VeggieBoards banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi- can I substitute firm silken tofu for regular firm tofu? I'm trying to make the Deluxe Cocoa Brownies in the Vegan Cookies Invade Your Cookie Jar book.

Thanks!

·
Registered
12,282 Posts
Sometimes recipes call for certain tofus for a reason; sometimes not. You could try. I think at worst it might be a little mushier than expected.

·
Registered
153 Posts
My sister (not a veg*n) unknowingly used silken tofu instead of firm tofu in some muffins that she made for me. They had a slightly different consistency than other vegan muffins that I have had, maybe a bit moister. They were still quite delicious and quite popular with me and my non-veg*n family. I'd think you're probably safe with the substitution.

·
Super Moderator
8,961 Posts
The recipe actually calls for firm silken tofu - not regular firm. I haven't seen anything called firm silken, but haven't looked either.
I would think to add maybe an extra teaspoon cornstarch, and be sure to press out the water.
Now subbing reg tofu for silken I think would be a mistake.

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Do you want to use the silken tofu, or the regular tofu? You title is sort of confusing. I would imagine the recipe calls for silken tofu, but you want to use regular?

·
Super Moderator
8,961 Posts
The recipe calls for FIRM SILKEN. the op says she only has silken, which is all I ever see, but many recipes call for anything from soft silken, reg silken, and firm silken.

·
Registered
12,282 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by silva View Post

The recipe calls for FIRM SILKEN. the op says she only has silken, which is all I ever see, but many recipes call for anything from soft silken, reg silken, and firm silken.
Mori Nu makes different silkens - firm, soft, etc... - it's the shelf stable tofu in aseptic packs.

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
I would think varieties of silken tofu would be pretty interchangeable, especially in a baked item.

Regular tofu (the water packed kind) instead of silken might be more difficult -- you'd definitely want to puree it well.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts