VeggieBoards banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was wondering if anyone would know how to calculate how many calories i should be getting and how much fat i need daily? and maybe some suggestions on how i can incorporate more calories and healthy fats into my day without having to eat much bigger meals or a lot more meals?

i'm small, and i eat like a small person. i mean i LOVE my food but i just don't eat large quanities most of the time. i do have pigout sessions now and then and i'm a carbaholic but i want to get more calories without having to increase my intake too much because i'm afraid i won't be able to stick to it otherwise. i have a hard time remembering to eat enough in a day, sometimes i'd rather just sit down with a box of crackers or have some ramen noodles rather than cook a full meal

so some basic info on me: i'm about 5'6" and 107 lbs, i'm 22 and i'm vegan. i've never been huge on breakfast, i can't skip breakfast, i never do, but it's always something small and quick like a bagel and cup of hot chocolate or coffee. lunches are usually ramen noodles or something similarly nutritionally empty when i'm home, when i'm at work i bring a pb&j sandwich and usually half of a Clif bar or the other day i had half a bag of apple chips, or an applesauce snack cup. dinners depend on what i'm craving, usually something fried but i try to make it as healthy as possible, i use sunflower oil and nonhydrogenated margarine and use fresh veggies. i get lots of beta carotene but i wonder if i get enough of other things in my choice of veggies.

i usually eat dinner so late at night that i don't even snack after.

i'm such a slacker! help please

·
Registered
4,606 Posts
No one can acurately assess how many calories you need. But whatever you eat, it should be about 30% fat.

For increasing calorie density:

Nut butters are mega good. Spread some almond butter on that morning bagel.

Do you drink soymilk often? Drink the flavored ones instead of plain (extra sugar and tastier too).

Always drink something other than water with meals (that is, something with calories, like juice or soymilk).

Then there's calorie dense veggies: potatoes (obviously), corn, spinach... And beans. beans can be wonderful and calorie-rich.

The best way to approach vegetables: Get a rainbow of colors. Then you'll be getting in all (or close to all) of your nutrients.

·
Registered
7,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks. yeah i do try to do a lot of beans mainly for protein but i didn't know they were high in calories too. i used to buy mixed frozen beans and add them to just about everything, i think next shopping trip i'll try to find those and start doing that again.

the soymilk i use is chocolate but i only have probably just less than half a cup a day, and i'm not big on juice. anything else i drink is usually coffee or coke. not very healthy i know, i tried to cut down on both and failed miserably.

thanks for the ideas

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
instaed of say ramen for lunch, one of my favs is a whole wheat pita with black (tho any are great) beans and salsa--vegan cheese if you dig that. really any veggie in a whole wheat pita is great. especially good if you spread pita with hummus (homemeade or storebought) first.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Honestly, nope, you aren't getting enough zinc, iron, calcium, folate, the Bs, fibre, protein, carbs, fat, calories.

Just so you know, 107 pounds is considered underweight for your height. Consider if you are a very thin person by nature or if this is a product of poor meal planning.

One of the most common signs of zinc deficancy is a lost of appetite. Eat nuts and seeds. Take them with you so you have something to snack on.

Please take care of your body; it's the only one you have.

As a vegan, you need daily (notice that some groups overlap)

6-11 servings of whole grains

*1 slice bread, 2tbsp wheat germ, 1/2 cup cooked grain or pasta

3+ servings of vegetables

*1 cup salad, 1/2 cup vegetables

2+ servings fruit

*1 medium fruit, 1/2 cup fruit, 1/4 cup dried fruit

2-3 servings vegan proteins

*1 cup cooked beans, 1/2 cup tofu, 1 serving veggie meats, 1/4 cup seeds/nuts, 2 cups soy milk, 3tbsp nut butter

6-8 servings Calcium foods:

*1/2 cup FORITIFED soy milk, 1/4 cup calcium set tofu, 1/2 cup calcium enriched OJ, 1/4 cup almonds, 3 tbsp almond butter, 1 cup cooked broccoli, 1 cup high calcium beans (chickpeas, white, navy), 1 tbsp blackstrap molasses, 5 figs

B-12:

*fortified soy milk, processed veggie meats

Omega-3 fatty acid:

*1 tsp unheated flaxseed oil, 1 tbsp canola oil, 3 tbsp walnuts

Vitamin D:

*sunshine, fortified soy milk

·
Registered
7,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i realize 107 is small but i've weighed 107 since i was 12 years old and had been trying to gain weight for years. my weight hasn't dropped or gone up more than 2 or 3 lbs in 10 years. i'm convinced this is my natural weight, as my mom was my size at this age and her mother and sister are both tiny as well

but i've been called underweight all my life and it's kind of offensive

but thanks for the advice, i think i'm gonna make a chart to check off what i eat as i go so i know where i stand throughout the day, maybe that'll help

oh for the record i used to eat quite a lot more, just these last few weeks i've realized that my intake has gone down gradually over winter, i think i just stopped paying attention and keeping track, but i do naturally go through phases where i don't eat much and then phases where i can't seem to eat enough, while i was unemployed i wasn't very active and i think that contributed.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Eat well and if it's your weight, then it's your weight. YOu can't know for sure if you don't eat well, though

btw, I used a vegan food guide. If you're lacto-ovo, add eggs and lower-fat dairy to protein, lower-fat dairy to calcium and vit-d, and dairy and eggs to B-12.

·
Registered
7,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
well it is my weight cause i was eating well up til now, this is a recent thing

though my work schedule sometimes doesn't help. when i first get up i have to eat, skipping breakfast makes me ill, but i can't eat a big meal. it's usually toast or a bagel, just with margarine. then i'll go to work where my "lunch" break is usually 3 or 5 pm. i get an hour break so i could eat more if i knew what to bring, and the mall food court is useless, there's nothing there i can have. when i get home a few hours later i'm so hungry i can't bother with cooking half the time and usually just throw on something quick and then end up going to bed hungry later, or i have a quick snack when i get home and then cook a big dinner an hour or two later.

when i take the time to cook a big dinner it's usually pretty well balanced, i try to have a starch or two and at least 2 veggies and a protein, but those smaller meals are harder to balance, and snacks are almost nonexistant.

i guess i was just hoping for some tricks to add to my intake but without having to add more meals because i don't usually have time

·
Registered
0 Posts
There aren't any huge tricks beyond eating more.

Do you have storage space where you work? Somewhere where you can keep a snack box? In the snack box, keep stocked nuts, seeds, crackers, dried fruit, individual juice boxes.

Have you considered making a large meal on Sundays and eating off it for a few day during the week?

·
Registered
7,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i do that a lot actually, i'll make a big stirfry and make enough for 3 meals. but my roommate has a crockpot so i'm thinking of making a big thing of veg chili and freezing the leftovers. meal ideas aren't really a problem, i think i just need to add more side dishes and snacks

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
What's wrong with being little LF? I am 5' 7" and when I was 20, I weighed 112. I wish I weighed that now!

Yet, you forget to eat? Wow. I wish I would.

·
Registered
7,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
no i don't have a problem with my size. but because of my size i guess, i don't have a real big appetite sometimes and i'm thinking i'm not getting enough calories as a result.

i don't forget to eat though, i love food. just i'll tend to pick the quickest easiest thing, or what i'm craving at the time, and not realize that i need more than that.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts