or alright to eat meat.

Its a habit, and many people (think or claim that they) would rather die than change a habit.

Not yet having changed their omnivore life-style alone doesnt mean theyre insensitive or cruel though.

First, I really dont think being veg*n is the most (or an) important characteristic in any person.

There are veg*ns who are completely ****ed up and insensitive, just as there are omnivores who are the most loveable and loving individuals in the world and vice versa, of course! No one should be loved or disliked just or mainly for being veg*n or omnivore.

Second, people can always learn, like you did - but you have to leave it up to them. You can share information, but do not expect them to react to it exactly the way you did.

I'm sure even before you saw that video, you knew where meat came from, didnt you.

But you too like probably most of us who werent raised as veg*ns have managed to shut out that truth for whatever reason, until recently.

No need though to feel bad about that, now that you have decided to go vegetarian. And please dont feel bad about your husband or other people, if they dont seem to feel about it the way you do.

Making the connection is not something that you can force upon a person. Some will understand and relate to your decision to go vegetarian more though, if they feel that your ethical beliefs are strong, if you can present them facts when they ask for information, and mainly if they see you are just doing great and being a healthy veg*n.

Its a good idea to learn a lot about veg*n nutrition and cooking yummy homemade veg*n food has surprised and impressed quite a few omnivore sceptics I know!

(veg*n = vegetarian/vegan)

Welcome to VB and good luck.

·
Registered
349 Posts
People are selfish. They don't give a **** about animals being killed, because it's the norm and has been for so many years. Familiarity makes it hard for people to consider not eating meat, as well as selfishness as I pointed out. Even people educated about slaughter and such don't care enough. A lot of people are still under the belief that eating meat is perfectly natural or that animals really aren't worth bothering about to that extent.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Quote:

My question is this: how can people see such videos and NOT become vegetarian?
Honestly, despite being a vegan-transitioning LO, I have never been dramatically affected by slaughterhouse videos either, and I feel really bad about it. My diet choices are about 80% because of my opposition to factory farming, but there was probably a good year between my seeing a video and totally changing my diet. I think my generation is pretty numb to violence. :/

·
Banned
4,482 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quinoa View Post

First, I really dont think being veg*n is the most (or an) important characteristic in any person.

There are veg*ns who are completely ****ed up and insensitive, just as there are omnivores who are the most loveable and loving individuals in the world and vice versa, of course! No one should be loved or disliked just or mainly for being veg*n or omnivore.

Second, people can always learn, like you did - but you have to leave it up to them. You can share information, but do not expect them to react to it exactly the way you did..
Well said Quinoa

·
Registered
62 Posts
I think most people are perfectly aware of where meat comes from and that they don't need videos to show them. (Most don't realize just how horrible the conditions are, but that's besides the point.) I have actually never watched a slaughterhouse video and I've been a vegetarian for 5 years and a vegan for about 2 months now. In my experience, most people just don't realize that they can easily make a positive change in the world by changing their diet. They may see a video and think, "That's so sad!" but they don't want to do anything about it because it involves a relatively big lifestyle change.

Also, I agree with what CaptainPlanet said about our generation being numb to violence.

·
Registered
290 Posts
I find sometimes men in general (at least here in the UK) find it almost wimpish in going veggie, and wont admit to weaknesse's about animals.

Just cook him some cheatin meat dishes and he wont know the difference if you dont tell him!. Then after a few days of eating cheatin meats you then tell him. That would shut him up!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks to everyone for the replies!

Actually my husband rang me up from work yesterday to say that he'd been thinking about it and he'd be happy for me to just cook vege food and not buy him any meat at all. He says he still wants to be a meat eater but he won't mind me buying/cooking just vege food. I thought that was a good start and was really good of him.

I've been thinking about it and actually I can understand where he's coming from because I don't feel ready to go vegan yet and I wouldn't appreciate it if someone gave me a guilt trip over the dairy industry all the time. I'm reducing my dairy intake just like he's reducing his meat intake so I suppose we all have to do things when we are ready.

Humans are crap really, aren't we...

·
Banned
115 Posts
I know how you feel the meet you meat video was what turned me veggie also. It made me feel sick, and i cried for days. I don't think i'm over sensitive. I think some people are just damn heartless and don't care about it unless its a person being hurt.

Many of my friends are like this, about 3 of my friends watched it and said they didn't like it but kept on eating meat, it made me angry.

I don't know why people can watch that and then carry on...its gross...

Fran x

·
Registered
44 Posts
I don't know why people watch these videos and can't change. Just ignorance I suppose.

Quote:

Humans are crap really, aren't we...
Some of us are. Not all of us, never forget that.

·
Registered
290 Posts
I was veggie for 14 yrs before I went vegan. Although there is a few out there who go from being a meat eater to vegan, its a big step and I should imagine a difficult one. Take a step at a time, go veggie, there is plenty of veggie choice out there. Quorn products are fine for veggies.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.