VeggieBoards banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just went vegan about two weeks ago and I was mentioning my decision to my friends. One of my buddies is severely lactose-intolerant. (Hilarious, yet sad, backstory about him vomiting on a kindergarten teacher who wouldn't let him go to recess until he drank his milk).

Anyway, I was pretty surprised that HE (of all people) found my decision shocking. He was like, "How/why are you going to do that?" I just said, "Well, YOU'VE lived without dairy for 28 years, why can't I???"

·
Registered
0 Posts
They might feel that its a burden as they didnt chose to,

Its just been something that they HAD to live with.

And they probably cant see much reason as to why you would voluntarily give it up! (Unless of course they are into animal rights etc)

I suppose its pretty justified for them to feel shocked,

In a strange way its like telling a deaf person youre going to cut off your ears, but just to us it seems a lot more reasonable.

Danny

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Well i have some sort of intolerance for dairy (like 70% of population) yet i could still consume small amounts if i wanted to.

But i choose to refrain from eating dairy altogether and people don't understand that i don't eat it because i don't want it rather than because i can't.

·
Registered
8,440 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by sunnyk

Anyway, I was pretty surprised that HE (of all people) found my decision shocking. He was like, "How/why are you going to do that?" I just said, "Well, YOU'VE lived without dairy for 28 years, why can't I???"
Being Lactose intolerant doesn't mean you can't have dairy.

Depending on how worse it is, you can use cheese or sour-milk products in which the lactose is broken down.

And he probably uses meat, and to not use milk is not a decision he made with his mind, but it was made for him.

That's the difference.

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You guys are all right, of course. But what I mean was that non-veg people so often express their "health concerns" about us being veg*n. I figured he would be the one guy who would realize that it's entirely possible to survive and thrive without dairy products. I wouldn't say he doesn't eat any, but only things like whey or whatever -- the "hidden" ingredients that occur in trace amounts. He never has any cheese, milk, or creamy foods.

I just thought it was ironic and funny!!

·
Registered
8,440 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by sunnyk

You guys are all right, of course. But what I mean was that non-veg people so often express their "health concerns" about us being veg*n.
I love that fraise: "your right".

In general people don't know what healty is, but asume that what they it is.

It's the commercials that make them believe you need all the non-vegan stuff.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Random but I came across an article in the science section of the paper a while ago (it was posted and here I am just to lazy to find it) that talked about them discovering that the ability to break down lactose is actually the mutation and the norm is that people don't have that ability. Interesting and kinda cool.

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah, and you'd think my buddy would be aware of how many people have this intolerance, and therefore would be clued in to the idea that milk is not necessarily "good for you."

1 - 10 of 10 Posts