VeggieBoards banner

*SIGH* Dh and new car...

937 views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  bekajoi 
#1 ·
We have a 2006 Scion XB right now... really like it, but it costs more than we can really afford right now with dh's job situation, and doesn't have cruise control so highway travel is odd... and it gets 32MTG in town, which is NICE, but as it is geared for city driving, going over 60mph takes our milage down to 27-28mtg....

Anyway. Dh and I have been talking about getting a new car, trading in for a nice used car, etc, to lower payments and get something that better fits our family. The thing I really would like right now is a hybrid, but it's out of our price range.

He just called me from the dealership and is doing paperwork on a new one... apparently one random thing about it is that leather seats are standard. (it's a 2000 Subaru Outback wagon of some kind)

And not only that, it doesn't have LATCH and Tether carseat attachments. I cannot BELIEVE he would get something that attaches the carseats with a seatbelt.

UGH. I understand we need something in our price range, and he is trying to find the *best* car for us. And he doesn't realize the leather thing is bothersome to me as I've not discussed it with him. (it wasn't a problem before this) But a 5* crash test rating is all fine and good until a seatbelt malfunctions and our child is thrown from the car.

(Had to say something somewhere... ramble ramble, yet again...)

See less See more
#2 ·
just needed to vent... I'm not thoroughly worried about it, just am bothered a bit that he thought about it but didn't rule the car out due to the carseat thing... I think he figures the crash test overrules the seatbelts/latch thing...

#4 ·
I don't know anything about seatbelts but that and the leather seats sound pretty serious. I would want to vent about it too. So is he for sure getting it, can you do anything to persuade him? If you do get it maybe you could sell it later and get something you like better, so maybe it could just be what you use for now.

#5 ·
He's already working on signing papers and will probably have it home tonight. I did speak with him, but as he is the one paying for it and driving it most of the time, I have let him know I trust his judgement and as long as it is safe and in good working condition, the rest is no problem.

My thing is the carseat deal and safety. The leather seats I can deal with to a point. He doesn't realize that it bothers me so he didn't think to take it into consideration. But carseat safety is a BIG deal.

Anyway, I have talked to him, and just wanted to vent a little while I was thinking about it.

#7 ·
You can have Tether installed on a car that already has LATCH but cannot install LATCH on a car that does not already come equipped. I've looked into it for MIL's car.

And we typically do pay cash for our cars, but our old one was about to die and we would have to take out a loan (as it was an unexpected transmission problem and we hadn't been saving toward a new one yet), and we decided to go with something that had a good warantee on it without having to pay extra for it.

Ah well. (whine whine)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.