1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
7,245 Posts
I think it depends on the online vegan community you frequent. On some forums people don't care, but on others people are kinda serious about who they give their money too, and have known this for quite a while.

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by SomebodyElse View Post

I think it depends on the online vegan community you frequent. On some forums people don't care, but on others people are kinda serious about who they give their money too, and have known this for quite a while.
I just see a lot of people discussing Silk on VB, and I wasn't sure whether or not they know. So I figured I'd create a thread about it.

·
Registered
4,026 Posts
I wrote this in another thread but it's the same topic so I'll share again here:

If vegans choose to avoid Silk, it doesn't matter. If vegans choose to buy Silk, it doesn't matter either. Vegans' nickels and dimes won't make or break the brand because the product isn't specifically for vegans. That's because vegans are NOT the target consumers for Silk. NONvegans are the target consumers.

Don't overinflate what your pennies can do for animals. Instead, look to what YOU can do for animals. Do vegan education, leaflet, blog, get active.

If you boycott Silk but you never spend any time leafleting or writing letters to politicians or attending protests... you're not really doing much for animals. An active vegetarian probably helps tons more animals than an inactive vegan.

·
Herbivorous Urchin
9,717 Posts
Yea, this isn't new information.

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ignore it then.

LIKE I SAID, it is intended for people who don't know this. I didn't know this for a long time.

And ElaineV, I think it is possible to do both. I also don't buy products that use sweatshop or child labor. I'm not comfortable giving my hard-earned money to companies that use practices that I believe are unethical.

·
Registered
892 Posts
News to me, that sucks I might not keep buying silk, I've been debating not buying it anyways since it does have a lot of ingredients it doesn't really need in it.
But silk chocolate almond milk is so good cause it has real cocoa in it, where as most brands use carob.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
I already knew this, too, but thanks for putting the information out there for those who didn't know, sequoia.
I choose to buy Silk because the other brands of soy milk available in our stores are a combination of non-organic and/or not as good. When a better choice becomes available, I'll switch.

While I agree that supporting ethical companies is the best thing we can do, the next best thing is supporting non-ethical companies' ethical product lines. It's nearly impossible to buy everything we use from ethical companies: most companies do shady things at some point or another, and sometimes not so much by choice so much as just to survive in a competitive, capitalistic world.

So, my own say in that matter would be that if people can get organic soy milk from an ethical company, that's the best choice, but if you're stuck, I think Silk is also a decent choice, as you're encouraging a nasty company to switch to more ethical practices. It may not be making all that much difference yet, but once we've got greater numbers of vegans and people avoiding dairy for other reasons, Silk will respond by switching over to more soy (etc.) milk production, less involvement with dairy.

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimberlily1983 View Post

I already knew this, too, but thanks for putting the information out there for those who didn't know, sequoia.
I choose to buy Silk because the other brands of soy milk available in our stores are a combination of non-organic and/or not as good. When a better choice becomes available, I'll switch.

While I agree that supporting ethical companies is the best thing we can do, the next best thing is supporting non-ethical companies' ethical product lines. It's nearly impossible to buy everything we use from ethical companies: most companies do shady things at some point or another, and sometimes not so much by choice so much as just to survive in a competitive, capitalistic world.

So, my own say in that matter would be that if people can get organic soy milk from an ethical company, that's the best choice, but if you're stuck, I think Silk is also a decent choice, as you're encouraging a nasty company to switch to more ethical practices. It may not be making all that much difference yet, but once we've got greater numbers of vegans and people avoiding dairy for other reasons, Silk will respond by switching over to more soy (etc.) milk production, less involvement with dairy.
I agree. Fortunately I have many soymilk options available to me.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sequoia View Post

I agree. Fortunately I have many soymilk options available to me.
What's your favorite?

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The kind that I make myself

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Quote:

The kind that I make myself
Oooh, I've been wanting to try this sometime, too.

What brands do you like, though? And anyone else feel free to answer, too.

·
Registered
4,026 Posts
Quote:

And ElaineV, I think it is possible to do both. I also don't buy products that use sweatshop or child labor. I'm not comfortable giving my hard-earned money to companies that use practices that I believe are unethical.
Of course it's possible to do both. Go for it!
Just please don't chastise people whose views are slightly different from yours in regards to Silk soymilk.

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElaineV View Post

Of course it's possible to do both. Go for it!
Just please don't chastise people whose views are slightly different from yours in regards to Silk soymilk.
I don't think I was chastising so much as imploring.

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimberlily1983 View Post

Oooh, I've been wanting to try this sometime, too.

What brands do you like, though? And anyone else feel free to answer, too.
Soy Dream. Their ice creams are yummy too.

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
I believe in buying products that are themselves ethical. Not necessarily buying every single thing from companies that are all-vegan. If I insisted on only buying from companies that were 100% vegan, I would never be able to shop in a regular grocery store or eat at a regular restaurant, and that's just not how my life is set up.

Not to mention that if we boycott otherwise vegan products like Silk, we teach their manufacturers that there is no demand for these products, which does not help animals.

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashlend View Post

I believe in buying products that are themselves ethical. Not necessarily buying every single thing from companies that are all-vegan. If I insisted on only buying from companies that were 100% vegan, I would never be able to shop in a regular grocery store or eat at a regular restaurant, and that's just not how my life is set up.

Not to mention that if we boycott otherwise vegan products like Silk, we teach their manufacturers that there is no demand for these products, which does not help animals.
Again, the point of this thread is to educate people so they can make the decision themselves. If buying a soymilk that isn't Silk isn't an option for you, then that's that.

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashlend View Post

^ Ok, I get it. And I do appreciate your viewpoint
I appreciate yours too. I really do understand why people continue to buy Silk when they know this. I don't think there is a right or wrong answer to the dilemma, its just about what you are comfortable doing.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts