VeggieBoards banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was sure that I read on the UK Wrigley's website earlier this year that skittles were vegan. I recently picked up a packet, but before I scoffed them, I thought I'd check their website again. The skittles no longer say vegetarian, let alone vegan. I e-mailed them and they said that skittles aren't vegetarian. Was I wrong about skittles being vegetarian/vegan or have they changed the ingredients again?

I'm new here, so please forgive me if this has already been talked about

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
I thought they were veggie too....I don't know what's changed!? It wasn't THAT long ago that I checked. Not that I've had them for years but it's nice having the option.
What are the ingredients on the packet you have? You could just check them all individually online.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I gave them away already, so don't have the packet, but their website has the following ingredients listed,

GLUCOSE SYRUP, SUGAR, FRUIT JUICES(5,1%) (BLACKCURRANT, LIME, ORANGE, STRAWBERRY, LEMON), HYDROGENATED VEGETABLE FAT, ACIDITY REGULATORS (CITRIC ACID, TRISODIUM CITRATE), DEXTRIN, MALTODEXTRIN, FLAVOURINGS, MODIFIED STARCH, COLOURS (E100,E120,E132,E160E,E171),GLAZING AGENT (CARNAUBA WAX), VEGETABLE OIL, ANTIOXIDANT(ASCORBIC ACID), EMULSIFIER (E475)

E120 is from crushed insects. I can't be bothered looking up all the other ingredients. I don't want to eat crushed bugs, so this product isn't an option for me anymore.

They weren't suitable, then they were and now they aren't again

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
I think Jelly tots and tootie fruties are alright though, maybe starburst but that might have been a dream? Lots of own brand shoe-lace type sweets are vegan too (and a weakness of mine
) if you're after sweets.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah, starburst and jelly tots are vegan, but I e-mailed Nestle last year I think, and they said Tootie Fruties aren't suitable. I can't see them in their free from lists either. It's been ages since I ate sweets, but last week I had a sugar craving. I was sure that Skittles were suitable. I'm sure the product page said they were when I last looked. I've done a Google search and found a few websites that say they are vegan in the UK, but those webpages are from one or two years ago, so they must have changed the recipe again.

·
Registered
19,134 Posts
Skittles haven't been vegan in the UK for a long time, I'm afraid. If you really have a craving, you can find vegan ones at the "American" stores online, in London, etc.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
JELLY TOTS ARE VEGAN?! Omg why did noone tell me this. I wonder whether the shop opposite my house has any....

With sweets, if its pink or red I presume its got E120 in it - most do. Beetles are natural, so they use it and say "All natural colours and flavours!!". Gimme a nice red chemical any day thanks.

I dont eat sweets too often (which i bet you cant tell from the response above), but when I do its starbursts. I think Cherry Drops are vegan too but I havent had them in ages

·
Registered
19,134 Posts
*giggle*

If you like gummy stuff, some of Sainsbury's things are vegan (and usually labels). Strawberry pencils and American Hard Gums are, can't remember what else.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Mars's website is a total ballache to navigate. They sent me a list of vegean stuff a few months ago, but I managed to find the Skittles ingredients online.

I seem to remember that the Sour ones were vegan some time (I'm talking maybe 8 years) ago, but they seem to have E120 now, too

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeryFairy View Post

I'm fairly sure Tooty Frooties are vegan...
I thought so too, but I checked and they aren't on the vegan list: http://www.nestle.co.uk/NR/rdonlyres.../VeganList.pdf and I googled the ingrediant list and indeed carmic acid isn't vegan
I always look for E120 but either I'd forgotten about carmic acid or never knew. Either way it's rubbish
I ate some just last week, silly me, you live and learn - it's why I like places like VB to keep me up to date and find the mistakes I make!

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Identity_thief View Post

I thought so too, but I checked and they aren't on the vegan list: http://www.nestle.co.uk/NR/rdonlyres.../VeganList.pdf and I googled the ingrediant list and indeed carmic acid isn't vegan
I always look for E120 but either I'd forgotten about carmic acid or never knew. Either way it's rubbish
I ate some just last week, silly me, you live and learn - it's why I like places like VB to keep me up to date and find the mistakes I make!
BAH. Ingredients lists are so annoying; you have to know the name of the non-vegan item and all its variants and its E number, and the same for anything that may be derived from it... it's a LOT to remember. Thanks for the heads up

1 - 14 of 14 Posts