VeggieBoards banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so I've never bought tofu before, and I was looking at it in the store. There were two kinds, one a silken kind in a cardboard type box by a brand called mironu or something like that. The other kind was in a plastic container with a see through plastic cover. It was really curdy looking; kind of gross looking really. Anyway, I got the silken kind and tried in in stir fry. I'm sure you can guess what happened...fell right apart. Should I have used the other kind? And what consitency is best for a stir fry? Extra firm? I found a health food store; I'm hoping they have some better choices. I'm going to check them out soon.

·
Registered
927 Posts
Yes, the firm tofu is what you need for stir-frying, baking, etc. (It's a good idea to press it first to drain off the excess liquid, then marinate it to give it more flavor.)<br><br><br><br>
The silken tofu is used for dips, sauces, and that sort of thing.

·
Registered
190 Posts
firm silken tofu is good for firm dips, veg burgers and some cakes.<br><br>
soft silken tofu is great for thin, smooth dips or cheescakes or a hundred and one different things.<br><br><br><br>
non-silken tofu tends to be very firm and suitable for stir frying. Like Seusomon said, it is good to drain the marinade it. One technique that I use when I really want loads of flavour, is to wrap the tofu in a fair few sheets of kitchen paper then place on top of an upside plate then put weights on it. This will drain a lot of liquid out and it'll run down the plate instead of pooling around the tofu. I leave it overnight then in the morning marinade it for the evening meal.<br><br><br><br>
This method works really well but if you are like me and can't be arsed to do that every time then just squeeze away lots of water by hand then flash fry in hot oil adding the marinade to it so that it seals the tofu with the marinade. Firm and tasty on the outside and soft on the inside. This does spit a little though.

·
Administrator
19,873 Posts
If you can get cubed tofu I highly recommend it...<br><br><br><br><a href="http://www.nasoya.com/nasoya/tofu_cubed.html" target="_blank">http://www.nasoya.com/nasoya/tofu_cubed.html</a><br><br><br><br>
We never had much luck with tofu but this stuff is excellent. We get it at Meijer.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Please do elaborate on the tofu @[email protected] I'm quite confused with all these fancy smancy different type of tofu...I'm quite old school and very chinese. In most of the chinese markets I go to, they give me the option of firm, regular silken, the egg tofu in the tube, fermented tofu, the five spice tofu and the other spiced tofu. Normally, I purchase <a href="http://ethnic.vitasoy-usa.com/ethnic/" target="_blank">Vitasoy Ethnic brand</a> Tofu. What is this firm silken tofu and soft silken tofu I hear of? Hahaha I thought silken was just silken and soft. There's a firm type @[email protected] I'm so amazed hahahah

·
Registered
167 Posts
Don't buy the cardboard kind for stir-fries. Even the one they call firm... The only kind that's adequate to fry and cook in a pan (or even bake) is the extra-firm water-packed kind...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts