VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I used to get sick quite frequently- it seemed like I always had a cold.

Since becoming a lacto-ovo vegetarian this September, I have not gotten sick once. It seems that every single person on my floor (I live in a dorm) has been sick with awful colds and sore throats for the past few weeks.

Not me!

My roommate is constantly sick, and a few weeks ago she had a terrible cough and fever. And I didn't get sick!!

Have you noticed this as well? Fewer colds, etc?

Is it related to my healthier diet, or is it just a coincidence?

·
Registered
573 Posts
Um...well I noticed the same thing, sort of. I wasn't sick constantly before I was a vegetarian, but I got the normal occassional colds and whatnot like everybody else.

I've been eating a healthy diet for about 3 years now, and yeah I have noticed a difference. It's not really that I don't get sick, but when I do I don't stay sick for long and it's not that bad. My husband had a virus or something for about a week and a half recently, he was in bad shape and in bed a couple of days. I got very similar symptoms, but they were gone the next day. I never had to call in to work or anything.

But that is after three years of eating no meat, little dairy, more whole foods, more organic, more raw, etc. I highly doubt just quitting meat 2 months ago would result in that drastic of a change in your immune system.

·
Registered
195 Posts
It might be 'cos your consuming more vitamin C from fruits and veggies, and that's good for the immune sytem.

I've noticed since going vegan, if I do get a cold, then I (gross alert) don't produce so much snot as I used to and I hear that's because milk produces mucus or summit.

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
I haven't caught anything since becoming vegetarian over a year ago, and I feel even better ever since going vegan. This is despite living with a school aged daughter, and working at her school.

I used to get really sick every spring.

Could be a coincidence. I guess I'll know next time I get sick.

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
I do get sick all the time but with the same illness over and over again.

SO I am sick around every two weeks and I hardly ever get any other sickness.

Once when I was poisoned, I was so used to getting sick routinely from my chronic illness, I get poisoned very badly before I knew any better. I thought I was just having a really severe chronic illness ep at the time.

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
I have a chronic stomach condition, and it hit really bad the week I decided to go vegetarian. It was unrelated, but I thought it was kind of funny because even though the thought of food made me want to
, I could not stop thinking about all the new foods I wanted to try!

I haven't noticed a difference. I think, if anything, a change would be from eating more healthfully. My diet is pretty bad at the moment, and I still get sick as much as I did before.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Teehee! Feel better soon.

I'm not sure if it's from being veg*n versus just eating better, but I can get over colds in a couple of days, now (although I still catch everything, my immune system is a failure) instead of taking weeks like before.

·
Registered
72 Posts
As an omni I used to only get sick once or twice a year and it would be over within a week each time. And right now, I'm sick for the first time since going veg... we'll see how long this lasts (although it isn't very sick, just a minor cold)

·
Registered
548 Posts
I dont think its neccessarily a coincedence, you cant say for sure because there is no one vegetarian diet. You can be vegetarian and eat nothing but potato chips, soda and taco bell. Or you can eat very healthy, lots of veggies, beans, nuts, fruit, etc.

If you went from a crappy normal diet (including meat) to a HEALTHY vegetarian diet, it makes sense why you dont get sick much now. If you still eat like crap its probably just a coincedence.

I eat pretty good and I dont get sick much (at least I havent since being veggie this past year, I got sick real bad once but that was when I was pregnant so that was adding to it I think). I ate pretty good before but I eat TONS more veggies now so I think thats why.

·
Registered
885 Posts
Trust me, as a vegetarian, you still get sick. I do believe I get sick less often, but that is because I'm eating a lot healthier, loads more veggies. Especially in a dorm environment, you are going to get sick a lot, so get a bottle of purell and put in it your room!!! :)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Same here! I get the occasional sniffles or cough, but rarely any snot. I feel great! And when I do get those minor nuisances, I just eat more vitamin C, and it's all gone.

·
Registered
5,670 Posts
I've found since going vegan I am a lot more alert. When I was in university I slept during every class I had, even though I lived off-campus and kept a regular schedule with no late nights. I tried caffeinating myself but that didn't help. I suspect it's related to healthier eating overall that came with veg*nism.

Also, I used to get painful muscle cramps in my neck nearly every day. Since i stopped consuming dairy I haven't had it happen in more than two years. I am almost certain I was lactose intolerant.

I have never been one to get sick often though, even as a child when my parents didn't feed me fruit or vegetables.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts