VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been getting flu shots since the year they came out.

It's highly recommended to me by every single doctor I've been to, as I am a "high-risk patient".

Basically, I have asthma that is usually under control/contained, but when I get a flu, it goes completely insane, and I'm useless for months and months. And I mean months and months.

I once had such a bad case of the flu, it was giving me daily asthma attacks. I was missing too many days of school, and I had to drop out of high school and transfer to homeschool.

So...now I feel bad about getting the flu-shot, because of the whole egg relation. I always knew you couldn't get a flu shot if you were allergic to eggs, but I never put two and two together...duhhh.

Is it "wrong" for me to get a flu shot?

·
Registered
7,858 Posts
it sounds like you need it.

I think that many vegans make exceptions for things as necessary as medication, and I know that I personally wouldn't consider you non-vegan if you got a flu shot. But you have to do what you think is right

It might be a long shot, but you could try asking your doctor about alternatives. I know my vegan friend got an alternative to the tuberculosis vaccination in the form of a series of pills, but that was 1) in the UK and 2) might only apply to vaccinations.

Good luck with whatever you choose

·
Registered
824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank-you! I will ask if there are any alternatives. I think there is something like a flu nasal spray, but I'm not sure it can be given to high-risk patients.

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
Please do it. Risking your your own well-being wouldn't match the damage done.

Veggielove pointed out in another thread last last on the same topic that for every shot 2 eggs are used. That's bad, but it's something else than having the two eggs scrambeld.

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
I would try to base my decision on the following questions:

Would it be reasonable to risk getting the flu (which would make me have daily severe asthma attacks) because I wanted to avoid a medication that was possibly made using eggs, and could therefore be considered "not vegan"? (My personal answer to that would be) NO.

Would it make me "less of a vegan" if I decided to put my personal health over the egg (or parts of it, or hen who layed the egg, okay) involved in making the vaccine for my flu shot? NO.

Can anyone be 100% vegan anyway? NO.

Will I keep trying to be (eat/live/act) vegan in a way that is reasonable and practicable? YES.

·
Registered
8,451 Posts
basicly, there's a medical caveat to veganism.

if something is medically necessary, then it's appropriate to use what is available to you.

·
Registered
885 Posts
Get the shot. As I tell people always in these situations, a dead veg*n saves no animals. You need to be healthy and take care of yourself, if you are out sick for months and months people will blame your veganism and will be discouraged to try a more veg-friendly lifestyle.

Same goes for vegetarians who need medications that contain gelatin, etc. Obviously, if an alternative exists, use that. Since there really isn't a good alternative for the flu shot (the nasal sprays I'm still wary of), get the shot. Take care of yourself! A healthy vegan does a world of good! And don't feel bad about it one bit. Go out there and after your shot, get a nice hummus wrap and think about a nice way to celebrate earth day for the animals :)

·
Registered
78 Posts
If you need the flu shot to keep you healthy then do it. As a vegan I am totally against all animal products and byproducts, but if I were in your (vegan) shoes I would still get the flu shot! You can't risk your health!

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Bluewisdom........you are high risk for flu complications, please get the shot. It will not make you non vegan!

you are NOT a candidate for the nasal spray flu vaccine since you are high risk, and the nasal vax is a live virus.

·
Registered
12,282 Posts
Get it. You dying will not benefit animals in any way. No veg*n of sound mind would risk their own health to avoid a small amount of an animal biproduct.

Isn't it a little late for flu shots though? Only another month or so left in the flu season.

·
Registered
824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank-you everyone. I decided I will continue getting the flu shot, for all of the reasons everyone listed here..you guys are really amazing. *tears*

And yes, I normally get the flu shot in September, so I have quite a while to go before it is time again. I just never made the connection until now that being allergic to eggs = not getting a flu shot = eggs are somehow used in making a flu shot.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluewisdom View Post

Thank-you everyone. I decided I will continue getting the flu shot, for all of the reasons everyone listed here..you guys are really amazing. *tears*

And yes, I normally get the flu shot in September, so I have quite a while to go before it is time again. I just never made the connection until now that being allergic to eggs = not getting a flu shot = eggs are somehow used in making a flu shot.
I'm confused.......are you allergic to egg? Even if you are allergic to eggs if a flu shot is needed, it can still be given, a lot of times they can skin test the flu shot on you and see the reaction and if its determined the benefit outweighs the risk they can give the shot in the md office in case emergency rx is needed.

·
Registered
824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonoluvr View Post

I'm confused.......are you allergic to egg? Even if you are allergic to eggs if a flu shot is needed, it can still be given, a lot of times they can skin test the flu shot on you and see the reaction and if its determined the benefit outweighs the risk they can give the shot in the md office in case emergency rx is needed.
No, I'm not allergic to eggs. But they always tell you right before you get a flu shot that if you are allergic to eggs you shouldn't get the shot. I never made the connection that, therefore, eggs must be used to create the flu shot.

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
When it comes to your health you do what you have to.

I have to be on pain medication because of my knee, which have gelatin in them. I'd rather not have gelatin, but I need the painkillers and anti-inflammatory benefits from the pills.

Sometimes there are corners we just can't cut. Remember that your health comes first. If you're high-risk and you need the shot, get the shot.

·
Registered
19,134 Posts
Ditto to what the others have said. Should you get the flu, and get really ill, you'd likely end up having to take *more* animal products that the minimal amount included in a flu jab.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
I missed the flu jab this year *sob* and got some really bad thing thats going round. joys! Im athsmatic high risk too, and wouldnt think twice about it. theres no way anyone can be 100% vegan - when your health starts to be at risk then sod the animals hehe. (or ask a friend to not have scrambled eggs for breakfast for a day, there its cancelled out!)

·
Banned
4,791 Posts
Might I remind you that Lothar is a Dr. I have found his advice to be very wise, and in my case, more complete than what I was getting from my Drs. If he says get it, you best mind Dr. Lothar.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluewisdom View Post

I've been getting flu shots since the year they came out.

It's highly recommended to me by every single doctor I've been to, as I am a "high-risk patient".

Basically, I have asthma that is usually under control/contained, but when I get a flu, it goes completely insane, and I'm useless for months and months. And I mean months and months.

I once had such a bad case of the flu, it was giving me daily asthma attacks. I was missing too many days of school, and I had to drop out of high school and transfer to homeschool.

So...now I feel bad about getting the flu-shot, because of the whole egg relation. I always knew you couldn't get a flu shot if you were allergic to eggs, but I never put two and two together...duhhh.

Is it "wrong" for me to get a flu shot?
Do what is best for your health over the next year, if it makes you feel better dont feel guilty because you want to feel better.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by isowish View Post

it sounds like you need it.

I think that many vegans make exceptions for things as necessary as medication, and I know that I personally wouldn't consider you non-vegan if you got a flu shot. But you have to do what you think is right

It might be a long shot, but you could try asking your doctor about alternatives. I know my vegan friend got an alternative to the tuberculosis vaccination in the form of a series of pills, but that was 1) in the UK and 2) might only apply to vaccinations.

Good luck with whatever you choose
A little off subject, but those pills are given to patients who have tested positive on a tuberculosis skintest. (And they're horrible - they change how you taste, etc!)

As for the flu shot, I am high-risk as well so I've always gotten the shot. I agree with everyone else. Sometimes, there is no way to cut corners. You have to protect yourself first and foremost.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
I read the other week that they got rid of the TB vaccination alltogether o_O

will be wierd when theres a whole generation of people without that scar!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts