VeggieBoards banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife and I just found a sick cat down the street from us today. This little guy looks to be about 4-6 months with a beautiful brown coat with black ears, feet, and tail tip. His face was covered in what appeared to be dried mucous. When he stands up he wobbles like he's dizzy. Underneath his coat of fluff he's all bones. He's probably dehydrated and starved. We, don't want anymore cats, but we couldn't just leave it there to die in the cold. Is there any place that we can take him that won't immediately euthanize him? In the mean time what is a good liquid food we can feed him? Pedialite?

In general, since we can't afford to give vet care to every needy animal we find, what are some suggestions for when we find an abandoned animal in need?

·
Registered
3,477 Posts
Don't feed pedialite, too much sugar. Maybe a kitten milk or something like that? anyway, you might be able to find a rescue that isn't animal control to take him, or some vets will take stray animals and treat them, you'll have to call around.

ETA: when our kittens were sick the vet reccomended a high calorie paste to suppliment their food, I can't remember what it was called but they sell it at petsmart, etc. in the cat section you should be able to find it pretty easily.

·
Registered
12,079 Posts
You could try a google search for animal rescue places in your area. I'm in NY and I tried that once and came up with a list of places to call. Let us know how you make out.

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
The tragedy of the unwanted

if you have space and income, maybe you can foster the cat a while until not so starved. I assume the healthier the more likley someone will adopt.

·
Registered
6,902 Posts
Hills prescription a/d is for cats who have not been eating for a while and have lost a lot of weight.

http://www.hillspet.com/zSkin_2/prod...=1165193486046

It can be purchased at many vet's and I've seen it at Petsmart. It is called prescription diet, but you don't need a prescription. However, some vets may not want to sell it to you if they haven't seen your cat.

This cat may also be anemic from fleas. I would really consider taking it to the vet to get at least the bare minimum to get him started until he puts on enough weight to go find a new home.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Fostering him is an option. I'd even take him to the vet if it would only cost around $40. My wife and I will call around tomorrow. Thanks for that prescription a/d info. I'd love to use it if he would actually open his mouth. I've been feeding him diluted milk through the side of his mouth.

·
Registered
12,079 Posts
I understand your dilemma and not wanting any more cats. I have four myself. But I'm glad he found someone like you to take him in, even if it is only for the night!

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I got home from practicing tonight and he was still in the same shape he was in when I left so I sang to him for a while (Across the Universe) and he kneeded the shirt he was wraped in for a while. The he started breathing in intesely labored gasps about 20 seconds apart. After a few of those he twitched like he was scratching himself, stretched, and then breathed and moved no more. I tried to artificially respiarte him but his lungs sounded like they were filled with fluid and he didn't respond.
It makes me so sad. Maybe the next animal we rescue will have better luck. Thanks for your advice everyone.

·
Registered
119 Posts
In the future I would call the vet and ask. Explain to them that you can't afford vet care for all the animals you take in, but you need an antibiotic (sounds like an upper respiratory infection from the mucous) and perhaps to give some fluids to the cat. Not all vets will be this accomodating- you may need to shop around for the right vet that will help you- but where I work, we hook people up with just medicine, or fluids, or even vaccinations they can administer themselves if they can't afford a vaccination.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts