VeggieBoards banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to the doctor for some anxiety/depression related issues and she prescribed Lexapro for the short-term. I read about the side effects on line, but I was wondering if anyone had any real experience with this medication?

·
Banned
2,587 Posts
I took lexapro for 3 years, for me it was not a good decision to take this medication. First of all i was prescribed this by a family doctor, not a mental health professional. Started w samples....
I also have anxiety and depression, the medicine did not improve this for me, just made me not care about ANYTHING!
I found myself cheating, stealing, speeding and generally not being safe. All very out if character for me as im cautios by nature.
Physically i gained weight even though i hardly ate bc of no appetite. Slept 9-12 hours a day (6 is normal for me). Towards the end my head felt like it was floating and my body felt numb, i was also upped to a high dose by that time. The worst part was when i asked if i could stop the lexapro doctor advised against it, eventhough i was also supposed to be short term. I stopped on my own slowly lowering doses myself over 6 weeks, this time made me realize how serious these drugs really are, i had to literally detox and the symptoms of that were almost unbearable. I couldnt drive for 2 weeks bc my vision was distorted and my reaction times were way off. My head/neck muscles twitched constantly, sleeping was difficult and my emotions were all over.

For some people these drugs can help, but certainly not as many as are prescribed them.
Questions to ask are: how long is the medication intended for, months, years? What is it like when its time to stop? And most importantly can u get counseling/therapy along w or in place of medication?

Counseling is a great way to kearn to handle anxiety insteaf of just masking it with drugs. My therapists use cognitive behavioural therapy that helps to develop skills and change thoughts to lessen anxiousness. Has helped me a lot. Also regular vigorous exercise is very helpful, when we excercise we create brain chemicals that helo us feel better, its like a natural drug.

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
my sister took this years ago and she said it helped her lose the weight. However, I tried it and I couldn't see no difference in my depression. I tried many pills and they don't help me. So i am doing natural ways and meditations to get rid of my depression and anxiety.

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
Keep in mind that side effects for medications will vary from person to person. I've been on medications that worked well for me and I experienced very few side effects. I've heard from others that that same medication had horrible effects on them and they had to switch to something else.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts